best cites to live in for finding band members

drummingman

Gold Member
i now live in virginia and im trying to find band members. but i have been thinking about what cities might be good to move to if i cant find the members in my area? i was thinking new york, boston, philly. those are just a few that i was thinking about. any other good ones that are more on the east coast? moving out to LA is a big move and thats why i have not really considsered that.
as is im trying to really look in my state and the states near me. im looking in maryland, washington DC, PA and NC.
my goal is to find christian members that are into metal and other heavy styles. but im just thinking about what to do if i cant. there are only a number of musicians in each area and what do you do if you cant find the members i am looking for? i have thought about moving but then the question of where too becomes an issue. i say that because i could move to new york or anywhere else and still not find the christian members that im looking for.
im willing to drive a good bit, up to 3 hours at least, to join a band or start up a band if need be. that shows that it is very important to me.
what do you all think?

well i'll tell you philly definitely alot of music, haha hard for me to tell from the suburbs but hey why not NY, everythings there and philly and surronding areas does have some pretty nice smaller places to gig, id go NYC if you could

Memphis has a pretty active music scene, not sure about metal though. Ardent Studios has recorded some Christian groups. Plus the best drum store in the country is located there.

Based on my experience:

LA
Austin
Memphis
San Diego

I misread the title as "best cites to live in for firing band members" :p I was about to say "ask Dave Mustaine!"

I misread the title as "best cites to live in for firing band members" :p I was about to say "ask Dave Mustaine!"

Haha so did I. I was going to say, why do you have to go somewhere else to do it.

Dude, you live in Virginia? Let us not forget Lamb of God, one of the biggest metal bands in the world, are from Richmond. There MUST be a burgeoning pool of heavy metal talent there, and at least some of them must be Christian.

Unless you're a VERY serious and very talented professional musician, I can't see packing up and moving your life around to find other musicians who may or may not be as committed/talented as you are. Just my 2 cents.

If you try and control too many of the variables that occur during band formation, you will lose in the end. Just let it happen.

im still on the look. i just went and put out a bunch of ad's in richmond over the weekend at music stores looking for a band. no hits yet on that, but its only been like 2 days.

honestly from my experience, the best place is the mid-west. specifically southern illinois (thats where i'm from). you don't hear of alot of acts getting signed out of there because they all move to like chicago or cali and end up falling apart shortly after. but 4 out of every 5 people play some type of instrument. and 1 out of every one of those 4 are incredibly talented. the sheer volume of musicians you can find there is mind boggling. the only problem is, so many musicians, not very many singers or good songwriters.

so yeah, so. ill. for the musicians, somewhere else for the singer.

on a counter note, the absolute WORST place to find band members is upstate new york. there are seriously no good musicians up there. you can only find cover bands. and the good musicians you can find there, are in the military stationed at fort drum and don't stick around there very long.

NASHVILLE!!! (of course, I say that because I'm going to college in Nashville in August!)
Birmingham, AL is pretty good. The metal scene (along with punk/alternative) is underground though. It's mostly southern rock, classic rock, and jazz here.

In Australia, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne are the main music hubs, though Perth (on the other side of the continent) has had a lot of good bands come out of there recently.

Back