cymbal stand repair (clamp)

alex19

played a gig last night. used my kit, but the other drummer used his own breakables. when I came to mount my cymbals and adjust the stand, the bottom wingnut just wasn't holding the stand up. what I mean is the stand is made up of 3 bits of tube. the clamp at the top of the thickest tube which holds the rest at the right height has broke. can these be replaced?

im assuming the drummer clamped it too tight and this is why its happened. its a pearl 900 series boom stand. its the plasic insert that looks cracked.

if they can be replaced then where would I get one from. pearl themselves?

ive never had any pearl stuff break on me before

Last edited:
Could it be that the wingnut is just stripped? That happens a lot. And they're cheap to replace.

I have some Pearl 900 stands as well. Not seeing what it is that is broken in yours I have to just improvise a few solutions.

I am also not sure if Pearl sells all the parts on their equipment, but if they do you may want to contact them for the replacement parts.

You could also try to take out the plastic part and try and glue it together for repair.

You could re-manufacture the plastic part that is broken. Just to be certain there is a slot there in the plastic and I am assuming you already know that and are not confusing the slot with the plastic being cracked. I have not taken the plastic out my own base tube, but it appears to be just a plastic tube with a flange and a slot that fits into the base. This can be replaced by another material if you need to like a brass.

If you go to a machine shop take the part there and see if they can repair it or replace it. The part does not necessarily need to be plastic, it could be made of a brass that can be easier to machine especially if the part is small, and from my experience, even if the machinist is very skilled, they sometimes have a problem with plastic. The machine shop option can be expensive though, it all depends on the labor costs in your area and whether the machinist takes pity on you.

Another option is to purchase a used 900 stand on ebay or craigslist and find one that can be salvaged for parts.

played a gig last night. used my kit, but the other drummer used his own breakables. when I came to mount my cymbals and adjust the stand, the bottom wingnut just wasn't holding the stand up. what I mean is the stand is made up of 3 bits of tube. the clamp at the top of the thickest tube which holds the rest at the right height has broke. can these be replaced?

im assuming the drummer clamped it too tight and this is why its happened. its a pearl 900 series boom stand. its the plasic insert that looks cracked.

if they can be replaced then where would I get one from. pearl themselves?

ive never had any pearl stuff break on me before

Check the threads on the wing screw and on/in the stand joint.

Its unlikely the plastic insert is damaged, there's a crack/split in it to allow it to compress... and actually if it was broken, fixing just that would be the easiest way out.

I can almost guarantee you the threads are stripped in the stand. The stands joint is pot metal, the wing screw is steel, steel will always win over pot metal in a battle of threads.

Inexperienced drummers over tighten their hardware, its really, really common. When you have any kind of stand w/o steel inserts being used where threads are involved, sooner or later the threads are going to pull out, get destroyed... over tightening is the most common.

HELI COIL is a possible fix, you'll have to remove the joint to drill out the hole and insert HELICOIL threads. To remove the joint, use an allen wrench sized to the set screw highlighted in pic below with the arrow, then the joint will slip off with a little persuasion.

HELICOIL kits are pricy, but if you're in this drumming game and use your hardware a lot, or let others use it, it'll pay for itself. Once coiled, thread damage from over tightening will be greatly reduced as HELI threads are steel. Think of it as an upgrade.

Another option is order a joint from PEARL, but that won't protect your other threads in the future. Other than that the stand is damaged, you're looking at hose clamps that'll stop the vertical slippage, but not spinning of the tube.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    316.5 KB · Views: 1,234
cheers for the help guys. I managed to take the plastic "bush" thing out and it was cracked. ive glued it together and ill see how I go. since then ive done a bit of research and part numbers are PL08 for the bottom tube or PL09 for the top tube. if it breaks again ill just replace.

I never do the wing nuts up tight, just enough to stop them moving so I knew it wasn't the wing nut that had stripped the threads.

was hard for me to find as I didn't know what they were called.
this is it here, the black thing.
pearl-repuesto-bateria-pedestal-asiento-pl-08-nylon-bushing-653-MEC4179598544_042013-F.jpg

@Zickos - its very common in the UK to let support acts use your shells. im quite generous/lazy and I let people use my hardware too unless they are being a bit rough with it. ive never had anything fail on me before in the 10 years ive been gigging, so I cant complain.

Back