DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I'm just going to leave this here ... (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136700)

WhoIsTony? 04-25-2017 03:39 AM

I'm just going to leave this here ...

... and watch the $#!t storm from a distance

enjoy !!!

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/07/...-to-have-him/#

GruntersDad 04-25-2017 03:43 AM

Re: I'm just going to leave this here ...

I read that earlier. There will be no storm.

alparrott 04-25-2017 03:58 AM

People will be ragging on Ringo and his talent or supposed lack thereof until there's no longer an internet upon which to leave posts. But I think that the article brings up a very valid point: The Beatles as we know them were those four blokes. How they worked and played together, at the midst of the birth of the rock and roll media mania machine, made the group what it was and is.

We could, in much the same way, bag on Kurt Cobain's guitar skills, or Bob Dylan's voice. But their legacy is much more than those qualities.

It's telling to say that as successful as each of them has been since leaving the group, none of them has been as big or as successful as when they were together.

toddbishop 04-25-2017 03:58 AM

May be overstating it a tad to call him a genius, but who cares. I don't need for someone to be a genius to like him and think he's great.

bermuda 04-25-2017 04:05 AM

I've never met a pro who didn't get Ringo.

'nuff said.

Hollywood Jim 04-25-2017 04:19 AM

One of the bands I'm in is a Beatles tribute band. All we play is Beatle music.
Most of the songs sound easy to play, until you try to play them.

evilg99 04-25-2017 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bermuda (Post 1498270)
I've never met a pro who didn't get Ringo.

'nuff said.

ABSOLUTELY , great point.

paradiddle pete 04-25-2017 05:20 AM

His hi hat playing in Roll Over "Beat"hoven is i'm sure where Bonham got the intro to Rock ' Roll from.

WhoIsTony? 04-25-2017 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paradiddle pete (Post 1498282)
His hi hat playing in Roll Over "Beat"hoven is i'm sure where Bonham got the intro to Rock ' Roll from.

Think again
https://youtu.be/PcJrExewkYA

paradiddle pete 04-25-2017 06:21 AM

Talk'n about the slosh really but yeah there really isn't anything new is there?

SquadLeader 04-25-2017 08:36 AM

Love the guy. By far the most appealing member of the Beatles for me. Always saw him as the grounded guy when the maelstrom was happening around him.

And, ironically, despite all the great songs written, Octopuss's Garden is my favourite one of the lot. It's a wonderful song. And whenever I hear it, it brings a massive lump to my throat because I used to sing it in the first band I was in back when I was 14. Sang it to my kids in the car when they were little. Sing it to my grand daughter. Great memories. It's timeless.

mikel 04-25-2017 09:44 AM

No storm. The guy was the drummer in the most famous and influential pop/rock band in history. He needs no introduction or ego massage because his recordings stand as a measure of his playing.

Woolwich 04-25-2017 10:25 AM

An interesting word in that article, "composed".
Something that seems to be missed or even glossed over is the contribution that all band members make to the composition of a song. If someone is bringing a fully formed song (vocals, vocal melody, chords, solo, bass line, keyboards, rhythm, tempo, drum fills etc) to the table then they can claim that song as 100% their own. But the reality is that what is brought to a band is often a chord structure and/or lyrics and vocal melody. The song can take shape and even change entirely due to what the other members then play never mind ideas they might bring for intros, outros and structure. It's my guess that while Lennon and McCartney brought the bulk of the songs to the table, the songs became what they are because of the interactions of all 4 Beatles and George Martin.

mikel 04-25-2017 11:56 AM

It seems like a cyclical thing. Every year some article comes out about Ringo, or Nick Mason, or Charlie Watts, or any other drummer who they consider not to have been a chop merchant, and its "Was this guy actually any good?".

The answer is, If they were not any good, or hadnt been just right for the band they were in, they would not have lasted and been replaced PDQ. Next.

Push pull stroke 04-25-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquadLeader (Post 1498293)

And, ironically, despite all the great songs written, Octopuss's Garden is my favourite one of the lot. It's a wonderful song. And whenever I hear it, it brings a massive lump to my throat because I used to sing it in the first band I was in back when I was 14. Sang it to my kids in the car when they were little. Sing it to my grand daughter.

Aww. That's awesome. I hope Ringo knows how deeply he has touched fans like you.

Ghostnote 04-25-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paradiddle pete (Post 1498282)

No, Bonham lifted that from the intro to You Keep 'A Knockin' by Little Richard.

Ringo's the man. He has a feel all his own that is very hard to accurately duplicate.

GruntersDad 04-25-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikel (Post 1498304)
It seems like a cyclical thing. Every year some article comes out about Ringo, or Nick Mason, or Charlie Watts, or any other drummer who they consider not to have been a chop merchant, and its "Was this guy actually any good?".

