Thinking of buying Iron Cobras.

bouchnick

Hi,
I've just read several topics on Double Pedals and Iron Cobras really sort out from the others. Are they that good? I mostly play rock (Styx, Led Zeppelin, The Who) and some light metal like Mettalica.

I've only been looking for double pedals for like 10 minutes (I'm tired of my 20 years old used crappy Yamaha double pedal my teacher gave me) and all I hear is Iron Cobras or DW.

Are there more than one kind of Iron Cobras?

I need help because all they have at my music store is like 3 pedals that I don't really like
Iron Cobras seems like a good choice since they are cheap and have a good durability.

Anyway, thanks for any help/tips/recommendations and sorry for my english!

-Tom

Well, the best thing you can do is play them. As you said, your store only carries a few. Before dropping a large amount of money on an incredibly important investment like a pedal, it might be worth your time to drive an hour away if there are any other stores.

If not, all you can really go by is reviews and advice, which of course is why you're here. I'll start out by saying that ICs, DWs, and eliminators are all very similar. However, i've noticed that ICs have a lot more negative reviews than anything by Pearl or DW.

Now, DWs are great, obviously, and you have a few options to choose from here. Same with pearl, although they now offer the Demon Drive, if you can afford that.

Mostly, though, try not to leave out any direct drive pedals. pedals by the aforementioned companies (with the exception of the demon drive) are all driven by chains, belts, straps, etc.

So dont forget to look at Axis, trick, yamaha flying dragons, et al.

The reason I say this is because I used to own a DW5000 and loved it, but played an axis.

I now own an axis pedal, and sold the DW. I do not play double (the DW was actually a 5002 and i moved down to a single axis) but I always say if I ever want to play double again it will be an axis, or direct drive over time with new companies and products etc.

Oh, I'm a little confused can you tell me what are those are:

Demondrive
direct drive pedals
Axis
trick
yamaha flying dragons
et al

Thx for your help! :D

When you are an informed buyer or seller, you'll make the best decisions for the most important purchases.---Real Estate jargon that applies.

So, if you're going to play drums for more than 10 min of your life, your best approach is to learn all you can about the gear. If you don't even know what you like for lack of experience, then you need to start somewhere and iron Cobra is a good place to start.

Buy used. Quality bass drum pedals these days don't wear-out that quickly and IC's less than DW's. You can pick-up a used IC for a reasonable price.

Clean it, take care of it. You'll get to know all it can do and how it feels. In 6 months- year you can easily sell it for close to what you paid for it, maybe even more.

Until you know exactly what you want in a pedal, just approach the used market as a leasing game. get your feet on as many pedals as you can. You're basically 'renting' pedals to find one that works for you.

So in a 6 months to a year you loose $20 on the sale. Look at it like you 'rented' the pedal for a year for $20, something you can't do in reality and a pretty good deal actually.

Jump in, the waters great. You have to find your own pedal, no one can do it for you.

Oh, I'm a little confused can you tell me what are those are:

Demondrive
direct drive pedals
Axis
trick
yamaha flying dragons
et al

Thx for your help! :D
(Pearl) Demondrive, Axis, Trick and Yamaha Flying Dragons are all direct drive double kick pedals. Another pedal worth mentioning is Pearl Eliminator, though it's not a direct drive pedal. Spend some more tens of minutes looking those up. There's a lot of info on this very forum, and Google is your friend too.

Btw, this is a direct drive of a kick pedal:
direct_drive.jpg

There are probably more posts about bass drum pedals than any other subject. Thta is why you will only get a few comments.

Find the search button above and start reading.

I have an IC and I love it. I tried them all but the IC was the right price/value/quality/feel for me. But like all things, it's a personal decision.

Davo

Bass drum pedals are a very personal side of playing the drums, even more personal are the way you set the pedal up to achieve it's utmost playability. I have Iron Cobra Power Glide and Rolling Glide pedals, along with Pearl Eliminators, Yamaha Flying Dragons and Trick Pro 1 V's. Each pedal has a slightly different feel and all are quite durable and personalizable in terms of the adjustments that can be made. The best way and only way in my opinion, is to try them out in person. I could recommend a pedal I like and you might just hate it, not because of the pedal itself, but for the way you have it set up.

Just play everyone you can get your foot on.

Dennis

Back