Big Store Shipping Slackers

lefty2

Platinum Member
I ordered a used kit from Guitar Center 6 days ago, and it's still sitting in the store. ERRRRRRRR. I called them today and they said it would be shipped today, they were waiting on shipping boxes. I figured a big outfit like GC would ship right away. Has anyone else experienced this slacker behavior from a big store? I'm rather shocked, and kind of bummed out that it's not been shipped yet. Or does it make a difference that it's a used kit?

I ordered a used kit from Guitar Center 6 days ago, and it's still sitting in the store. ERRRRRRRR. I called them today and they said it would be shipped today, they were waiting on shipping boxes. I figured a big outfit like GC would ship right away. Has anyone else experienced this slacker behavior from a big store? I'm rather shocked, and kind of bummed out that it's not been shipped yet. Or does it make a difference that it's a used kit?

Slacker behavior? Doubt it, they're prob like they said waiting for boxes. Its gonna work out for you, if it comes damaged you're in a better position (they took 6 days, should be right). Nobody really likes to, want's to pack up a drum kit, sux and boxes (that fit) are a big deal, not always laying around.

Most retail stores I have done business with don't store empty boxes. If they open a set to put it on the floor, chances are those boxes are broken down and put in a recycling bin or dumpster. So waiting to get boxes to ship a drum set does not sound far fetched.

3 yrs. ago I bought a used Yamaha Tour Custom 7 pc. from GC- came in Sound Percussion boxes. So, I guess they have some boxes on hand, sometimes?

Having boxes on-hand is the cost of doing business for any store that offers shipping. It's simple enough to break down boxes received from manufacturers, and store a few in the back room. If there aren't boxes, you go to a local box store and BUY some.

It's a given that when you order something from a business, it's shipped by the following business day at the latest. Not being able to ship something advertised as being shippable, is just poor customer care.

It's hard enough making sales to the people that walk into the store. There's no excuse for alienating a customer who's taken a leap of faith by paying in advance for a used item, especially considering GCs inconsistent condition grading system.

Bermuda

When I bought my Starphonic Bubinga snare, it took them a full 2 weeks before they shipped it. Before that, I bought a Sledgehammer snare and it too took as long to ship. Can't imagine they didn't have a single box to ship a snare in. What ticked me off more than anything was the sledgehammer was just thrown in the box with no packing. Not sure how it arrived unscathed! Mouth breathers all the way!

Last edited:
I must have had incredibly good luck with GC, considering all the bad stories I've heard about them.

I usually mostly buy in person, but the things I've bought from them on line have been well packed and promptly shipped.

I must have had incredibly good luck with GC, considering all the bad stories I've heard about them.

I've ordered one thing ever from them, a used snare in Overland Park, KS shipped to me in L.A. My experience with the drum guy was very good, he sent additional pics, I bought the drum and he shipped it immediately. I'm pretty sure he didn't know me by name, so it wasn't a special favor.

That's how every GC needs to handle sales. There's an endless supply of people who want jobs. There's no excuse for having to hire poor performers.

Bermuda

I've ordered one thing ever from them, a used snare in Overland Park, KS shipped to me in L.A. My experience with the drum guy was very good, he sent additional pics, I bought the drum and he shipped it immediately. I'm pretty sure he didn't know me by name, so it wasn't a special favor.

That's how every GC needs to handle sales. There's an endless supply of people who want jobs. There's no excuse for having to hire poor performers.

Bermuda

Have you no experience with Millennials? They're taking over the workplace. 'Tough to manage'.

Have you no experience with Millennials? They're taking over the workplace. 'Tough to manage'.

Yep. That's my generation for ya! There's some good ones out there, just hard to find them.

I've tried getting a job at GC a few times. Always lost out to the guys that didn't know anything about the gear they were selling. They applied thinking it would be fun after playing guitar for a month. Jokes on them though. I make more with better benefits and hours!

I'm with Bermuda about the store should be prepared to ship things right away that's what they do is sell stuff and ship it. As far as the Personnel at Guitar Centers I talked to 3 different stores about used drum sets. All of them were kind courteous and provided me with the information that I wanted. They sent me pictures to my phone of the damage that was on the drums that was not shown in the pictures on the for sale site. They seem to be upfront and honest with me not trying to hide anything. So all of that has been good every time I've dealt with Guitar Center it's just the shipping that has me puzzled why the wait?

I bought my current main kit used from GC. They were honest about the condition (I knew I'd have to re wrap it). Usually their shipping is really reasonable, but it was over $150 this time.

When they showed up, I found out why. It came in three giant boxes. Only one would fit in my old Navigator, so I had to unpack in the UPS parking lot to fit them in. They were safely packed but the didn't take apart or nest any of it.

I guess my point is it was safely but not expertly packed...

Back