MY BEFORE & AFTER PICTURES! From Fading Cream to Sparkly Green...

Cakco Drums

Hey guys. I started a thread a while back but I REALLY wanted to change the title to something ridiculous, so sorry for the slight repeat.

The deed is done! My first re-wrap...
To recap, I bought a used "Impact Percussion" set from a guy on Kijiji a little while ago, and sold the included cymbals and hardware for $250, leaving me with this kit to sell for (more) profit. I figured, if this "Sparkle-Brite" is actually any good as drum wrap, and it will cost me $80 for the kit, I'll give it a shot to try to improve the attractiveness and value of the set.

THE VERDICT... it worked PRETTY effing good, with a couple minor bugs that I'm working on perfecting for next time. Yes, oh yes, I WILL be doing it again.

I used emerald green wrap, and in my opinion, It definitely looks at least $90 nicer.
Decide for yourself, comment, and ask questions.

Attachments

• impact 001.jpg
    impact 001.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 1,590
  • impact 005.jpg
    impact 005.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,589
  • impact 006.jpg
    impact 006.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,584
  • impact 007.jpg
    impact 007.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,577
  • impact 008.jpg
    impact 008.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 1,584
  • impact 013.jpg
    impact 013.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 1,578
  • impact 022.jpg
    impact 022.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 1,573
  • impact 024.jpg
    impact 024.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 1,605
  • impact 027.jpg
    impact 027.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 1,551
  • impact 033.jpg
    impact 033.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 1,538
Looks good!

Got a couple questions though. I am thinking about the same project for my old pearl kit...

1. Where did the wrap come from (store, ebay sellers name, ect)
  2. did it come with all the double sided tape and new vent hole metal?
  3. would you buy from the same supplier again?
  4. does that green sparkle look as good or better in person?

Thanks,
Joe

hey, thanks!

1. i got it from a store online called "dick blick", google it, and it cost me $11.something/sheet, and with shipping, handling, and duty, came to about $90 for the whole set. theres also a guy on ebay selling it for slightly more, but has more colour and type options.

2. yup, its sticky on the back, and goes right over the old wrap (can't go on wood). you just gotta take the vent out and put it back in.

3. I am buying it again, I have some gold on the way to do a couple black kits :)

4. looks way better in person, no lies.

cheers,
d

def should have skipped on the badges, otherwise looks very clean, must be a fun little kit if you wanted to put all that work into it

***SNIP***
yup, its sticky on the back, and goes right over the old wrap (can't go on wood). you just gotta take the vent out and put it back in.
***END SNIP***

How come it can't go right onto the wood? The kit I want to wrap is a green stained kit, and it had never had a wrap on it. Its just a little to beat up to re stain, unless I were to put way more time into the poplar shells than they are worth...

def should have skipped on the badges, otherwise looks very clean, must be a fun little kit if you wanted to put all that work into it

well it would have been too hard to put it overtop with a cutout for the badges, and getting it off and back without wrinkles was physically impossible.
it definitely isn't bad sounding, and I like doing it so it doesn't seem like as much work as it is. I'm getting a system down though, so it takes about a day a set.
it's nice making shitty old drums nice again, and for a profit, yesss.

***SNIP***

***END SNIP***

How come it can't go right onto the wood? The kit I want to wrap is a green stained kit, and it had never had a wrap on it. Its just a little to beat up to re stain, unless I were to put way more time into the poplar shells than they are worth...

well it's just not an adhesive meant for wood, but I havn't actually tried it so I couldn't say 100%. try it! haha, so I don't have to do the test.
seriously though, good investment, and pretty cheap,

Very nice job, should have ditched the badges =)

I think your floor tom is upside down hehe

When you say you got the kit, cymbals and hardware for $250 do you mean the Sabian and Zildjian cymbals that are in the pics? if so great deal. Looks awesome now btw ;)

Very nice job, should have ditched the badges =)

I think your floor tom is upside down hehe

hahaha, yep the floor is upside down. I'm prone to stupid mistakes when building things, and i had just put the badge on when I realized. doesn't make a noticeable difference, other than it looks kinda neat I think.
I'm going to be re-selling it and thats why I needed the badges no matter what. they are kinda cheesy, and a little crinked, but for someone looking at the set I think having them on there would increase the chance that they buy it. this is just based on some previous experience though.

Wow. Such a transformation! That cream looked disgusting.

when you compare, it truly did didn't it?

When you say you got the kit, cymbals and hardware for $250 do you mean the Sabian and Zildjian cymbals that are in the pics? if so great deal. Looks awesome now btw ;)

I WISH! no, I got two stands, a dece stool, hi hat/bass pedals, two Izmir turk cymbals, nice new stick holder, cowbell, hardware and cymbal bags, with home-made individual cymbal sleevs.

not a bad deal. oh, and it was delivered :)

I'm currently (as in this moment) doing a re-wrap on a 80's Pearl DX pro kit, and it's looking like the sex. it was originally white, which is what I wanted, but it just didn't look clean enough, and kinda bored me, so I decided for a sparkle blue.
I'll have it done by tomorrow because I'm impatient as can be. It's going to be my usual gigging kit (so I can save my beautiful slingerland from pain) and I'm very excited.
Pictures tomorrow!

Back