Dennis Chambers

DogBreath said:
And think of us poor slobs who have to work on weekends while you are out having fun.

Yes!!! ....and don't bash Ringo (had to lengthen up, Dog......)

Attachments

• dc.jpg
    dc.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 5,673
Last edited:
I'm amazed by how perfectly tuned and melodic his toms are in this video, almost like timpani. I started retuning my toms a few days ago and I'm still not satisfied with the sound. Now I have a new goal: if I can't play like Dennis Chambers, at least I can try to tune my toms so sweet.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/dennischambersstudio.html

Wow. What a show, Los Lonley Boys blew me away. Ringo Garza is really solid, i love that. The only thing i wasn't likein, (me just bein a lil' technical), his over-use of the crashes, in took away from his grooves. Overall A performance, and I would gladly see them again.
Now to D.C. The beginning of Santana's set was a lil off for me. Although everyone was on que, the sound at the ampitheatre was a bit off. I couldn't hear the drums from D.C., but could clearly hear the latin percussionist, sorry forgot his name, but it steadily got better until it reached the climax for my experience there. THE DRUM SOLO. Dennis is the man. haha. His single foot technique, and use of the highats was perfect. His timing, perfect, the sound of his drums, PERFECT. He got the crowd movin let me tell you haha.
I'm sorry i cant tell you what song they open'd up with, but they did play a lot of classics, and dennis's performance A+! I loved it, and was really wanting to meet him after the show, but none of my friends wanted to wait and see if they would come out so we left, plus it was late so i didn't get home till bout 2 a.m.
Peace out

ps. Does anyone know if Dennis Chambers puts anything in his bass drum, cause it was booooooooomy. (i couldn't see, seeing as i was looking at his drums from the right side the whole time).
Thanks

I too went to see that show at the Bell center, and it was nothing short of amazing, I too liked the Los Lonely boys, alot of talent in that band.

I hadn't seen much of chamber's before I saw him live that night, but after the show, I was just amazed. Simple as that.

I saw Dennis play a drum clinic near my house, and that man is amazing. He played about a 30minute drum solos, and every was just in awe.

I was in awe of his solo at the concert, i also have to give major props to their bass players solo\, and i forgot, him and D.C had a lil' drum bass section, that was pretty groovin.

P.S DogBreath, just lettin you know his drums sounded perfect. it looked like he added stuff too, like a bass drum over his first two floor toms. he used it a lot and it had a coated head, sounded pretty sweet.
Peace

i dont agree with dog breath i dont like his tom tuning, but i think his a great technical drummer and one of the drummers that more rudiments use in his playing. its a great great drummer and one of my favorites

I agree with you Freddie, I saw him with Mike Stern a few years back... Lets just say most of the crowd was not there for Mike Stern. I don't think I picked up the sticks for a good week after seeing him. I was bummed out that I would never be a fraction of a percent as good as Dennis.

Dennis is just a beast, a completely self taught player who doesn't read music and do everything by ear !

I saw him with Santana and his 10 minutes solo spot got the biggest crowd reaction of the evening (more than the Santana radio hits ).

There is only one Dennis !

Yeah his pocket is really deep such a funky mofo. I really love the way he makes everything he plays seem so effortless. He has inspired me to strive to lay back in the pocket in my playing. Two things that have made there way into my style because of him are that hat bass bass triplet he is the master of that IMO and that fireworks double bass flurry with the syncopated crashes over the top. I just love this guys playing.

Last edited:
LiquidSoul546 said:
and was really wanting to meet him after the show, but none of my friends wanted to wait and see if they would come out so we left, plus it was late so i didn't get home till bout 2 a.m.
Peace out

DUDE! u had a chance 2 meet chambers and u just walked 'cuz of some friend!?
omg. I'd stay there till 5a.m and would've walk home if that's what it takes. :\ whatever
As for chambers. Man he is pure perfection when it comes 2 drumming. He's my fav drummer of all time no doubt about.

hes go the fastest hands i think ever, he plays the double bass as it should be, and does an exceptional job at it, and has the some of the greatest grooves ever. Truely a drum god. And the amazing thing is, he was totally and absolutely self taught, by watching drummers in night clubs.

I just saw him once doing a workshop at the Montreux Jazz Festival last year. He did a 25 minute solo, but honestly it didn't really touched me except that he did a five minute sick thing : accelarating with the double pedal and slowing with the snareroll, and vice-versa (kinda John Hiseman trick). But he didn't really play a cool groove, and I lost a bit the rythm feel in his technical solo. I got more kicked watching Calhoun's workshop this year.
But that was only an hour workshop, you can't know everything about a drummer in one hour.

The same night I watched him a while with Santana and his groove was perfect, but couldn't stay long cuz I really don't stand what Santana's doing actually. I could see Chambers solo which was short, and more a show thing than a real solo. He did his double-pedal/snare acceleration/slowdown thing while drinking a bottle of Tequila mixed with orange juice. Fun and impressive, but couldn't see more because Santana's music.

Dr Drums said:
DUDE! u had a chance 2 meet chambers and u just walked 'cuz of some friend!?
omg. I'd stay there till 5a.m and would've walk home if that's what it takes. :\ whatever
As for chambers. Man he is pure perfection when it comes 2 drumming. He's my fav drummer of all time no doubt about.

haha, the reason i left is because my friend was my ride home...so i geuss being stranded in milwaukee for the night to MAYBE meet dennis chambers sounds like a deal right now, but then was about midnight and i already saw the greatest drum solo i've ever seen so...
peace

LiquidSoul546 said:
haha, the reason i left is because my friend was my ride home...so i geuss being stranded in milwaukee for the night to MAYBE meet dennis chambers sounds like a deal right now, but then was about midnight and i already saw the greatest drum solo i've ever seen so...
peace

hhh, when u put it that way :)

No offense to Ringo Garza, but there are a few other drummers here in his hometown of San Angelo, TX that would like to think he wasn't even the 5th best drummer in town when Los Lonely Boys hit it big.

I'm not gonna name names though. One of them rhymes with Moo_Crib. ;-)

LLB are really good though, even if individually they aren't the best. As a group, they really shine and feed off each other.

Back