Sonor Giant Step Kick Pedals

kage

Has anyone had a chance to try these... they look pretty amazing... especially the twin effect and triple. I'm wondering how sensitive the heel kick part is.

Single
13434.jpg

twin effect
13433.jpg

double
13435.jpg

triple
13438.jpg

middle
13437.jpg

Last edited:
When these Sonor pedals were first shown at the NAMM show several years ago, I was very intrigued with the middle pedal and the Off-Set pedal (shown here): http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u162/hrconway/134-3415_IMG.jpg well, my money finally went for an Off-Set.
Never seen anything like the middle pedal
Since you live in Australia, hunt down Sleishman. He makes a center pedal design (found here): http://home.hetnet.nl/~winnie-/gallery/pedals/pedals1.html The Sonor, Off-Set, and Sleishman are the only center pedal designs manufactured. Just like high end Sonor drums, the high end Sonor pedals are great pedals and they deliver. But they may not be everyone's choice. Certainly, we don't all play Axis pedals, etc. So I went with the Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive for my single pedal needs, and an Off-Set pedal for my double pedal fix. As far as the Twin Effect and Triple, they work well enough, but you basically have to re-learn a new right foot technique. Something I wasn't going to put the time into doing.

Last edited:
They are indeed exspensive. I want to try them all though...I really want to know what that heel pedal feels like. Imagine putting a twin effect on each of your kicks on your double kick set!

I read a reveiw on the twin effect somewhere and the guy said the heal pedal gets in the way when you try to use it as a single... but that would probly go along with learning the new technique to play that crazy pedal.

It appears the foot board length is adjustable too. Am I correct?

BTW, I love that pedal gallery at the Sleishman site. I ended up surfing around the web for 3hrs. looking and reading about old drum stuff. pure nostalgia :).

look really good. Built in Vruk. Expensive indeed, probably very nice pedals though and most likley worth the money if you are willing to drop the cash.

I bought 2 Sonor pedals at one time. One was a 400 series, the other a Giant Step. My opinion is that the Giant Step is very overrated. The pedal had a feel that was much too light for my taste, no matter how I adjusted it, even tried pedal shaft weights. The last straw for me was at a gig one night as I was playing a rather heavy tune, (hence my screen name) the clamping device which holds the beater to the axle shaft slipped out of position so when I released the pedal, the beater came back & rested on the footboard. To make the situation worse, the fancy docking plate prevented me from quickly switching to my backup pedal, (the 400, which has a standard clamp on it.)
In short, I'll never own another pedal on which the chain sprocket and the beater clamp are not one integral piece. I sold the Giant step shortly thereafter & kept the 400, which ironically is a much better feeling & simpler pedal, not to mention veeeeery inexpensive, I think I paid $65.00 for it. It feels every bit as good as my DW 5000 pedals.
Sonor over-engineered the G.S, far too many adjustments for it's own good. It's a goofy pedal, I was very disappointed with it.

massmusic is almost always the cheapest place to go.

Actually heres what I found on Massmusic.net...

single- Sale Price: $410.00 (Regular Price:$658.00)

Twin effect- Sale Price: $689.00 (Regular Price:$1,119.95)

Double- Sale Price: $898.00 (Regular Price:$1,459.95)

triple- Sale Price: $965.00 (Regular Price:$1,569.95)

middle- Sale Price: $1,285.00 (Regular Price:$2,088.95)

And it appears they will beat a competitors lowest price.
I think the Middle is the most exspensive pedal I've ever seen. And the single is the most exspensive single pedal I've ever seen.

Seems the biggest complaint on these so far is the price. I could see how that docking plate could be a pain if the pedal breaks and you need to use a spare thats not a GS.

Last edited:
The pedal had a feel that was much too light for my taste, no matter how I adjusted it, even tried pedal shaft weights. The last straw for me was at a gig one night as I was playing a rather heavy tune, (hence my screen name) the clamping device which holds the beater to the axle shaft slipped out of position so when I released the pedal, the beater came back & rested on the footboard.

