DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Your 5 top gigs. As audience (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135291)

aydee 01-22-2017 06:50 PM

Your 5 top gigs. As audience

Your 5 top gigs. As audience.

As in not the biggest, baddest gigs you ever saw but gigs that grabbed you by your musician cohones and opened up a new world for you and helped define you as the musician you are today.

( notice I said musician not drummer. Important difference )
Im also excluding club gigs where one usually goes to hear the kind of music one likes.
5 because its nice to concise rather than expansive

I'll start by revealing my Palaeolithic timeline.

1) Weather Report ( Avery Fisher Hall, 1981 )
2) Police ( Bottom Line, NYC 1979 )
3) Return To Forever ( Beacon Theatre, NYC 2013 )
4) Pink Floyd ( Concert by the Pier NYC 1985 )
5) Dire Straits ( Philly, 1984 )

Go ahead....

force3005 01-22-2017 07:24 PM

Re: Your 5 top gigs. As audience

Hi Aydee, here are my top five.

Little Big Town 2016

Eric Church 2014

Alabama 1987

The Kinks 1984

Supertramp 1984

larryace 01-22-2017 07:43 PM

Fab Faux
Dave Mason
Grand Funk
Kansas
Bad Company/Black Oak Arkansas/Lynyrd Skynyrd all on the same bill

aydee 01-22-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 1481281)
Fab Faux
Dave Mason
Grand Funk
Kansas
Bad Company/Black Oak Arkansas/Lynyrd Skynyrd all on the same bill

Thats some great old 'Footstompin music, Larry! : ))

( boy, did I wear out the Mark, Don & Mel album )

blinky 01-22-2017 08:20 PM

Crazy World of Arthur Brown
David Jaxon (saxophonist from Van der Graaf)
Peter Hammill (singer from Van der Graaf)
Kansas
Three Friends (with Kerry Minnear + some more from Gentle Giant)

larryace 01-22-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aydee (Post 1481283)
Thats some great old 'Footstompin music, Larry! : ))

( boy, did I wear out the Mark, Don & Mel album )

Ah Mark Don and Mel. Loved "Inside Looking Out" and others. What a great memory that concert was. It was my 2nd concert, 1974 I think, the first being Johnny Winter in 73. We all went in a big group. I predicted GFR would open with "Footstompin Music". I also remember being under the influence of an amphetamine called robins eggs. When they actually did start with "Footstompin Music" that was it. I was gone. It was a really great time.

I still bear a scar from that concert. I made a hash pipe out by retrofitting a guitar slide onto a metal home made pipe, then loading it with like 7 grams of black hash, (the kind that was green in the middle and smooth black on the outside) and passing it around the Philadelphia Spectrum to about 9 of my close friends. After it was all done, the last guy touches the guitar slide part to my bare forearm to give me my pipe back. My skin just vaporized lol.

I have to try really hard to remember all the concerts I saw. I mean it was the 70's lol.

WallyY 01-22-2017 08:48 PM

1) Queen 76
2) Frampton 76
3) Pink Floyd 76
4) Buddy Rich w/ Boston Pops 81
5) Allman Bros w/ Jaimo 80ish a few different shows
6) Lenny Kravitz about two years ago

opentune 01-22-2017 09:38 PM

1. Led Zeppelin 1977
2. Wilco 2010
3. The Talking Heads 1982
4. David Bowie 1983
5. Elton John 1984

keep it simple 01-22-2017 10:32 PM

Slade - 74
Max Webster - 79
Sad Cafe - 79
It Bites - 88
The Tubes - 2001

The SunDog 01-22-2017 10:45 PM

I've seen somewhere around 5000 bands (that's a guess, it could be more). It's impossible to say. Aerosmith? Seen them five times and always flawless. A local Syracuse band in the early 90's named Dracula Jones. They expanded my horizon. Taught me what it means to be a professional. I've seen a lot of bands, good and bad, and I feel that they all taught me something. Some shows seemed magical. I saw Tommy Lee play drums upside down above me. A piece of his Dentine gum (wrapped) fell in my shirt! I saw SRV before his untimely demise. Hell, he was only 27 then. I watched Dokken wear make-up, hairspray, and spandex (morons) in Rich Stadium following a jeans and t-shirts Metallica, who absolutely shredded everyone that day. Some people here think Lars can't play. Ha! I saw Rick Allen when he still had two arms. I was one of the "mud people" at the Nine Inch Nails Woodstock ll show. I saw Axl Rose sing with Tom Petty. I have a bloody dolls body from Alice Cooper. I watched a security guy punch a girl to get Slash's top hat back after it blew off. Beck in Vernon NY in 97. Beck in Tucson 2014. Ben Folds Five......insane! I'd love to sit down and have a couple beers and reminisce with you all.

