Axis e-kit vs Trick laser trigger

Reggae_Mangle

Silver Member
Seems like the Trick laser triggers have not been well-received . They also don't seem to be selling very well, judging by the number of videos I could find on youtube, where pretty much no one was playing them FAST.
Reading some of the threads on this forum, the common complaint was that the footswitch allowed you to register a hit when the beater moved BOTH forward and backward.
Reading more about the system, seems a lot of the critics skipped the fact that you could turn off the double trigger feature. But then again, with everyone so uptight about the competition these days (why do you think no one who listens to metal will buy CDs? Because they all have bands lol), I'm not surprised it was a turn off.
I've seen the same criticism about things like the Sonor Twin Effect pedal and the Duallist stuff, among others, but none of them have revolutionised drumming, so I guess it's back to the drawing board.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Pros and cons of the Axis e-kits versus the Trick system. I thought the Tricks might be more durable, but then again, who says the Axis kit won't last forever if you treat it the right way.
How do they stack up head to head in terms of triggering? I think that's the main thing I'm interested in ascertaining. I'm sure a lot of people on these forums favour the Axis pedals, because users like Derek Roddy and George Kollias use them, but just from a triggering consistency and performance perspective, is either system better than the other?

Found this on the Trick Drums website. Looks like you can get rid of the double trigger thingie and just have a cable connector.
http://www.trickdrums.com/sb1-v2-tether.html

I've broken an ekit hammer before. but they are relatively cheap.. its not the trigger its self, and you can order a few extras to have on hand... it also took several years of playing to break one of them.

I LOVE my axis pedals, but the exits are a beast of their own. they worked amazing for me for a while, but now im back to my ddrum. if your moving your pedals around a ton to different kits they become a pain trying to get the timing right.. (its really not that bad) but im lazy.

also. if your left beater rests on the bass skin. the hammer is sitting on the trigger. causes for some unwanted triggers. (you have to have correct technique for them to work)

other than that they were accurate and didn't require a bassdrum full of pillows which was nice.

Cool and honest review, beyondbetrayal! Thanks a lot!

I WOULD LOVE to try those trick triggers.. just on the downstroke forsure :)

They seem pretty new. not alot of online vids and reviews yet. and after getting the pedal it would run me over $1200. pretty steep for some base drums..

I love my axis but i just acquired a demon drive and it works great too with my ddrum. hits nice and hard. and heel toe might be just as easy if not easier than the axis.

I think YOU should get the trick laser trigger and make me a review :)

easy way to start learning would be a DM5 and a Ddrum trigger and an amp/pa

ive tried some of the cheap ones off ebay that you tape to your drum. the ddrum and rolands are very good.

dm5 is a good module you can get pretty cheap used... i have a td20 electric kit so i use that module. it works alot better but they are note cheap

Haha, I would love to, but I just bought the pedals and the triggers cost about as much as them. It's a crazy marketing strategy and I don't know the reasons behind it. So while they might kick a**, I don't see myself springing for them anytime soon, out of financial responsibility.

And if I do raise the cash, would I be better off spending a little differently and getting an Axis pedal with e-kit? Hence, the original question :)

I like the pedals I have, but I haven't really had the chance to really work with some of the other direct drives. It's interesting that you like the Pearl Demon Drives so much, beyondbetrayal, especially having an Axis pedal in your arsenal.

One of the key concerns I have with external triggers is the set up time on a drum that's not your own at a gig. Ensuring trigger consistency would be really important. Plus, all the time taken to stuff the bass drum, tighten to tension, etc. In-built kick triggers would be really useful in such a situation.

I always use my own drums... but with the ddrum you need to stuff it full of pillows and have the skin very tight.. on someone elses kit it would me double triggering like crazy... so youd need to play with that.. change your module settings... someitmes you get lucky sometimes you don't

ekits just work... but i'm sure the tricks would too.... the price is super high though.... right now my axis are to the side of my kit and im only going to use the demons for 2 weeks to make a final decision.. VERY shocked after about 8 years on the axis....

I would agree on using my own equipment as far as possible. But the way some venues pay these days, besides additional expenses on air luggage, etc, cutting transport and other costs makes a lot of sense.

I'm actually surprised you're digging the Demon Drives after an Axis, having read so much about people preferring their Axis to the Demon Drive for whatever reason. Post a review and some pics, I'm sure it'll make for good reading and confuse people even more when they're shopping for a new pedal!

I plan on make a VS youtube video..

people will hate me... Axis fanboy's especially. or anyone that has been convinced one is better than the other... they both have features I prefer

that being said. Pedals are unique to everyone.. I'd like to try tricks to see how they work as that laser trigger system gets me pretty excited. but i find the Ddrum/roland triggers to be the most accurate.

the ekits and trick triggers are set to the pedals. so if you move your pedal / diff bass drum they could be off timing.... my red ddrum pro trigger on my kick is always 100% on time.

I figured I would hate the demons too.. they are ugly.. but I always go function over form.. id rather it play well than look nice. plus they hit SO much harder than the axis.... smoother too.

That's the part that intrigues me about the Trick triggers. At first I assumed that when you move the beater past a certain point, you break the "laser" and a sound is triggered in your module. But the way it works (and I say this with no freaking clue about whether it works) is that when the beater STOPS moving after moving into the laser area, the sound is triggered.

If all is as advertised, I'm assuming that would eliminate the need to set up the trigger for use on different drums. I know on the Axis e-kits, you have to do some basic setup to ensure that those hammers strike the trigger box at the right time. No idea how long that takes or the intricacies involved, do you have to use a drumkey or screwdriver, etc.

Is the same applicable for Trick? No clue, but on paper it looks damn sick for a triggering system.

I would suggest you DON'T do a VS video simply because it will just agitate a lot of people. No one wants to be told their stuff is second-best. What would be cool is if you do a head-to-head of the pedals, demonstrate the features side-by-side and explain what you like about both. You could conclude saying you like pedal X or Y of course, that what makes these videos interesting to a lot of people, but point out that pedal feel varies from person, your mileage might vary, so on and so forth.

I'd love to watch it! Post a link when the video is done!

Back