sticks for metal recommendation

JamesLyrie-Stewart

im a metal drummer. ive used vic firth's Steve Gadd signature drumstick and Regal Tips Eseries drumsticks. the vic firth drumstick's broken and the Regal Tips drumsticks is too short for me....ive noticed that a lot of metal drummer like Joey, Chris Adler and Daniel Erlandsson use long drumsticks. yes i love long drumsticks too. and it seems that the Ahead drumsticks are very suitable for metal drummer, but ive never use them; moreover, so far, seldom famous metal drummer use Ahead....... so would anybody who've used Ahead tell me if it's good??? and why it's good(or bad)?? also, please give some suggestions or recommendations on choosing drumsticks for metal drummer. THANKS!!!!! P.S. i play really heavy metal like Arch Enemy's, Lamb of God's.....

Honestly, you're going to get a lot of recommendations, but none of them will know what you like more than you, obviously.

I play many styles, many metal variants as well, I like very light sticks generally, round tips. I most often do not like signiture series sticks, as they are twice the price of other quality sticks.

My suggestion: go on Amazon or such and buy a bunch that suitable.

I play with 7a's(with a long taper) generally but I practice with 2b's(and everything in between) This method translates to much faster blasting and controlled playing when I'm actually with a group of people.

If you want a stick that is really out of the box, try the Danny Carey sticks, they are great for finger practice

Hi there! I use ahead stick and play alot of metal, and i love them! they feel and bounce just like a normal stick, and are very, very, VERY durable! One pair and your set for well over a year. If you want longer sticks, ahead might not be the right choice, but if its power your concerned about, ive found that i can play with more power with the ahead sticks because of the way they are weighted (nothing too drastic, just different than wood). the longest ones i could find are
Tommy Lee signature short taper- 17 inches
Xl rock super short taper- 16.75 inches
metal fuse 2b- 16.625

i would recomend out of those above the metal fuse. while i havent tried them, they look like they are bassically an extra long 5b. Plus, you are interested in metal drumsticks, most of which are long taper which provides better bounce. (not to say short taper is bad, it "shifts" more weight to the front of the stick giving more power for the price of less bounce) 2 notable metal drummers that use or have used ahead are Lars Ulrich and Joey Jordison, both of their drumsticks have long taper. I own the Joey sig sticks, they are about the size of a 7a but they bounce like CRAZY.

If you want a cheaper, less permanent solution, try vic firth american classic metal, at 17 inches wrong youve got a hell of a lot of reach to work with

If you like sticks that double as billy clubs then try Danny Carey signature, tapered in where your fingers grip so they don't slip and 16.5" long. great balance. They're my favorite.

Back