The answer is, If they were not any good, or hadnt been just right for the band they were in, they would not have lasted and been replaced PDQ. Next.

Exactly. If they didn't study with Joe Morello or use the Moeller technique then they have no skills. Their producer was a stickler for detail and Ringo would not have been around long if he couldn't play the drums.

River19 04-25-2017 01:54 PM

After many years playing covers of Beatles tunes in various incarnations of wedding bands etc. I now really appreciate Ringo for the parts he came up with and played. 20-25 years ago when I was in my teens and early 20s I was caught up in the Weckl, Portnoy, etc. technique game and asked to define what a good drummer was I probably would have thrown out one of those names, and I wouldn't be wrong per se, just depends on perspective.

But Ringo as a musician is really quite impressive. He played for their songs, created very different feels from one song to the next and when covering a Beatles tune, you really do have to play close to what he played or people kinda get offended unless it is an entirely different interpretation of the song (ie. Come Together etc.)

He wasn't as large an influence on me as a drummer as say Bonham was but.....the guy was a monster as far as leaving his stamp on Rock n roll.

GetAgrippa 04-25-2017 02:04 PM

I always liked Ringo because he has a big nose-just like me.

TheElectricCompany 04-25-2017 04:30 PM

If someone doesn't "get" Ringo and they're a musician, let alone a drummer, I don't trust or respect them. His musicality supersedes anyone's poor taste or ignorance.

I consider myself lucky that I was raised by parents who love the Beatles, and in particular a drumming father who was one of the millions of kids inspired to play music because they saw the Beatles on Sullivan. I loved Ringo from the start as a kid, and as I got older I learned why that was. I respect him, I admire him and I'm still in awe of him.

PorkPieGuy 04-25-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikel (Post 1498299)
He needs no introduction or ego massage because his recordings stand as a measure of his playing.

You can thank McCartney for a lot of those recorded drum tracks.

Even still, I used to not "get" Ringo, but now I do. 100%

Icetech 04-25-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? (Post 1498284)

Ok.. that just blew my mind....

And Ringo has always been my favorite.. I have a friend that used to dump on him but has come around. Some people just take longer. Whats funny is.. i'm a 47 year old man and if i actually met ringo i would probably scream like a 13 year old girl and pass out.. Not proud of that.. just sayin..

P.S. i was born in 70 and as a kid i had all of the vinyls and used to beat on pan lids to them (my mom should have killed me. no idea how she didn't)... Of course until my older sister stole every single one and gave them to a boyfriend.. "you said i could have them" yeah.. never forgive or forget some things...

TheElectricCompany 04-25-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy (Post 1498357)
You can thank McCartney for a lot of those recorded drum tracks.

Even still, I used to not "get" Ringo, but now I do. 100%

Well, fewer than five, I think.

Paul played on Back In the USSR, Dear Prudence, and the Ballad of John and Yoko . I can't think of any others off the top of my head but I think there's one or two more.

GetAgrippa 04-25-2017 06:27 PM

No Paul McCartney didn't record any drums-the fellow that replaced him after his death is the drummer dude hee,hee,hee.

Red Menace 04-25-2017 06:45 PM

The horse is dead already guy, please stop hitting it.

brady 04-25-2017 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany (Post 1498378)
Well, fewer than five, I think.

Paul played on Back In the USSR, Dear Prudence, and the Ballad of John and Yoko . I can't think of any others off the top of my head but I think there's one or two more.

Birthday is the other song you are thinking of...

T_Weaves 04-25-2017 07:19 PM

He's an Icon. I saw them on Ed Sullivan Show when I was 10. Not to mention, he seems like a proper bloke.

Mongrel 04-25-2017 07:23 PM

Ringo fan since 1963....(birth)...

I share a similar sentiment as others here-It's hard to respect people who don't respect guys and gals who are successful and have paid their dues many times over. Not talking about "liking" all of them, but appreciating them for their contributions to the art. If your eyes aren't open enough to "see" Ringo's place in history, if you are not intellectually honest enough to admit it to yourself and others... Then I find it hard to take anything you may say about it seriously.

Because the fact is that, whether you like their specific drumming or not, the guys like Ringo and Charlie Watts have contributed hugely not just to "Rock and Roll" but to modern music composition and contemporary culture for over 50 years. That alone should get them your respect.

If you can't find it in yourself to give them that much...well...that's pretty lame.

8Mile 04-25-2017 07:43 PM

I was thinking the other day that the drummers who "get" Ringo probably get a lot of work on average.

TheElectricCompany 04-25-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brady (Post 1498387)
Birthday is the other song you are thinking of...

Hmm... I wanna say no way. That's got Ringo all over it. I'll look it up.