GruntersDad 01-22-2017 10:45 PM

James Taylor
Ringo Starr
Billy Joel
Wierd Al (2)
Mindy Abair, Euge Groove, Boney James...one gig
Lyle Lovett
...in no particular order.

5 0r 6 metric

Seafroggys 01-22-2017 10:46 PM

I'm 'younger' (30) so I never saw all these great bands in their prime, but I have seen them later on. Also including touring acts and not strictly local bands/shows.

1. The Who (2006)
2. Paul McCartney (2002) also saw him in 2005 and 2016
3. Storm Large and the Balls (2007) saw them/her many times
4. Rush (2008) saw them in 2013 as well
5. Metallica (2008)

Thunder 42 01-22-2017 10:57 PM

these stand out

Clapton (w Knopfler) '88
U2 '92
Steve Miller Band '93
Hillsong United '15
Gregory Alan Isakov (backed by the NSO at Kennedy Center) '16

Rotarded 01-22-2017 11:00 PM

Been to hundreds of unmemorable concerts, many by big name acts. Here are the one's that just cant forget:

Social Distortion 1984 (small club, just blew me away)
The Who 1979 (yes, Cincinnati. I was in high school)
Tower of Power 1996
Pink Floyd 1994
Grateful Dead 6/11/1993 (just because I went to my College graduation commencement in the afternoon, and the Dead that night)

mikel 01-22-2017 11:02 PM

Downtown Faction, later to become Lindisfarne, early 1968. Inspired my early love of Blues.

Jethro Tull, 1970. Ian Anderson, the consumate front man.

Yes, 1973, truly inspirational musicians.

The Police, first album tour, got me back into music. Still the best gig I have ever attended.

Deacon Blue reunion tour early 2000s. Sang myself into a coma. Pure nostalgia but brilliant.

Moejo 01-22-2017 11:15 PM

1. Incubus - 7/14/2004 - Allstate Arena ( The only band to fill that room that I've seen)
2. Rush - 6/16/90 - Alpine Valley
3. Lenny Kravitz - 5/8/99 - Rosemont Horizon W/The Black Crowes
4. Plant & Page - 4/29/95 - Rosemont Horizon
5. Winery Dogs - 10/18/13 - Durty Nellies palantine IL

lsits 01-22-2017 11:24 PM

Well, since you said concerts that helped define the kind of musician that I am today, here are my picks. In no particular order:

- The Atlanta Rhythm Section. Saw them in Memphis in 1976 or 1977 sandwiched between Wet Willie and The Outlaws.

- Peter Frampton: The Frampton Comes Alive tour.

- Queen. The Sheer Heart Attack tour.

- The Beach Boys: Sometime during the nid-70s.

- Ringo Starr: 2012

Vintage Old School 01-23-2017 03:59 AM

Maynard Ferguson 1977 (Peter Erskine on drums)
Dixie Dregs 1980/1983
Jackson Browne 1980
U2 1985
Rush 1981/2015

aydee 01-23-2017 05:29 AM

Wow, this is cool. Lots of ol skool alley cats rummaging in this neighborhood aye! Larry, we share some common 'growing up' it seems.Andy, I could've guessed you're a Slade man, and I saw Grunter's Ringo coming from a mile away! : ))
Keep em coming folks.. this is fun

PS- Mikel, I saw Police open for Cobham! 79, I think..

blinky 01-23-2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 1481319)
Slade - 74
Max Webster - 79
Sad Cafe - 79
It Bites - 88
The Tubes - 2001

I could have killed to see that Slade gig, well maybe not but you know what I mean...
I was about 10 at that time and a member in their fan club.
Did Noddy have his mirrored hat, and was Dave Hill dressed up as the Electric nun?
Actually I'm Reading "the World according to Noddy" at the moment, there's some funny stuff in there!

BacteriumFendYoke 01-23-2017 08:22 AM

Going to be 'That Guy' but:

Went to see my brother (seriously good French Horn player) play in Benjamin Britten's War Requiem at the Bridgewater Hall in about 2009. That was amazing.

Watching my partner sing at the BBC Proms as part of the Halle Choir in the 2009 Summer at the Royal Albert Hall.

Mahler 8 at the Birmingham Symphony Hall in 2011 was particularly special. Massed choir, huge orchestra, a coup of thousand people and at one point a single violin playing pianissimo...

A night of drone and drone-inspired music at St. Pancras Old Church in October 2014 - hilarity ensued when I got stranded in central London after the Northern Line went out. Had to call a neighbour to pick me up but fortunately she owed me a favour!

