Speed King or Iron Cobra?

General Sherman

Hi all-

I have been using an WFL Speed King for a while now, and have become fairly proficient with the action. But it can also be a workout. So I got an Iron Cobra Power Glide in hopes of using a more modern pedal. While easier to use, I noticed that it is not as precise or light as the Speed King, and was wondering if that is more user error or just differences in direct drive/chain action. I'm sure it is personal feel preferences, but if anyone has an opinion, let me know.

Hi all-

I have been using an WFL Speed King for a while now, and have become fairly proficient with the action. But it can also be a workout. So I got an Iron Cobra Power Glide in hopes of using a more modern pedal. While easier to use, I noticed that it is not as precise or light as the Speed King, and was wondering if that is more user error or just differences in direct drive/chain action. I'm sure it is personal feel preferences, but if anyone has an opinion, let me know.

... easy one- SPEED COBRA

Hi all-

Difference in direct drive and chain drive, different type of spring system and cobras are just a heavy pedal

...was wondering if that is more user error or just differences in direct drive/chain action.

Not user error, if you've been playing for years, you can adjust to 'any' pedal, takes about 6 hrs, or 1 good gig.

I wouldn't put SPEED KING (especially WFL-older) in today's category of direct drive pedals, these are different animals, a higher level of precise action.

IRON COBRA is heavy all over the place, chain, foot board, cam... like Konaboy said, "Its just a heavy pedal."

SPEED COBRA addresses the weight issues of the IRON COBRA.

Give it some time and you will have adjusted to your Iron Cobra. I grew up on an old Speed King years ago too. When faced with having to sit in on a kit with a Speed King just recently, it took me a little to get used to it again. But it was oddly like going home....

I went from playing a Speed King for over thirty years to playing a Cobra about five years ago.
I sold the Vintage Speedo last year on craigs after letting it collect dust for a while.

I haven't looked back.

Perhaps I'm a little hesitant to 're-learn' my pedal technique from my IC, which I love, to another pedal.

Does anyone know if Tama plans to discontinue the IC in favor of the new Speed Cobra or will they carry both models?

The Speed King and the Iron Cobra are two completely different pedals.​
Compression springs vs. expansion spring​
Direct drive vs. chain drive​
Finding the right pedal for you is all about personal preference. Get your feet on as many pedals as you can. Only then, will you know, what works best, for you.​

Attachments

• 135-3599_IMG.JPG
    135-3599_IMG.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,316
  • 135-3598_IMG.JPG
    135-3598_IMG.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 1,370
Would the Iron Cobra Flexi Glide give a better feel? I'm not sure about what "floating action" means with the pedal description. Any info?

I think as has been previously stated a few times, that the new speed cobras may be your answer. Much lighter than the iron cobras so should be slightly more like the feel of the speed king, however not the same due to the difference between chain and direct drive.

I think the term "Floating Action" was just a model name for the original Gretsch Floating Action pedal. This was the pedal that spawned the Camco, which later became the DW5000.

I got a chance to play somebody's Gretsch Floating Action pedal and it did feel like my foot was floating - like there was no pedal under my foot at all. It felt pretty good and was responsive. Hell, Steve Gadd played one in his first video - it looked old back then! It was small and very light to me, probably why it was so popular.

If I may suggest another pedal to our OP - how 'bout the Tama Iron Cobra Jr.? I just went through a DW9000 phase, and a Trick Pro-1V phase, but for some reason really like my Cobra Jr. I bought two of them on eBay for $30 each, and it flies just as fast as that DW9000 to me.

The Floating Action to which the Iron Cobra refers is probably the soft, sort of spongy, feel of the Flexi Glide. I have a flexi that I used on my electronic kit and now use to play a tamborine or cowbell next to my hi hat. I like it in these applications, but never really dug it on the bass drum.

My experience with direct drive pedals is limited, but it seems to me that the Flexi is the opposite of a direct drive feel.

Wow, that looks like a sweet pedal. I'm also currently using a vintage Speedking but I'm finding that it has too much "play" on the linkages. I've been looking at a good solid single but there are just too many choices out there.

On a side note, perhaps Harryconway can help me out here, I noticed you post that image on every thread about the speedking, so I gather you've tinkered with these a bit...

I'm wondering if you can remove that pin that holds the heel plate to the base. I was hoping to replace it with another pin and reinforce with nylon washers. Also, how hard is it to fabricate a solid foot plate like yours?

I like the light spring and heavy footboard of my Cobra.
It is the most interesting pedal that I have ever owned. I have, and have had many pedals.
My other favorite pedal is my 80s vintage Tama pedal that was once the slave for a double.
I use it as a single now.
Tama makes interesting pedals to say the least.

Back