Mongrel 04-25-2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany (Post 1498419)

Yea, I already did that...No mention anywhere that it wasn't Ringo.

Only three I am aware of-USSR, Prudence, Ballad of John and Yoko..

May be examples where they other guys played "a drum" on other tracks, but those are the only three "full" tracks I've ever heard of.

AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken 04-26-2017 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongrel (Post 1498423)
Yea, I already did that...No mention anywhere that it wasn't Ringo.

Only three I am aware of-USSR, Prudence, Ballad of John and Yoko..

May be examples where they other guys played "a drum" on other tracks, but those are the only three "full" tracks I've ever heard of.

And on USSR, Paul rushes the opening. It's actually difficult to play along to. I haven't played along to Prudence, I wonder if his timing is better there.

I find it interesting that people bag on Ringo for "just being a drummer", when all Paul did was sing and play bass (now _that's_ how you troll!)

And I mean come on, just because Ringo played on 99.9% of the Beatles tracks and all their live performances (except when he had appendicitis) that doesn't mean he was the best or most consistent drummer in the Beatles! :eyeroll:

GruntersDad 04-26-2017 01:46 AM

Well you know when you put out hundreds of songs, and 21 of them become Number 1's, and you don't play on 3, 6, 9 whatever of those hundreds of songs you must not be good at all. Yes that was sarcasm for the sarcasm deficient lot.

John Lennon – vocals, guitar, keyboards, harmonica (1960–1969)
Paul McCartney – vocals, bass guitar, guitar, keyboards, drums (1960–1970)
George Harrison – guitar, vocals, sitar (1960–1970)
Ringo Starr – drums, percussion, vocals (1962–1970)

I also heard that John was a lousy harmonica player but they somehow suffered through their miserable careers. More sarcasm.....

brady 04-26-2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany (Post 1498419)

Huh... I'll have to look that up too. It seems like I read that somewhere a long time ago.

ratta_tat 04-28-2017 02:46 PM

Isn't it funny how Paul himself said he did not go back into the studio to replace any of Ringo's parts. And so many drummers of that time are gone and forgotten, however, Ringo is still going strong and many, many musicians are frankly honored to be in his all star band. And then you have people like Bernard Purdie claiming to have been the guy to replace him on several songs, another line of BS. All these years, about time to tell it like it is and was, Ringo is a drummers drummer and a legend.

Midnite Zephyr 04-28-2017 03:56 PM

I'm done talking about Ringo. That stuff is like 50 years old now. In other words, a lifetime ago. Sure he was great and all, but so was Carlton Barrett in his own right.

Icetech 04-28-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr (Post 1498957)
I'm done talking about Ringo. That stuff is like 50 years old now. In other words, a lifetime ago. Sure he was great and all, but so was Carlton Barrett in his own right.

With that way of thinking.. why would anyone listen to Mozart.. that was hundreds of years ago and it's been played to death.... Also if you are done talking about him why even post in this thread? could have just hit the back arrow...

Spreggy 04-28-2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim (Post 1498272)
One of the bands I'm in is a Beatles tribute band. All we play is Beatle music.
Most of the songs sound easy to play, until you try to play them.

Exactly. Critics need to first justify their criticisms by showing they can lay it down.

People make the same mistake with jazz, thinking hey playing quietly is easy. Then you get into it and realize it's a pretty big task to get your arms around it.

larryace 04-28-2017 06:27 PM

It pisses me off that most people who write about him always seem to put in the stupid disqualifiers, like it was the law or something.

Most writers say something to the effect that, "while not known for his dazzling technique" or "lack of chops"...which to me is quite the ignorant statement. No one says that about Hal Blaine, whose drum parts are based on the Ringo play book IMO.

I'd like all those comments to stop. The people who disqualify him are just perpetuating the falsehood. I mean in an article that is supposedly celebrating him, what are the purpose of these comments? They are just parading their own ignorance around. Why does no one say George Harrison was just an average guitar player? WHO CARES? It's not how good you are on your instrument. That really doesn't matter, contrary to what most of the world thinks. It's what you say with the instrument. People are so shallow. Show then unquestioned, unparalleled success and they say yea well, still he was not a great drummer. Why don't they go kick a puppy, it's about on the same level.

Icetech 04-28-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spreggy (Post 1498982)
Exactly. Critics need to first justify their criticisms by showing they can lay it down.

People make the same mistake with jazz, thinking hey playing quietly is easy. Then you get into it and realize it's a pretty big task to get your arms around it.

What i find funny is when someone puts down a drummer and says "I can play that easily" Yeah.. but copying what has been done isn't creating.. create something that millions of people worship for a lifetime then talk :) Of course.. i'm guilty of it myself.. but just saying..