Merzbow at Café Oto, October 1st last year. Standing next to Thurston Moore - who was just hanging out - for half an hour watching one of my favourite artists from less than ten feet. That was very special indeed.

mikel 01-23-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aydee (Post 1481386)
Wow, this is cool. Lots of ol skool alley cats rummaging in this neighborhood aye! Larry, we share some common 'growing up' it seems.Andy, I could've guessed you're a Slade man, and I saw Grunter's Ringo coming from a mile away! : ))

That would be the tour. I saw them in Sting's, and my own, hometown of Newcastle. Magic.

paradiddle pete 01-23-2017 09:09 AM

Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Free, Jethro Tull, Daddy Cool..but many more bands are just as good, these concerts were special ones though. BB King deserves a mention as well. I liked the Hash with the Gold OM symbol on it.

keep it simple 01-23-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Andy, I could've guessed you're a Slade man

Well, I was only 13 at the time, but I still rate Noddy as having one of the best "rock" vocals of all time, & there was some great songwriting too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U_StmOgGX0

Am I the only one who thinks Noddy would have made the best AC/DC vocalist ever?

The Sweet concert I went to the following year should really have made my list too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinky (Post 1481402)
I could have killed to see that Slade gig, well maybe not but you know what I mean...
I was about 10 at that time and a member in their fan club.
Did Noddy have his mirrored hat, and was Dave Hill dressed up as the Electric nun?

4th May 74 - Mountford hall, Liverpool. I went on my own, standing in the queue outside with just about everyone much older / bigger than me. I remember it was "F" loud, like way too much, but the performance vibe was stunning. Most audience involved gig I've ever been to.

Oh, Noddy & Dave - yes, & yes :)

JohnoWorld 01-23-2017 09:31 AM

Biffy Clyro - Leeds cockpit
Tool - Nottingham Arena
Faith No More - Nottingham Rock City
The Prodigy - Wolverhampton Civic Hall

All of which were from about 1995 - 2005

The last one is something recent - any gig where Heck are playing (Jamie Lenman, Black Peaks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql1VfvEycHg

They play most of their gig in the crowd (if they're not restricted too much)

iwearnohats 01-23-2017 11:56 AM

1. Symphony X, Sydney 2016
2. Dream Theater, Sydney 2010
3. Virgil Donati Band, 2005
4. Virgil Donati drum clinic, 2010 (I think?)
5. Dave Weckl Band, 2006... or 05... I can't remember!

Most of the bands I like rarely come to Australia so I go to very few gigs :(

eclipseownzu 01-23-2017 03:22 PM

I had front row seats to see Tool in a 3000 seat theater in Berkeley in 2001.

Rage Against the Machine at the Cactus Club in San Jose in 1992 or 1993.

Korn at the Boathouse in Norfolk, Va in 1995

Primus at the Nightbreak in SF 1990 or 1991. I

My first show; Anthrax and Exodus in Oakland in 1989. I separated my shoulder in the pit, it was totally worth it.

GruntersDad 01-23-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Am I that transparent? Saw Ringo with decent seats for a decent price, two years layet the price doubled for the same seat. Sorry Ringo......

catskillclimber 01-23-2017 04:03 PM

NIN
Tool
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

8Mile 01-23-2017 04:14 PM

I'll play along and put my list up here but I will NOT surround it with all those crazy ellipses you like to use. I have my limits. However, I will take the opportunity to be verbose and explain my choices.

This is a tricky one for me, because I usually got knocked out by a record first, then attended the live gig to find out more. So most of the game-changing moments for me came in my early, formative years. And not by famous bands, but the ones I happened to see up close.

1) Junior high school, punk band playing in the cafeteria, 1979-ish. I can't remember the name of the band, or anyone in it, but in my crazy-progressive school, I got to listen to a band that played so loud I thought my head was going to explode, asking the question in one of their songs, "Do frogs have cocks?"

2) Junior high school, some kids playing in the band room, 1979-ish. I remember the name of the drummer. Everyone was fawning over him and the girls were blown away. I knew at that moment I had to play music. And probably the drums.

3) Asia, 1983. My first real concert seeing a big-time band. Being in the midst of a huge concert-going crowd and taking in the volume and spectacle of everything kinda blew me away.

4) Alexander Zonjic, 1984-ish. He's a local jazz-fusion flautist. It was the first time I sat in a small club really close to a band that was doing extended improvisations. Left a huge impression on me.

5) Rush, 1985. My favorite band at the time, featuring my then-favorite drummer. It was kind of a religious experience.

