Electronic Drum Kit to fit my needs.

fergieonfire

Hey guys, I've been a long time viewer of dummerworld for opinions and instructional topics, but decided its about time to make my first post. So, as the title says, I'm looking into an electronic drum kit, but there is so much information about the general specifications, and no the specifics. I know some have everything I want (cost a ton) and I know some are not even worth the time looking into, so I need the help of some gurus who are well educated on the subject. Here is what I'm looking for.

Requirements.
1. I want a full set for what I normally play. More specifically snare,bass,3 toms, 4 cymbals. This does not have to come included in the set, I am all for buying a 5 piece that has the capabilities of expanding to a larger set.

2. Chokeable cymbals. I want to be able to choke at least 2 of the cymbals (crashes) the ride and auxiliary cymbal are not really important to choke.

3.At least 2 zones of the ride. 3 would be preferable, but the bell and cymbal surface are enough. Also I've seen a lot of sets with triangular shaped cymbals? Not really a big fan can those even do multiple-zoning?

Optional.
I would like mesh heads just for the feel, but they are not a necessary. I know they are usually much more expensive so thats probably a wish list item that is not very practical
I would also like for the hi-hat pedal to be one piece, and not just connected by a wire or something just for "feel" issues, but again not a biggie. I want it to have good samples on the brain for playing live and stuff, but this will mostly be used for practicing and recording, so I can just edit my own sounds into it later if needed.

Final thoughts: I want the best set that meets theses needs and the optional ones too, but without paying an arm and a leg. I know that these sets can run pretty expensive so I am willing to pay a good bit of money for it, however I dont want to go into debt for the rest of my life for this purchase. I want the "cheapest" set possible that matches my specifications, BUT DOES NOT LACK IN QUALITY! If paying an extra 20,50,or 100 bucks is necessary to be satisfied with a product, then so be it. Thanks in advance you guys, and sorry for such a lengthy post. Im sure you drumming wizards out there will be able to help me!

Yamaha DTXtreme III. I have owned it for some time now and all I can say is that it is just a fantastic kit. (No meshheads on this one, though.)

Yamaha DTXtreme III. I have owned it for some time now and all I can say is that it is just a fantastic kit. (No meshheads on this one, though.)

Thanks for they reply, and this set matches all of the requirements that I listed above im guessing?

I think so, except for the mesh heads. See Yamaha DTXTREME III features.

I think these have some sort of new silicone based heads, and from what ive read mesh vs silicone is pretty much just a personal preference and not a difference it quality. Thanks for the link it has a ton of good info. This set is a little pricey for my taste, but if thats what it takes to get a good set, then that is what I'm willing to pay.

Anyone have any other suggestions out there?

I think these have some sort of new silicone based heads, and from what ive read mesh vs silicone is pretty much just a personal preference and not a difference it quality. Thanks for the link it has a ton of good info. This set is a little pricey for my taste, but if thats what it takes to get a good set, then that is what I'm willing to pay.

Anyone have any other suggestions out there?

The DTXtreme III has rubber drum pads (TP100/TP120 - 3 zone pads) and 3 zone cymbals as well....
The newer DTX900/DTX950 has the newer TCS drum pads (textured cellular silicone)...these are also 3 zone pads...from what I've read and heard these new pads feel much more like real drums and are quieter as well (a little more quiet than mesh)

The DTXtreme III has rubber drum pads (TP100/TP120 - 3 zone pads) and 3 zone cymbals as well....
The newer DTX900/DTX950 has the newer TCS drum pads (textured cellular silicone)...these are also 3 zone pads...from what I've read and heard these new pads feel much more like real drums and are quieter as well (a little more quiet than mesh)

AHHH thanks for clearing that up.

I have a DTX3 and have added the new snare pad. IMO it is the closest thing to acoustic you will find. It's quieter than the rubber and has great rebound and feel. Yamaha really did a good job with the new pads.

Remember DTX3's are $2400...new snare pad and you have IMO the best ekit on the market. FWIW I played a TD-12 and DTX3 for a week sitting side by side in my house.

