Trying to narrow down pedal choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into getting my first double bass pedal here soon. After doing some looking around online, and keeping in mind my current pedal, a Gibraltar Avenger 2 single pedal, I've narrowed it down to a few choices. And don't tell me to get a DW 9000, or and Iron Cobra, etc cause I'm not dropping $400-$500+ n a pedal.
After looking at prices I was thinking a Gibraltar Avenger 2 double pedal, since that is what already and and it's what I'm used to.
I was also looking at the intruder direct drive. I would go for these if it was worth it. Is it would the extra cost to get direct drive over double chain?
I have also considered a DW 3000, but I doubt I would get that, unless I'm am convinced other wise.
To sum it up: about $200 is what I'll spend, maybe $300 if it is worth it for the direct drive

Which of these would be the best? Any other recommendations?

Thanks

BTW I'm not on an acoustic set, I play on a Roland TD4KX, which has a KD8 (the rubber kick pad, not the cloth KD9)

Direct Drive isnt better, its just a little different. I own dd and chain versions of the same pedal. The dd feels lighter and has a little more rebound. I like the chain version a little more, I'm more used to it I guess.

Why not buy used? Iron Cobras, DW 5000, Eliminators, etc all can be had for under $200 in excellent condition.

If you want new, the Intruder is a solid pedal. The Eliminator is a little more, but has tons of adjustments. The double is about $290.

Mapex has a couple of new pedals out that are very affordable. The p710 double pedal is about $170. The Raptor is direct drive and is about $230 for the double. Very good value.

Hope this helped

Why not buy used? Iron Cobras, DW 5000, Eliminators, etc all can be had for under $200 in excellent condition.

Power Shifter Eliminators

fully adjustable with 3 different replacement cams that will help you find that
sweet spot you're used to.

I managed to find a nice DW5002 double pedal used on the 'bay for $165. There are similar deals out there if you look hard enough - mine's a lefty which is rarer still!

But if you like new, Tama makes the Iron Cobra Jr as a single and a double, and I think the double is only $180 - and Iron Cobra Jr pedals ROCK! Those are my single pedal of choice, beating out the DW5000's I've been playing for years. Simple design, rock solid construction. Beats the pants off of the DW3000, and gives the 5000's a run for their money. DW has that quirky hinge between the heel and the pedal board which is just trouble waiting to happen. All the other manufacturers don't do what DW does, which is why you never see them selling new hinges on the parts wall.

You need to actually get your feet on every pedal you can ... for only you can decide what feels right ... and what doesn't. Buying a kick pedal on recommendations, you ask 50 drummers what pedal they like ... you'll probably get 50 different answers. Or at least 40.​
Top dollar pedals are just that ... the crem-de-la-crem. If you bought 1, and had nothing to compare it to, you'd probably love it. Me, I've played 30 or 40 different pedals ... so I know what I like. I also know that I can pretty much drive anyone's pedal, and though it might feel a little different from mine, the bottom line is, my foot can make bass drum go boom. Doesn't matter if I'm playing a DW5000, 0r a 9000, or an Iron Cobra, or an Iron Cobra Jr. , or a Pearl Eliminator, or a Axis, etc. etc.​
But what I throw my hard earned cash down on ... I know that's what I want, cause I've played damn near all of them.​
My double-pedal of choice? Why, the Sleishman, of course ....​

Attachments

• sleishman1.1.jpg
    sleishman1.1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,237
Im going to have to agree with several past posters on the fact that:
1) you need to try out many different pedals before making a purchase and
2) used is a great way to go, especially with double pedals. From my experience a lot of people buy them and only used them for a couple of months because they either become frustrated that they dont get immediate results or money reasons.

Everyone has very different preferences and asking what the best is will often lead you to buy things you dont like. Go to Guitar Center (or a comparable dealer) and demo every and any pedal they have. Once you find one you like start searching ebay and craigslist for a good priced and good conditioned pedal.

Now to tell you my "factual/unbiased" opinion I switched from Iron Cobras to DW 5000's because I like the feel of a heavy beater and a lighter footboard. I do not like the feel of direct drive pedals because I dont feel I have control over the pedal, but like I said it depends on preference...and possibly your goal and type of music you want to play with the double pedal.

This weekend I went to the music store I normally go to (there is only one other in my area that a I know of) and they don't really keep pedals in stock, except for demo's on kits. Luckily they had a TD4KX2 set up with a DW3000 single pedal, so I tested it. I think it moved smoother than my Gibraltar, but it it didn't have near enough rebound.

So it looks like Gibraltar Avenger 2's for me.

300. get Pearl eliminators. The problem with Dw or Tama or any of the other brands is that for 300 you get their CRAP line not their best. Single chain, not the best cam/bearings beater etc. Pearl you get their top of the line for that price.

And dont buy used pedals. Get new, they come with a 2 or 3 year warranty!

For 388.00 American you can get a Mapex Falcon double pedal at any music store in the US. It is a top of the line professional pedal at an amazing price. I just bought two singles and they feel amazing. They are fully adjustable, come with optional cams, strap drives, weights for beater, heavy duty nylon bag, and you can get the direct drive option for about 35 dollors to convert them to direct drive. These things are all black powder coated and look as good as they feel. Give them a look.

if your really looking to save money i would say get the pearl p902 (129.99 new) this pedal is pretty tough, and will do just about everything you want. It features some basic adjustment options and is a really good starter double bass pedal. I play speed cobras (high end tama, long boards, really "unique" in their feel) and i have no problem going to these. Excellent for the price.

at the higher end of your spectrum (300ish) i would recommend buying used like everyone else is saying. Used is, if you look hard enough, half priced brand new items. I have a friend who got a set of iron cobras (379.99 new, unless theyve changed) that had been played on an electric kit like 5 times for 75 dollars. Thats 300 dollars of savings. Buying used gear is to your advantage, so dont knock that idea.

But since your new to double bass work, i say the pearl because
1. if you decide you dont like double bass, 129 isnt something you will be TOO upset about
2. if you really like double bass and want to upgrade, you wont be "aww, i spent 300 dollars on pedals i dont even want now? what was i thinking!"
3. They feature everything you need to get started without causing your head to explode because of so many adjustments
heres a link to the pearl:http://www.pearldrum.com/products/hardware/drum-pedals/p-902.aspx

300. get Pearl eliminators. The problem with Dw or Tama or any of the other brands is that for 300 you get their CRAP line not their best. Single chain, not the best cam/bearings beater etc. Pearl you get their top of the line for that price.

And dont buy used pedals. Get new, they come with a 2 or 3 year warranty!

I'm generally not one to shoot down someone's advice, but always consider used...used pedals, used cymbals, used drums, and especially used hardware.

Pedals are very personal, get what feels best, just keep in mind there's more than just DW and TAMA out there. Yamaha makes some great pedals, and there's good "vintage" stuff. I worked with a guy who inherited a DW9000 setup, but still rocked his speed king from the 70-80's. Find what YOU like, be it used, old, new, DW, camco, or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back