Ambassador or Controlled Sound

LedFoot65

Head Questions with no end...
Hi gang I have a Tama SCP all birch 14in snare.I currently have a Evans revearse dot on it(don't like it) and I want to change it.Should I go with an Ambassador or a Controlled Sound? I like a fat sound with enough sustain.Is it true that the CS has more ring because of the dot then an Ambassador?Maybe you guys can answer my questions and point me in the wright direction.Thanks Happy New Year Drummerworld Family

The Remo CS will be very similar to the Evans PC you have now. If you dont like the PC then I'd go for the ambassador.

If you like Evans heads, but just don't like that underside dot head, try the Power Center Top dot head.
It controls the ring, but not quite as much, and you get more tone (at least I did from it).
This is the regular Power Center head, not one of the Edge Control heads.

A Remo Coated CS will sound different than the Evans--by quite a bit IMO/E.

I like them, and they sound better to me after they've been on the drum for a while. They have always lasted a long time for me too.
I have a couple snares the Remo Coated CS (underside Black Dot) sounds really great on.
On the other snares I like a Coated TOP dot, or a regular Coated Emperor.

Coated Ambassadors just sound too "even" for me for some reason. I like a little ring and dirt in my snare sound, and I don't hear it with an Ambassador.
Sounds great when other people play it, but not for me.

Hi, I'm very interested in this topic too.

I also own a birch snare drum, currently with an ambassador head. I really dig the sound (basically you can't go wrong with ambassadors on snares), but I was thinking about changing it for a CS, maybe a clear one, for a change.

Look, here's a cool video comparing Ambassador vs CS vs PS3 on a snare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j20vKUY3rR8

Cheers

What kind of sound are you going for? Definitely consider checking out the Evans G1 and G Plus. Let me know if you have any questions and I can help you out.

Check out some Tony Williams recordings from the late 70s to his death. He was using black dots on everything and you can hear that yes, it does sound a little different. He may have used them on his snare too (quite possibly), but he was a big proponent of the black dot sound. To me they sound a little flat because of the dot in the middle thickens the head a bit right in the middle - and this is antithema to how we use the edge rings to muffle down a ringy drum on a head that's a uniform thickness.

But it sure looks cool.

Back