Hi
I can offer you the following..Recently moved into an apartment from full home/studio.
I work with 2 bands(practice 2 a week..full set in each studio),approx. 10 students(at their home) and gig 3 to 6 times per month.
I use a Roland TD-10 and practice pad for my daily workout. Both are quiet. The TD-10 let me learn and out out stuff! I'm on 10 to 12 different drum sets a week..so the home time on a TD-10 is ok.
Keep in mind that the action from the pedals on many electronic kits are not quiet. So if sound is an issue you may want to consider the TD-10.
It's also cost effective. Denis

Hi
I can offer you the following..Recently moved into an apartment from full home/studio.
I work with 2 bands(practice 2 a week..full set in each studio),approx. 10 students(at their home) and gig 3 to 6 times per month.
I use a Roland TD-10 and practice pad for my daily workout. Both are quiet. The TD-10 let me learn and out out stuff! I'm on 10 to 12 different drum sets a week..so the home time on a TD-10 is ok.
Keep in mind that the action from the pedals on many electronic kits are not quiet. So if sound is an issue you may want to consider the TD-10.
It's also cost effective. Denis

does the TD-10 offer the things i listed above?

chokeable cymbals
capability of 3+ toms and 4+ cymbals
multizone cymbal capability

Hi,

I am a new member to this site. I am a leaner and wanted to make a choice to buy a Roland Electronic Drum.

Can somebody provide me a difference between SPD-S or SPD-30, am looking at both the options and wanted your suggestions to buy a good one.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Anthony Praveen

Hi,

I am a new member to this site. I am a leaner and wanted to make a choice to buy a Roland Electronic Drum.

Can somebody provide me a difference between SPD-S or SPD-30, am looking at both the options and wanted your suggestions to buy a good one.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Anthony Praveen

I actually have another thread asking if anyone had an opinion on the SPD-S vs the Yamaha Multi 12. I digress...
My take on your Question(besides all the tech specs which you can find on Roland's web site):
There are a lot of differences. I will try to hit the Main Points.

The SPD-S is a sampler as well as a percussion pad module(&controller). You can directly sample into it, pretty neat. It also has a lot more flexibility in creating your own kits, loops, samples...
I see the SPD-30(octopad) as more of a standalone unit. Plug and play kind of thing. It is difficult to create "user kits" if not impossible.(someone can help me here) It doesn't have the user expandability that the SPD-S does, not even close. It does have a heck of a lot more i/o options than the SPD-S. Namely, the ability to add external triggers, pads, etc.. That is the major downfall of the SPD-S as far as I am concerned.
I owned the SPD-30 for awhile and it was nice to add to my acoustic setup; w/o much effort. It is easy to use and the "phrase loop" function is very cool. (except you cannot turn off the D*** phrase loop light, it is constantly flashing) I wasn't all that impressed with the sounds that come with the SPD-30(& Roland E-Drums in general) that and its lack of expandability as far as user kits, loops, etc. was a deal killer for me. I am going to get the SPD-S and give it a go as I enjoy creating my own sounds.

Long story short, it depends on what you are after. If you want a unit that you can plug in and go and attach a few pads w/o doing much in the way of set up, I would look at the SPD-30.
If you want a heck of a lot more expandability as far as internals go, don't mind only having 2 external trigger inputs, and want to really get into the world of electronics I would look at the SPD-S. That and it is much less expensive(real world not MSRP) and seems a good place to start.

I just don't see the SPD-30 being a good long term investment as it is very much a standalone type unit. If you want to use one or the other by itself perhaps the SPD-30 would be a good choice. If you want to add on to your acoustic set I think the SPD-S is the way to go.

That is just my two cents for what its worth. I know I left out a lot, just tried to hit the main diff's, I am sure I will get corrected and retorted; but hey that is what forums are for!
Best of luck and happy drumming!

does the TD-10 offer the things i listed above?

chokeable cymbals
capability of 3+ toms and 4+ cymbals
multizone cymbal capability

I don't know first hand, however the TD-10 is rolands old model, no longer in production. Its been replaced with the TD-12 and TD-20 which will do everything you want.

TD-12 starts at roughly $3500 and TD-20 is 6k.

Hi,

Take a look at the Pearl e-pro live. Seems like a natural option. Just like an acoustic drumset but w pads (you can switch to heads!) and metal cymbalpads. Tried one in a store and it has good feel but the cymbs are a bit clangy (in comparison of course) good realism though. Many very good sounds. Check it out!
C.

Back