Syncopated Rolls, Jim Blackley - Help needed

Lukey G

Hello fellow drummers,

So I have recently bought 'Syncopated Rolls' by Jim Blackley and it is really good concept with a lot of useful information to be gained.

Anyway I'm just stuck on a few things, I'm still at my early stages through this book and just have some questions if perhaps someone with more experience could help with?

1) Jim doesn't seem to mention anything about a tempo when playing through these 'Basic Patterns' as he likes to refer them as. Now I know obviously we're working with all the common sub-divisions through out each, but still not quite sure what I should aim for in this regard. What I've tended to do is start off at something like 40bpm then get it perfect at that speed with each Basic Pattern utilising all the sub-divisions accurately before even thinking about moving up to maybe 50/60/70/80.

2) In the first few pages called the "preparatory section" he mentions about the three 'Practice Methods' that should be utilized with each basic pattern throughout the book.

I'm just slightly confused by this because I'm not sure specifically how to apply practice method 3, which is basically making the variations into double strokes, but when going to the 'Basic Pattern 2' it involves accents, so it's not really practical to use this practice method 3 (double strokes) now is it, especially when exploring the drum kit like he suggests?

3) 'Searching For Sounds & Textures' - I am following these steps with the book as well but again I see issues of the practicality especially when it comes to buzzes. How is one meant to do this on tom's and cymbals etc especially when I am doing the faster sub-division variations for the basic patterns it just seems kind of difficult? Am I doing something wrong here?

4) How do people tend to approach using this with the basic patterns? I know Jim recommends doing 1 step at a time (in the searching for sounds and textures) process aka exploring the drum kit 1 step at a time per practice session. But when it comes to for example completing all the steps should you just continue to explore it in different ways or start the process all over again for example going back to step 1 but perhaps using a different single sound source?

5) Am I meant to utilise these 'Basic Patterns' in any kind of jazz intepretation? I've only being following the sub-divisions and adding the feet options (Jim recommends) with different textures on the drum kit (searching for sounds and textures as well) like he wants.

Sorry if some of these questions are confusing, I know people who have the book should be able to work out what I mean, but if not, please do get me to try and re-explain a question if you don't understand what I mean.

Appreciate any help in advance, just need a bit of advice to help smooth me a long with this artful book and the patterns/variations within!

I have this book and worked through it. It's been a long while so I'll need to re-look at it in reference to your questions.

There are a handful of posters here who have been through this material probably in a deeper level than I which would make them more qualified to answer.

I have this book and worked through it. It's been a long while so I'll need to re-look at it in reference to your questions.

There are a handful of posters here who have been through this material probably in a deeper level than I which would make them more qualified to answer.

Thanks! Hopefully someone can give some assistance soon.

Practice method 3 is doubling the notes that are not accented, so no problem with patterns that have accents, you just double the other notes.

About the tempo, Blackley advocates practicing slowly (40 BBM for example).
I would stay around this tempo for a while, myself.

About playing buzzes on the toms and cymbals, it can seem strange at first, but if your toms aren't tuned too low and are resonant, you may be surprised. The key here, as well as for the cymbal, seems to be practicing gently.

I haven't started working on this book, although I have it. If you'd buy Essence of Jazz Drumming, I'm sure you wouldn't regret it, and I would guess that you would understand Blackley's ideas better.

Also, Alan Cox's CD Meet the Bass Player is a very good tool.

Back