Recording question

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Hey guys,

I've got an mbox and pro-tools, which only allows me to use 2 microphones. I can get a pretty decent sound just using 2 but if I wanted to mic my whole kit + guitar/bass amps would I be able to run a mixer into one of the mbox inputs or do I have to start fresh and overhaul my whole system?

If option A is good, could you please recommend a mixer?

I currently have 2 sm57's and an audix d6 kick mic, any mic recommendations would be cool.

If you don't mind mixing everything live down to stereo to record the two tracks into your computer that way, then any mixer would do with enough inputs. But like a live mix, that's the sound you'll have when it gets to the computer. You couldn't affect each individual instrument.

What you need are more inputs. PreSonus, Tascam, and MOTU (among others I think) all make USB interfaces that give you more inputs. I had the PreSonus Firepod that gave me 8 xlr mic inputs, which translated to being able to track 8 inputs at once into my Macintosh. It sounds like you have the software, you just need a new interface to be able to record more tracks at once. Be aware though, now you'll need alot of RAM and a fairly quick processor and a fast hard drive too (7200 RPM would do the trick). When I first did this with the FirePod a few years ago, sometimes my then-new PowerMac G5 dual processor tower couldn't process stuff fast enough, so doing real-time things like EQ or effects while tracking was a real drag.

Thanks Bo.

I'm not really in a position to upgrade my PC but I'll check out those mixers you suggested. But do you think that if I can set the levels/EQ well enough using the mixer before they reach protools it will still sound okay?

I'm happy with GOOD, doesn't have to be GREAT.

Thanks Bo.

I'm not really in a position to upgrade my PC but I'll check out those mixers you suggested. But do you think that if I can set the levels/EQ well enough using the mixer before they reach protools it will still sound okay?

I'm happy with GOOD, doesn't have to be GREAT.

Sure you can do that. If you like what's coming out of the board, you're good. I'm just saying you'll have no control over individual instruments, unless you want to track each one separately.

Back