Rubber or Plastic Bass Drum Beater?

Max1805

Hi, I've just got a pair of DW9002 bass pedals but i find the stock beaters are too heavy for me - so i was looking at the DW Hardcore beaters but have heard that they can break quite easily and they generally aren't anything special. Could anyone shed any light on that perhaps?

Secondly, i've been looking at the Puresound Beaters - I'm deciding between the plastic head or the rubber. Now i'm worried the plastic is going to be too 'clicky', so therefore i'd probably go in between the plastic and felt and go for the rubber. However i've head that the rubber rubs/melts away very quickly. Again could anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!

Or i just trigger my kick drum - that way it doesn't really matter what type (ie plastic etc) beater i use. Thoughts?

The Tama Iron Cobra rubber and wood beaters are great. I use the felt but I own the other two. They have a great feel and sound...not too heavy.

I made my own beater out of Jarrah wood for that solid slap that plastic can't match. It's a replacement for a round felt beater (traditional type) and I made it the same size so it's heavy. I won't win any speed contests, but get a mighty punch out of my BD which sounds great.

Triggers? nah mate.....save yourself a bucket load and buy plastic beaters instead. :)

Yeah you're right... i mean i do have the module so all i'd need is the trigger.. i don't play metal or anything with a great deal of speed on the double kick so the trigger would purely be used to just get a great sounding kick at gigs and stuff - or as you say just get a plastic beater... humm

Yeah you're right... i mean i do have the module so all i'd need is the trigger.. i don't play metal or anything with a great deal of speed on the double kick so the trigger would purely be used to just get a great sounding kick at gigs and stuff - or as you say just get a plastic beater... humm

Nah...sorry mate. It was meant to be a joke (obviously missed it's mark though)

You said in your initial post that you were "worried the plastic is going to be too 'clicky'".....then you asked, "Or i just trigger my kick drum"......my point being that nothing sounds "clickier" than triggers, so if you want "click", spend less on a plastic beater......which, fwiw I've not found to be too clicky at all.

Clear as mud?

Nah...sorry mate. It was meant to be a joke (obviously missed it's mark though)

You said in your initial post that you were "worried the plastic is going to be too 'clicky'".....then you asked, "Or i just trigger my kick drum"......my point being that nothing sounds "clickier" than triggers, so if you want "click", spend less on a plastic beater......which, fwiw I've not found to be too clicky at all.

Clear as mud?

Aaahh sorry yeah i get it now lol - Ok so you don't find the plastic beaters to clicky... in that case i will probably go for the Puresound Plastic beaters. Do you know much about the DW hardcore beaters? They do sound like they produce a nice sound, but as i mentioned in my first post, people seem to have problems with them breaking and stuff...

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've never tried a rubber beater, i ought to though it sounds like it might be to my liking. But i use a plastic beater because it gives me a nice solid chomp and because im not too hard of a stomper so it gives me a bit of a louder sound.

Back