Macarina 01-23-2017 07:09 PM

Pink Floyd '87 (A Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour)
Elton John (Yellow Brick Road tour)(Face to Face w/ Billy Joel)
Bad Co 2016
Supertramp
Kansas

GruntersDad 01-23-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8Mile (Post 1481448)
I'll play along and put my list up here but I will NOT surround it with all those crazy ellipses you like to use. I have my limits. However, I will take the opportunity to be verbose and explain my choices.

This is a tricky one for me, because I usually got knocked out by a record first, then attended the live gig to find out more. So most of the game-changing moments for me came in my early, formative years. And not by famous bands, but the ones I happened to see up close.

1) Junior high school, punk band playing in the cafeteria, 1979-ish. I can't remember the name of the band, or anyone in it, but in my crazy-progressive school, I got to listen to a band that played so loud I thought my head was going to explode, asking the question in one of their songs, "Do frogs have cocks?"

2) Junior high school, some kids playing in the band room, 1979-ish. I remember the name of the drummer. Everyone was fawning over him and the girls were blown away. I knew at that moment I had to play music. And probably the drums.

3) Asia, 1983. My first real concert seeing a big-time band. Being in the midst of a huge concert-going crowd and taking in the volume and spectacle of everything kinda blew me away.

4) Alexander Zonjic, 1984-ish. He's a local jazz-fusion flautist. It was the first time I sat in a small club really close to a band that was doing extended improvisations. Left a huge impression on me.

5) Rush, 1985. My favorite band at the time, featuring my then-favorite drummer. It was kind of a religious experience.

So was the question in number 1 above ever answered?

aydee 01-23-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 1481482)

They probably know by now that a more general term for fertilization is accomplished outside the female's body, and therefore including amplexus, is external fertilization. Frogs and toads don't have penises. During amplexus the female discharges eggs -- usually into water -- while the male sheds sperms over the eggs.

pgm554 01-23-2017 08:15 PM

Jean Luc Ponty 1977 at the Syria Mosque (Casey Scheuerell drums)
Steps Ahead Zellerbach Hall UC Berkeley (Peter Erskine drums)
Pat Metheny Zellerbach Hall UC Berkeley (Danny Gottlieb drums)
Warriors Keystone Berkeley 1983 (Narada Michael Walden drums)
Rush Stanley Theater Pittsburgh 1975 (you know who drums)

opentune 01-23-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8Mile (Post 1481448)

Wow shocked you know/mention him! I grew up in Windsor and my friends took guitar lessons with him. I even roadied for him one night in Detroit. Great guy.

BacteriumFendYoke 01-23-2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opentune (Post 1481487)
Wow shocked you know/mention him! I grew up in Windsor and my friends took guitar lessons with him. I even roadied for him one night in Detroit. Great guy.

A flautist needs a roadie? What next? The piccolo player?!

It's a longstanding joke when I'm playing out that I wish I played the piccolo. Now I know I wouldn't even need to carry that!

drumhedd 01-23-2017 09:09 PM

1) Iron Maiden - Book of Souls World Tour, Ft. Lauderdale 2/24/16
2) Iron Maiden - Somewhere Back In Time World Tour, Chicago 6/11/08
3) Iron Maiden - Book of Souls World Tour, Chicago 4/6/16
4) Iron Maiden - Final Frontier World Tour, Tinley Park 7/18/10
5) Tool - 10,000 Days Tour, Milwaukee 7/4/07

Zero Mercury Drummer 01-23-2017 09:10 PM

1. Rush, Baltimore Clockwork Angels tour about ten rows back. It was awesome being so close and the musicianship was ridiculous. A high point for me just seeing what is possible with hard work.
2. Earthworks- Apart and Yet Apart tour, Washington DC. Sat about two feet from Bruford's kit for the whole show. Pretty mesmerizing.
3. Dream Theater- Scenes From a Memory, Jaxx, Springfield VA. Last time I saw DT in a club. Absolutely mind-blowing.
4. The Clash- Washington DC, Combat Rock tour- for obvious reasons.
5. Zappa Plays Zappa- every time I see them.

8Mile 01-23-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 1481482)

As a funny aside, I reconnected with a classmate from that year who I hadn't heard from in about 35 years. We had breakfast together to catch up on things and he brought the same moment up. I guess it was as significant for him as it was for me!

8Mile 01-23-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opentune (Post 1481487)

He used to play pretty regularly at a restaurant/bar in Rochester Hills called Murdocks back then. My parents liked the place and became fans of his. They had live jazz every weekend and a really good beer selection for that time (this was before they distributed all the beers everywhere and pre-microbrew craze in the States).