What heads for Hipgig Al Foster?

pedro45

Hi all, I just bought a pristine Al Foster kit but I want to know from people who know or who have the same kit what might be the best heads to make this thing sound as good as possible. I play in jazz, R&B & blues-type gigs.Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks antemano, pedro
ps- also if you think it worth it to convert the bass drum to having real rims, please advise

Hi Pedro,

I have the same kit. I use either coated or clear ambassador heads with no muffling at all. I tune the tom heads to the same pitch on both batter and reso, I think with the smaller drum sizes I want want the drums to resonate and not chocked at all. The bass drum I use a ps3 batter and I had Jim Feck at DrumART.com make me a reso head, he uses Aqaurian. I also had the kickport installed as well. I did have the Evans pillow inside the kick but replaced that with a felt strip across the batter, nothing on the reso. Bass drum sounds pretty good, not my 22" oak custom but pretty good punch.

I too am thinking of getting bass rims to allow me to use bass drum heads rather than tom heads on the kick. Good luck, you will love the kit.

Back