Pearl Demon Drive Problem

Sh...McP.B...

Hey there everybody! This is my first time EVER posting on a drum forum, so, be gentle hahah. Here's the deal, I purchased my Pearl Demon Drives last week, they felt great in the beginning, but after a while I noticed that on the slave pedal, the direct link started clicking, and it wasn't from me hearing it, I could really feel it in my left foot when I was playing. I took a video for you all to get the idea, I know this sounds like such a white-boy complaint, but I don't feel content with spending this much on a pedal, then something like this occurring. I primarily own Tama everything, Starclassic Bubinga Elite kit, roadpro hardware, iron cobra pedals/hihat etc. Decided to try out Pearl, and I don't really want this to remain as my only memory of Pearl's products. I'm sure somebody else has experienced this clicking as well, if you have, could you tell me what you did to fix it? Thanks again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD8Tu1V1HTg

Just putting this out there.

Forum Rules said:
If you cannot express yourself without mentioning body parts, excretory functions, or reproductive behavior, we ask that you practice your conversational skills elsewhere before utilizing them here.

Sorry, it's an inside joke. I didn't even know there was a list of rules. It's not even in the literal sense? And it isn't directed towards somebody either, so I don't see why it's a problem.

There is a list of rules prominently displayed in at least two sections of the forum.

Hey kettles, I have the problem narrowed down to the direct link, it may have something to do with the spherical bearing? It's not the spring adjustment nuts, those are cranked down. The clicking is not as prominent on the main pedal, it's actually non-existent there. The slave is really driving me crazy though. And thanks to "mediocre", for censoring my name, I was having a hard time figuring out how to change it, I hope that doesn't sound sarcastic.

I didn't censor it, one of the mods must've done it. Sorry about all that.

There have been one or two cases of the Demon Drive pedals making a clicking noise before. There may be another thread somewhere with similar information. Try loosening a few things and increasing the tolerance of the slave shaft between the connection - just loosen it up a bit and move it out. You may find that helps.

I tried out some Demon Drive pedals a few weeks ago. They were very nice indeed so it's unfortunate that you're having some problems there.

It's fine, I appreciate it actually. It honestly has nothing to do with any other part. The spherical bearing and the part where the direct link just click with each other? I've figured out the problem, but the solution is just hard to find.

Pearl has excellent customer service and I'm sure they will take care of your issue. Have you tried returning the pedal from where you purchased?

The buttons on the footboard rattle a little bit.

Hardly noticeable with my pedal when I'm actually playing but if that's what's making the noise on yours I'm pretty sure you can remove/replace them with different buttons.

Has anyone changed out the "head screw" that connects the link to the footboard. This is the one that has all the problems with bumping the beater cam and scratching. Was there a recall or anything?

I just got a used double DD for $300, and its got some signs of this already. I don't want it to get any worse.

Seems dumb of pearl, I can't believe they didnt just machine the screw hole on the other side of the link, that would have fixed everything.

Even dumber not to test it out before shipping them. It's not like it's a small number that were affected either.

I read on the Pearl forum that if you took it back to the store they would replace the base plate and the screw with a shorter one. I think the baseplate on my/your one is a little thin and flexes too easily, which is the root of the problem.

I'm not sure how we'll get on with our second hand pedals, whether Pearl will help us out or not. I haven't contacted them yet.

Even dumber not to test it out before shipping them. It's not like it's a small number that were affected either.

I read on the Pearl forum that if you took it back to the store they would replace the base plate and the screw with a shorter one. I think the baseplate on my/your one is a little thin and flexes too easily, which is the root of the problem.

I'm not sure how we'll get on with our second hand pedals, whether Pearl will help us out or not. I haven't contacted them yet.

Went to a local guitar center today. They have a new pair with the shortened screws. The floorboard is the same thickness (4mm) as mine. They said Pearl is closed for the holidays, so I'll have to wait until the new year.

So an update on the situation. I went to my local Guitar Center. I special ordered these parts from Pearl on Jan 16th. They were about $4.00 each. GC has some sort of flat special order fee they charged me in addition of $30. I just wanted this done...so I paid it.

The part number for the screws is ME731UNN. Description is 3.5MM Direct Link Adj Key Bolt. After getting them...one was slightly too large for the Ninja bearing...so I took a tiny strip of 120 grit sand paper, and after a couple minutes of light sanding it was small enough. Screws replaced, no issues now with the double pedals rubbing the cam anymore.

Overall, happy results for me.

So an update on the situation. I went to my local Guitar Center. I special ordered these parts from Pearl on Jan 16th. They were about $4.00 each. GC has some sort of flat special order fee they charged me in addition of $30. I just wanted this done...so I paid it.

The part number for the screws is ME731UNN. Description is 3.5MM Direct Link Adj Key Bolt. After getting them...one was slightly too large for the Ninja bearing...so I took a tiny strip of 120 grit sand paper, and after a couple minutes of light sanding it was small enough. Screws replaced, no issues now with the double pedals rubbing the cam anymore.

Overall, happy results for me.

$30 + for screws??

Sounds like you got shafted.

Back