Double Pedal Buying Giude

ross24

Ok I'm sure there's loads of threads dealing with what DP to buy, but how about how to buy. What makes one pedal different and what are the different features to look at? And if you wouldn't mind suggest some budget(under300, under 250 preferred) pedals.

Thanks

Ok I'm sure there's loads of threads dealing with what DP to buy,

More threads on double pedals than just about any other topic here on Drummerworld. It's well worth doing a search on. I'd doubt there'd be any ground left to cover on existing pedals.

but how about how to buy.

Walk into a drum store, grab a kick practice pad, grab one of each pedal, start playing them all. Getting your feet on them really is the best way to know what you like/don't like. Sure you can ask here, but you'll get a million recommendations on what other guys are playing....it won't necessarily mean that you'll like them just because they do, though.

The "feel" from a pedal can be quite personal. the best way to figure out what works for you is by trying as many as you can.

What makes one pedal different and what are the different features to look at?

There's a multitude of factors, from:
Adjustability - some can be tailored a million ways (light feel/heavy feel, longboard/shortboard, chain drive/strap drive, agressive beater attack/feathered beater attack...the list is endless) others have only basic adjustable features (footbaord angle and beater adjustment).
to Durability - some are rock solid, others are flimsy,
to Feel - chain, strap or direct drive, light feel/heavy feel.

I can't comment on price, but I can safely say that the best way to know what you like is to get your feet on them.

I hate it when people blurt out a specific product and say "just buy that cos it's the best" but I'm gunna do it - save yourself a headache and buy some DW9000s. I only say it cos there's so much you can adjust on the pedals that you will be able to make them feel right for you.

If your budget was in £ then buy them 2nd hand. There's a million and one different things that are gunna affect your choice by testing out lots of pedals in a shop - is the skin on the kit you're testing them more tight/less tight than yours, are you being hurried cos someone else wants a go, is the stool in the shop at the same height as yours, is the salesman pushing a particular make because he uses them, are the pedals setup how the last person who tested them out wanted them or are they factory presets...the list can go on...

I wouldn't be so narrow minded and have said what I hate to hear unless I thought it would save you a lot of confusion, stress and time.

I just picked up a Pearl Power Shifter Eliminator Belt drive double pedal off ebay for $275. Let me tell you, there are pedals out there that cost more than twice what I paid, but for the life of me I really don't know how a more expensive double pedal could be even slightly better than this one. The action is so smooth and clean. This pedal is in your price range and I would highly recommend it.

That is the one. I played on them last night for the second time and I am playing with more speed and control than I ever have.

Let us know which pedals you go with.

PFOG summed it up perfectly. Take your time and find the right pedal that feels the most comfortable for you. We can all make suggestions to you but ultimately it's YOUR decision on what you want. Good luck!

There are many good pedals out there for your price range.

Like these-

1. DW 7000
2. Pearl eliminators
3.Tama Iron Cobra (if you want to spend a couple more dollars)

There are many others but I recommend you go to your local music store and try them out.

Whats the difference between dw 7000 and dw 3000, did they stop makin 7000 cuz they are not listed on DW's website

I've been trying to decide between two pedals myself.. I am only a hobbyist, and only play on an E-Drum set. I have close neighbors.. It was my only option.. LOL..

Anyway, I am trying to decide between the Iron Cobra and the Iron Cobra Jr. I've been looking at the two extensively, and I am thinking for use on an E-Kit, the Iron Cobra would just be a waste of the extra $200. The added features seem to favor acoustic kits more so than E-Kits.

Is my assessment of the two pedals correct?

Thanks,

Whats the difference between dw 7000 and dw 3000, did they stop makin 7000 cuz they are not listed on DW's website

Yes they stopped making the DW 7000 but the exact same pedal is just in a different number which I think is 3000. They changed the number because people got confused on which pedal was better 5000 or 7000. The 5000 is better but it was a lower number so they changed the 7000 to the 3000.

Back