Stock bass drum reso heads

BassDriver

Silver Member
Now we know that there is a tendency of drum heads that come with a kit to be of crap quality...

...with my Tama Superstar kept the stock bass drum reso head...

...does anyone think of replacing those with something of good quality?

...I was wondering if I replaced the batter side head of the bass drum but kept the stock reso head if it would be good quality (good enough to record) of sound?

If the head is over a year old, it should deffinitely be replaced. Just because you don't hit the reso. doesn't mean in never wears out. And especially, if you're gonna record, new heads......for everybody.

I wouldn't rush out to replace the front bass drum head just because of the "stock heads are crap" stigma. How does the drum sound, and are you happy with it? If it sounds good, it is good.

However, I think if you're going to record you should have a solid head, and one with a hole, so you can have both options easily available.

I have found that stock resos on the Tama kits, and other kits can be of different qualities.
Some are thin like a snare bottom. Some thicker single ply with a dampening system.
I found that the head on my Tama kit was thin and I bought a high quality replacement logo head.
Check yours and see.

The heads that were supplied on my most recent kits were all quality heads from either Evans or Remo. Just because some heads come stock on some kits doesn't mean they're going to sound abysmal. If your kits are beginner or intermediate, you'll probably be better off with first class heads from one of the better known manufacturers. A lot of times the stock heads that come equipped with a drum kit actually sound very nice, it's the tuning of those heads that are the drawback for many individuals. You may not take drum lessons, but it really would pay off in the long run if those who have problems tuning their kits would get one on one personal instructions from a pro. This would be much better than trying to learn from the many videos on the net because you are right there with a professional and you'll be able to listen to the subtle differences and ask questions.

Just my thoughts.

Dennis

^^ Well said. Not all stock heads are crap--as you go far enough up the line in Pearl kits, for example, the bass drum heads are real (non-Chinese) Remo PS3s.

Back