Mics

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I have an Audix D6 and 2x sm57's and lately I've been thinking about getting myself some more mics so that I can record my full kit. I typically play a 4 piece bit might go back to a 6 piece, so I would rather have some head room.

I don't minding buying the pricier stuff if it's worth the money. Can anyone recommend some mics or a set I could purchase to complete my arsenal? Also please tell me which mic goes with which type of drum/cymbal.

Thanks in advance!

I'm looking at the audix d7 pack and the kit includes two condensor mics as overheads, prescribed for cymbals use... I've already got 2 sm57's so I could just get the d5 pack I guess.

If I had a 6-piece setup I'd be using the D2's on the 8 + 10, the D4 on the 12 and since I'd have a spare D6 if I bought this kit I could use one of those on the floor tom.

Just musing here.

I definitely want mics that clip on the rim because I don't want to buy/have a whole new set of mic stands if I don't have to. Feel free to chime in..

we just got the D7 pack at church. It's a sweet mic pack.

If I had an extra D6 I'd probably double mic my kick, one on the batter and one on the reso.

D2's on the rack toms, D4 on the FT, I5 on the snare, condensers overhead and put one of the SM57's on the Hi-Hat. Maybe put the other 57 on the 8" tom?

Not sure how that D4 would sound on a 12" since it's eq'd for the lower tones of a FT

I'm looking at the audix d7 pack and the kit includes two condensor mics as overheads, prescribed for cymbals use... I've already got 2 sm57's so I could just get the d5 pack I guess.

If I had a 6-piece setup I'd be using the D2's on the 8 + 10, the D4 on the 12 and since I'd have a spare D6 if I bought this kit I could use one of those on the floor tom.

Just musing here.

I definitely want mics that clip on the rim because I don't want to buy/have a whole new set of mic stands if I don't have to. Feel free to chime in..

The D7 pack is your best bet. Use the D2's on all of the rack toms, the D4 on the floor tom. The D6 is just a bit too big for a floor tom mic in my opinion (especially hanging off of the Dvice mounts). I think it would get in the way and the pattern is much tighter on the D4 than it is on the D6 (you will get less bleed from the other drums). The D4 was originally designed as a bass drum mic, so it can handle the low frequencies very nicely, while still being just as compact as the D2.

This way you can sell the extra D6, and you then have a fully matching mic set for your drums. Also, you can't ever go wrong with a couple of spare 57's in your mic locker!

I guess I could buy an extra d2, but I did see a clip on YouTube where the guy used a d6 on his floor Tom and it sounded good.

Im no audiophile though. So you'd choose the audix too,

I'm also gonna be needing a mixer..Bo suggested a firepod but I wanted something new.. I looked at a Wharfdale *pro sl824usb, it has it's own inbuilt sound card. Would this be a good choice?

I am running the e604's on my 13'' tom and 16'' floor, D112 on bass drum, sm57 on my snare and I am very pleased with the results....I especially the D112, fantastic thump !!
thinking of making my own sub mic for the bass too

Im Audix on all my drums. D2s on my 3 rack toms, D4s on my 2 FTs and a D6 on my kick. I have an i5 on my snare.

F

Back