Floor Tom Drum Heads

musical_ride

Hi i have a question on a 16x16 floor tom made of Maple i have a aquarian clear on it just now but i don't think its doing it any justice so would like to change it to something else but not quite sure what particular drum head would be best suited. The sound am looking for is more of a "Thud" rather than the current open tone as though it needs tuned when it really dosent. Much help is greatly appreciated

Holy font size batman!

I have been considering putting a different type of head on my floor toms as I also find it hard to get a good sound when tuning my floor toms the same as my rack tom.

My suggestion is to try a dampened head, for example a Remo pinstripe or the equivalent Aquarian head.

Just throw an o-ring on it?

dont_use_comic_sans1.jpeg

I am currently using G2's on my floors. but I like the Evans EC2's a lot. Great balance between that fat "thud" but still has some sustain. The EC2's have a bit more life to them than the Pinstripes and Performance 2's.

If you want a thud I'd get some Moon Gel or an O-Ring and bypass the idea of getting a whole new head.

I agree and just as a side note my drums are maple as well and Aquarian single ply heads are my favorite head, I use classic clear resos and either classic clear with moon jell or studio x without moon jell as batters, no cardboard sounding 2 plys on my drums...lol

Last edited:
Lets start with the reso, shall we.
Install an Evans EC Clear Resonant head on the bottom of that tom.
Install an Evans EC2 coated on the top and tune until a thud is heard!

I'm curious if it matters what quality of shell or wood type one has when they resort to tuning to a "THUD" type sound? I would think if you tune to a "THUD" then you might as well have drum shells made out of particle board, anyone agree with this?

I'm curious if it matters what quality of shell or wood type one has when they resort to tuning to a "THUD" type sound? I would think if you tune to a "THUD" then you might as well have drum shells made out of particle board, anyone agree with this?
It's kind of like having an exotic wood shell bass drum and then stuffing it with a pillow. The shell doesn't matter as much when you dampen a drum.
I use an inexpensive Pearl Forum bass drum with ddrum Maple toms on my Rock kit because the bass drum just goes "Thump" anyway.

It's kind of like having an exotic wood shell bass drum and then stuffing it with a pillow. The shell doesn't matter as much when you dampen a drum.
I use an inexpensive Pearl Forum bass drum with ddrum Maple toms on my Rock kit because the bass drum just goes "Thump" anyway.

hehe, I like your analogy bob!

+1 on that, I agree 100%

In reality a "thud" sound can be accomplished with any head on a floor tom or any other tom for that matter. This is accomplished when the head is not tightened down enough and some might mistake this as a low tuning but in reality it's a evenly tensioned head not tensioned down enough, if that makes any sense?

Back