G2 Coated or G2 Clear

BenDiuguid

Hey guys if you hadn't noticed i've posted a lot about drum heads lately, i'm fixing to replace all of my current tom heads because i've never done it and I flipped a different drumset and realized my toms sound extremely dead.

anyways after some research i'm fairly sure i want to get Evans Genera HD resonant heads.

and originally i wanted to get G2 clear's but now i'm having doubts, should i get Coated G2's?

what are the main differences in the sound? (in laymen's terms please seeing as I have no experience with tuning drums at all)

idk if it helps but I like a lot of alternative rock from like pop punk to borderline screamo (i don't like the scream lol) bands like tonight alive, paramore, 30 seconds to mars, daughtry, saosin, sleeping with sirens, ventura lights, and stuff like that.

thanks so much for the help, you guys rock!!!

Hey guys if you hadn't noticed i've posted a lot about drum heads lately, i'm fixing to replace all of my current tom heads because i've never done it and I flipped a different drumset and realized my toms sound extremely dead.

anyways after some research i'm fairly sure i want to get Evans Genera HD resonant heads.

and originally i wanted to get G2 clear's but now i'm having doubts, should i get Coated G2's?

what are the main differences in the sound? (in laymen's terms please seeing as I have no experience with tuning drums at all)

idk if it helps but I like a lot of alternative rock from like pop punk to borderline screamo (i don't like the scream lol) bands like tonight alive, paramore, 30 seconds to mars, daughtry, saosin, sleeping with sirens, ventura lights, and stuff like that.

For that style the clears might suit you better. I have played both and I have found the coateds to be a little muffled and controlled, whereas the clears give me a very throaty, full sound. If you have an opportunity to A/B the heads at a store, do so.

Take some time, do a search on tuning here on the forum, there's some great threads. This will allow you to get the most out of your heads, whichever you choose.

I'd agree with Alparrott, clears are definitely the way to go. You might consider going with EC2S clears in order to get a little bit of control on the higher frequencies (especially if you don't have as much experience with tuning- though the Level 360 collar should help).

In regards to resos, watch out for the item names- I think you're referring to Genera Resos (10mil single-ply). The Genera HD is actually a 2-ply snare batter head.

Cheers!

Yeah I didn't mean the genera HD lol I have it saved on amazon currently I just remembered wrong but thanks so much for the help guys!

Also not sure how I forgot but I play for our church a lot so I play a lot of worship music although I've never played on coated toms (and I've played at a lot of churches lol) so clears should be fine!

Thanks again!

I agree. G2 clears are great all-around heads. Peace and goodwill.

I'd like to point out that when you hear sounds on record or even in a live setting, it's almost impossible to really tell what kind of heads are being used. I've probably tried all kinds of different heads and head combination and in a live setting to the audience, the audience is happy that they sound like drums. You may experience more resonant ring from the driver's seat, or not, but rest assured that the sound is definitely different by the time audience ears hear them.

But the basic premise is that if you use coated heads, the pitch actually drops a little bit due to the weight of the coating sprayed onto the head. So a coated G2 compared to a clear G2 will sound deeper. Just as a double-ply head will sound deeper (and a little more deader) compared to a single-ply head. And if you experience Evan's Hydraulic heads, those will sound even more dead because they inject a bit of oil between the plies.

So, if you like a drum that's bright and speaks immediately upon impact, go for single ply. A drum that sounds deeper and takes more action to make it react will be a double-ply head. And these differences are very slight. And if you were making recordings, as soon as the drum gets mic'ed up and processed in the console, it will sound different, and can be made to sound very different.

So I would recommend getting what you like. If you play alot and care about your sound, go with regular ol' remo ambassadors on everything, because they sound good, and they're the cheapest to replace - when I was working alot, I'd change heads about once a month.

Back