Renown 57 Bop and regular Renown 18" bass drum head thread

gpxsrxracer

I've found a few threads and postings on bass heads for the 18" Renown 57 and regular 18" Renown drums. A single thread would be great with all the info in one spot. For the sake of not making this complicated and not for every 18 manufactures kit, I would like to limit this to just the renown line. Just way too many variables with wood, bearing edges, hoops...ect ect.

So I'll start, I have the stock EQ4 Clear on mine right now, thinking of going with a EMAD clear batter. Looking for deep, punchy and very little sustain. I plan on keeping my stock resonate head and doing a porthole or a Kickport. What say you?

Ok, I was at my local drum shop tonight, very reputable place, he's been working there for 30 years and told me on most any 18" bass drum, the majority of the time, you cannot beat an EMAD with the small foam ring. He carries Aquarian, Evans and Remo everything...hes more of a Remo guy and his personal kits he runs Remos with a EMAD. he also told me to change out ALL the reso's, including the Bass/Kick reso, he can get me a Remo with the Gretsch logo on it. he told me it will make it sound even better with the new reso head and a felt strip and the EMAD on the batter. Oh yeah, he doesn't like Kickports, even though they sell them, or have them for sale. When we play out, most of the time we mike my kick anyway so we can eq in the sound we want anyway. He told me the G1's are fine, id be kinda stupid to not use them for the time being. he has the bigger brother kit with the 22" bass and 5 piece in the same motor city Red color and he did all the same to his and he said it sounds amaizing for the cost. So, Ill be sticking to useing the G1's for now.

Looking for other setups for comparison and just general info...

It would seem the EMAD would be too much muffling on an 18" kick.

I guess it depends on what style of music you are playing though.

It would seem the EMAD would be too much muffling on an 18" kick.

I guess it depends on what style of music you are playing though.
Agreed. I have the 22" and the 18" stock heads on my two 57 kits. If anything I would open up the sound with a none muffling head. I really don't like the slapping sound that the foam ring gives to the drum from behind the kit with the EMAD.

U dont have to use any foam ring, the 2 foam rings give you easy adjustment, perfect for different rooms and venues. Ive had a EMAD in the past on my 22" Rockstar kick and ran without a ring before. If you want a jazzy sound, Id stick with the stock EQ4. It was quite boomy even in my basement which has alot of sound deadning in it. I dont hate the sound out of the kick with the stock heads, I just want to make it less boomy and more rock thuddy style, to match what we play.

Im useing this kit for Rock/Alternative/Modern/Pop, not jazz. I guess I should have posted that. Its all relative to opinion, and Im hopeing in this thread that everyone posts their setups and their opinions and what they are trying to achieve soundwise, be it jazz or rock or whatever. There is no right or wrong answer...and keep it in a single thread, thus avoiding searching for HOURS on this!

I use an Evans EQ3 as the batter head on my Gretsch Catalina 18" bass drum and the EQ3 Resonant on the front. It sounds very good. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:
I'm not sold on the EMAD as the head I would want to use.

I'm going to use Vintage E's over Vintage A's on the toms, and snare. I had thought about the same for the BD, but now I think, I will go with E's on both sides, with no felt or other dampening. This should give a good low end while leaving a little bit of life in the drum.

I'm using a Gibralter 4611 pedal with a replacement full felt beater. I may try a wood beater as well, but that is not for certain.

I use an Evans EQ3 as the batter head on my Gretsch Catalina 18" bass drum and the EQ3 Resonant on the front. It sound very good. Peace and goodwill.
Both heads is a good idea

I'm not sold on the EMAD as the head I would want to use.

I'm going to use Vintage E's over Vintage A's on the toms, and snare. I had thought about the same for the BD, but now I think, I will go with E's on both sides, with no felt or other dampening. This should give a good low end while leaving a little bit of life in the drum.

I'm using a Gibralter 4611 pedal with a replacement full felt beater. I may try a wood beater as well, but that is not for certain.
Please let us know of your findings when you change your heads...sound clips too, if you can. I'm really interested in the wood beater findings too. Could sound really good.

I'm re assembling my kick right now, decided on no felt for the reso, I used the stock supplied reso and put a 4" hole for miking. Then the EMAD. After I get it tuned and use it this Saturday I'll update. I still plan on getting a new Remo reso with the Gretsch logo on it soon. I had to buy a flat snare stand today, so like everything else, I need to get stuff in steps.

My guy at my music store told me as far as heads, anything you put on there that is a good non imported head will sound good, your starting with a great Gretsch drum shell design and that's the key.

Hi folks

I have a black 57 and a blue Bop 57.
The black is the Euro "rock" sizes kit.
I have to say I'm really happy with all the Evans heads supplied.
The 18 Bop kick seems punchy enough with the supplied EQ4.
I don't go in for any other muffling or porting.
Having heard both kits back via smartphone video recordings at 5-10 ft away, both the 22 and the 18 sound fantastic!
The bop kit even micc'd up live sounded great - no port hole either!

Oh, I use a P900 Cobra pedal with the standard felt beater.

Last edited:
Back