It's funny you say this because I'm having the same kind of issues with my Iron Cobra flexi glide. I've only used for a few months now and I can't seem to find my sweet spot. There has to be 1000 different settings with the beater weights, beater angle, etc...I tighten the springs all the way and it still feels like there is nothing there....I actually put some hard beaters on the other day and that help alot, seeing thats what I played for the last 5 years...Hmmm.. now that I think about it TAMA makes an accesory for the Iron Cobra called cobra coil.. It's a spring that goes under the footboard so it rebounds faster or gives some resistance or something. Man, maybe thats what I need!

Truthfully nothings ever been the same since I started playing with a double years ago thus eliminating my Ludwig Speed King I learned with and loved. Does anyone know of a double pedal compairable to a Ludwig Speed King?

The first time my IC beater angles change while I'm playing, like what happened to you and your giant step Leadfoot, it's going on ebay.

It's funny you say this because I'm having the same kind of issues with my Iron Cobra flexi glide. I've only used for a few months now and I can't seem to find my sweet spot. There has to be 1000 different settings with the beater weights, beater angle, etc...I tighten the springs all the way and it still feels like there is nothing there....I actually put some hard beaters on the other day and that help alot, seeing thats what I played for the last 5 years...Hmmm.. now that I think about it TAMA makes an accesory for the Iron Cobra called cobra coil.. It's a spring that goes under the footboard so it rebounds faster or gives some resistance or something. Man, maybe thats what I need!

Truthfully nothings ever been the same since I started playing with a double years ago thus eliminating my Ludwig Speed King I learned with and loved. Does anyone know of a double pedal compairable to a Ludwig Speed King?

The first time my IC beater angles change while I'm playing, like what happened to you and your giant step Leadfoot, it's going on ebay.

I can see these pedals being used for jazz or some of the lighter styles of playing, where one doesn't tend to play so heavily but as I stated, I'll never own another pedal which has independant beater/sprocket adjustments, it's simply a weak link in the chain.
I too, grew up using a Speed King, then when I went to double bass I started using Ghost pedals, (the best product Ludwig ever discontinued). Now my standard is the DW 5000 & 5002 doubles. I have two of each, never any issues whatsoever although they don't feel much like a Speed King- nothing does that I've come across.

I can see these pedals being used for jazz or some of the lighter styles of playing, where one doesn't tend to play so heavily but as I stated, I'll never own another pedal which has independant beater/sprocket adjustments, it's simply a weak link in the chain.
I too, grew up using a Speed King, then when I went to double bass I started using Ghost pedals, (the best product Ludwig ever discontinued). Now my standard is the DW 5000 & 5002 doubles. I have two of each, never any issues whatsoever although they don't feel much like a Speed King- nothing does that I've come across.

I don't want get to far of the topic of the giant beat but... I found this good review for the Trick pro 1V last night... he basiclly says you can tune it feel much like a speed king. The trick does use the same concept as the speed king with its direct drive and compression spring setup. Here is the link, it is a good read, check it:http://www.unitedgrooveworkers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=15

The Giant Beat double and the Trick pro 1v double are almost the same price. After reading that review I want the Trick but I guess I'd have to compare the two.

I actually spent a few hours tweakin my iron cobra flexi today. I put on hard beaters and played with all the settings and its feels 10x better. I still want to try that cobra coil though because I have this theory that it might make it feel more like a speed king... i think the pedal would rebound faster and stick to my foot more. Also found out they sell a stiffer spring upgrade for my Iron Cobra.

I would like to hear more about this Giant Step. There is a Twin Effect on Ebay right now. $321.00 Buy it now price. thats like half price lol. Here it is:http://cgi.ebay.com/sonor-giant-step-twin-effect-pedal_W0QQitemZ280170902586QQihZ018QQcategoryZ41452QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One drawback of this pedal is that you must keep your heel raised or the beater will go back into the head. Doesn't lend itself well for flat footed players. This is a heel-toe tool.

This is the major reason why I went with the Vruk - which is opposite in that resting the heel on the Vruk extension pulls the heel away from the head. Think about this last sentence since it has far reaching affects.

I'm not a Vruk endorser. I merely stumbled across the Vruk decades into my playing career and this very design characteristic jumped out at me like a brick wall. I purchased one and help my impatience at bay long enough to understand the benefits.

2 years later and I am in heaven. Nothing in the over 20years I have been playing has made more of a positive impact than this tool.

Back