Question About Porting a DW Stock Kick Reso

areFish

Silver Member
I have a KickPort in my drum junk drawer. I am contemplating putting it to use again. In order to use it on my 22" kick I would have to port the stock DW reso or buy another reso. The stock DW reso has 6 dime size mini ports that run along the perimeter of the head. If I add another 5" hole to this head will it kill the tone? I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has ported a DW stock reso, with the six small holes, and what the results were.

Don't you think if DW wanted you to port their front reso they would've done it for you? They are the end-all for everything you should do with your set of drums ;)

I'm kidding.

Don't you think if DW wanted you to port their front reso they would've done it for you? They are the end-all for everything you should do with your set of drums ;)

I'm kidding.
So true :).

It isn't broke and I don't need to fix it, but would like to know in advance if I could expect any improvements.

i added a port to my reso head and it did loose some tone but i feel it was justified as i can now get a mic inside of the thing.

not to mention the DW shells sound so amazing can you even call it a loss?

i added a port to my reso head and it did loose some tone but i feel it was justified as i can now get a mic inside of the thing.

not to mention the DW shells sound so amazing can you even call it a loss?

It's never a loss if you like the sound. To me I never worry about getting a microphone inside of the drum's shell because there are so many great ways of miking the drum without having to port it.

Dennis

Back