Is Mike Johnston a good teacher?

porky

Just randomly came across Mike Johnston , i didn't know he had youtube videos.. and when i watch his videos, for example the 4 stage drum practice, i think its pretty nice.So i wanna know if his teaching level is considered good?

Just randomly came across Mike Johnston , i didn't know he had youtube videos.. and when i watch his videos, for example the 4 stage drum practice, i think its pretty nice.So i wanna know if his teaching level is considered good?

I have been a member for two years, playing since I was sixteen.

I have learned more from him in the past two years than from anyone in the 18 previous years. Grooves, chops, music theory, reading, fill placement and overall musianship.

But you have got to put in the long hours, nobody else can do that for you.

Edit : and more importantly, he is a great motivator and an awesome human being.

I have learned more from him in the past two years than from anyone in the 18 previous years. Grooves, chops, music theory, reading, fill placement and overall musianship.

Edit : and more importantly, he is a great motivator and an awesome human being.

He might be the first ever non shitty online drum teacher ever hahaha

The man is a hero. I nabbed the poor guy at the London Drum Show last year and as you can see, he was extremely gracious :)

Attachments

• rsz_12238455_1624569457809297_4990365180429420106_o.jpg
    rsz_12238455_1624569457809297_4990365180429420106_o.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 690
I watched some of his lessons.. and he seems nice but his lessons didn't gel to me.. thing is.. watch some lessons.. if you like it then our opinions don't matter.

Personally i preferred the online lessons at another site that has over 1000 lessons.. adds a new one daily. Gives personalized lesson plans. Critiques of your playing and amazingly nice people.. i won't mention the name though as people that have never tried it tend to have opinions that will share without actual knowledge. :)

I watched some of his lessons.. and he seems nice but his lessons didn't gel to me.. thing is.. watch some lessons.. if you like it then our opinions don't matter.

Personally i preferred the online lessons at another site that has over 1000 lessons.. adds a new one daily. Gives personalized lesson plans. Critiques of your playing and amazingly nice people.. i won't mention the name though as people that have never tried it tend to have opinions that will share without actual knowledge. :)

You're talking about Drumeo right?

His enthusiasm & passion is contagious.
He's an excellent player but you'd never know it by the way he speaks about his drumming flaws.

If he motivates you to play & learn how to play better. He's done his job.

Also try Drumeo, it's like Kraft Dinner everyone says they don't like it in public but at home they'd take a bath in it. They have excellent guests, some even legends.

The only other thing i will add here is avoid drumchannel like the plague.. Complete waste of money, Videos are almost all low quality. And there hasn't been any new content at all for at least 2 months it seems now. Just ridiculous. The chad smith show was awesome but only a few of them and nothing new there either.

P.S. you can also try https://www.stephensdrumshed.com/ He's a great teacher and one of the nicest guys i have ever seen.. has alot of vids on youtube to see if you like him.

And i got really off topic.. sorry bout that.

I haven't seen his actual materials, but he seems well liked online, and the few videos I've watched have been fine. He obviously knows what he's doing, and has a better reputation than, say, Drumeo. I don't know any professionals who use his materials in teaching or in their own practicing, and I don't know what his online "lessons" product consists of-- if it's just videos for you to watch, or if he (or one of his staff) actually looks at a video of you playing and gives you feedback. Whatever the quality of those things, they are not lessons in the normal sense.

I think learning by videos is extremely inefficient. There should be many good players and teachers in Singapore (that's where you are, right?). I think you'd be much better off finding one of them who works for you.

yikes that profile pic, even here? Haha

Up until a few days ago I was a member of Mikeslessons.com and I'd recommend it.

On the basic package you can watch his lessons live and ask questions direct to him, then if you have the higher subscription package you have the lesson archive. He does lessons for beginners, intermediate and advanced players.

You are very much encouraged to upload a video of your playing/interpretation of a lesson so he can give pointers back to you.

Just been made redundant at work so I've had to cut down costs so have cancelled my subscription at the start of the week but I have nothing but positive things to say about it after signing up about 10months or so ago.

I am aiming go back when I sort out my money situation as I found myself learning patterns from styles of music I wouldn't come across usually and I only really nipped in and out at times so didn't take full advantage of everything he offered. I definitely saw the value in it, despite being someone who prefers face to face lessons.

Plus he comes across as a really good guy.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
He is a great teacher/guy and the best thing about him is that he makes you want to play and practice.

Stephen Taylor is another great guy.

You do grades from his lesson?

I havent used his site...but as a follow up question I would like to know if his lessons are laid out in a fairly linear/logical way...like lessons with a real teacher where they would sort of build on each lesson as you go. I hate sites that just give you a million videos and expect that you know what to do with all that information (like Jamplay for Guitar...).

Yes, what happened there? They ran out of speed and money (DW) or whatever?

I honestly don't know.. i joined almost a year ago and they had new content all the time.. most of it wasn't great but it was something.. then the live shows dropped off. not they haven't even posted a update in months. Was a complete rip-off.

Back