Which type of drum head is best for playing Metal?

DonDutra333

My kit is a Custom Classic Pro Birch Hybrid 6pc (Off brand, yet very good.. Virgin bass, suspended toms, 100% birch)
Sizes: 10x6 Tom, 12x7 Tom, 14x12 FL Tom, 16x14 FL Tom, 14x5.5 (8-lugged) Snare, 22x18 (8-lugged) Bass

The style I'm playing is Melodic Death Metal. The features I want:
1. Short Sustain
2. Good Attack (punchy)
3. Durability
4. For Toms: Dark/dead sound, but not too dead, some resonance
5. For Snare: High pitch, but not ringy
6. For Bass: Mid-tone-Deep, Very clear (as I can reach BPM's of over 200)
7. Cosmetics: Black color

I am a little OCD, so I'd like for all batter-sided heads to be same color (strange, I know) and as for resonance... I've never changed them from the stock heads.. I'm a noob for considering reso heads, but I'd like to hear any recommendations on some brands for those.

I was considering getting Evans Hydraulic (Black) for the batter side... But I've heard others mentioning that its too dead. May I get your thoughts on these as well?

My kit is a Custom Classic Pro Birch Hybrid 6pc (Off brand, yet very good.. Virgin bass, suspended toms, 100% birch)
Sizes: 10x6 Tom, 12x7 Tom, 14x12 FL Tom, 16x14 FL Tom, 14x5.5 (8-lugged) Snare, 22x18 (8-lugged) Bass

1. Short Sustain
2. Good Attack (punchy)
3. Durability

I am a little OCD, so I'd like for all batter-sided heads to be same color (strange, I know) and as for resonance... I've never changed them from the stock heads.. I'm a noob for considering reso heads, but I'd like to hear any recommendations on some brands for those.

I was considering getting Evans Hydraulic (Black) for the batter side... But I've heard others mentioning that its too dead. May I get your thoughts on these as well?
Check out the Evans Onyx for your toms. These would definitely fit your needs, both sonically and aesthetically. The GMAD or EMAD2 would work well on your kick, possibly with an EQ pad inside as well. If you're really serious about getting a killer snare sound and having a head that can last a long time with aggressive playing, invest in an Evans Hybrid. You won't be disappointed. As for resos, Hazy 300 on the snare, G1 for the toms and an EMAD reso would set you up perfectly.

Check out the Evans Onyx for your toms. These would definitely fit your needs, both sonically and aesthetically. The GMAD or EMAD2 would work well on your kick, possibly with an EQ pad inside as well. If you're really serious about getting a killer snare sound and having a head that can last a long time with aggressive playing, invest in an Evans Hybrid. You won't be disappointed. As for resos, Hazy 300 on the snare, G1 for the toms and an EMAD reso would set you up perfectly.

Hmm.. sounds good, except I'm not familiar with what you called the EQ pad... Also, I've heard the G2 to be better for the resonance side? o_O?

Anyways, thanks a lot, I thought about the Onyx's already, so it's nice to hear another opinion other than just my own.

If you use two ply heads as resos, you will find that you lose the tone that gives you a clear punch.

If you are using two ply heads as batters, you need the sustain from the single ply resos to add body to the sound of the drum.

If you use two ply heads as resos, you will find that you lose the tone that gives you a clear punch.

If you are using two ply heads as batters, you need the sustain from the single ply resos to add body to the sound of the drum.

Oh ok, thanks a lot. lol. I'm a tard :D
As for the EQ pad, are you just referring to something you place inside your bass like a pillow or something to muffle the sound?

The EQ pad is the modern option to the pillow.
I use an Aquarian SK II as a bass batter and an Aquarian ported dampened reso. These heads come as a boxed set.
I have no need for a pillow. These heads already have a dampening system built in.

I use an Aquarian SK II as a bass batter and an Aquarian ported dampened reso. These heads come as a boxed set.
I have no need for a pillow. These heads already have a dampening system built in.

Would you suggest those over the Evans EMAD2's or GMAD's?

I suggest that you experiment until you find the head combination that you like for all of your drums.
You can go to a drum shop and try things out before you buy them.
I have an 8x20 inch bass drum for my pearl Rhythm Traveler kit.
I use an SK I and an un-ported reso on that drum.

I you need Black, then you could also go Remo Ebony Ambassadors, as reso. for your toms. They're probably very close to what you have as stock reso's now, but better quality. For batter, on the toms, Ebony Pinstripe. Rock, hard rock and metal cats have been using Pins over Ambs. for decades. If you want punch, and very little overtone, out of your kick. Ebony Powerstroke 3 on batter and reso. And for the snare ... Black X.

I think I'm gonna try out the Evans Hybrid/Hazy 300 combo for my snare.
As for the toms, I'm still thinking if I should go for the Hydraulics, or the Onyx's...
And as for the bass head, I'm going to keep the stock resonance head (as promotion, to show some support in for such an epic off-brand kit). But the batter side.. I'm still very iffy... I'm going to have to go in store to test each one out..
I can't afford buying new resonance heads for all my toms as of now, so I'll keep those on for awhile until I get enough money. I'm leaning towards the Evans G1's.. I'm going to keep an open eye out for anything better perhaps.

Thats it, Just take your time and explore until you find your sound.

G1's are the standard for reso heads. There are death metal drummers using G2s on toms and also EC2s and such on toms, so it is preference.
If you use an EMAD2, you will not need a pillow. I use the EMAD2 and Onyx reso on my bass and it gives you a great metal punch with no pillow.
As for your snare head-I wouldn't stray from the 300 as a reso. The top is your choice though. The Power Center and Power Center Reverse are great for metal but for death metal, I would run a HD Genera Dry as a top head. It provides really clear blast beats because the head has tiny holes on its sides that cut down on ring. I wouldn't jump right into the Hybrid head though. Try out the heads mentioned about and some others before committing $50 to a head.

this is exactly the reason why i love aquarian so much. i have no need to kill my bass drum more than these heads already do so. perfect sound for me, perfect response with my pedals. i love it

Back when I was shredding metal...

All heads Aquarian:
Tom batters: Studio-X with Power Dot
Tom resonant: Classic Clear Black
Snare batters: Hi-Energy
Snare resonant: Hi-Performance
Bass batters: Impact 2
Bass Resonant: Classic Clear Black (you may want to go with Regulator though)

Still use Aquarians, have been since 1996. Switched to Studio-X Coated with Power Dot...not playing the Slayer type metal these days.

I play alot of Metal as well and i use Aquarians
Performance 2's batter
Classic Clear Reso

Very nice Punch
Short Sustain
2-Ply so Durable

Will be switching to G2's/G1's soon tho!
Cheers

1. Short Sustain
2. Good Attack (punchy)
3. Durability

Evans Hydraulics are the deadest head that you can buy. You will always need to be miked. The classic head for metal is usually the Pinstripe which is fine; these have their place. A Clear Emperor might be what you like better than that! Speed Metal doesn't lend itself to sustain so you may want to opt for the Pinstripes.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw

Drum heads aren't genre specific. You want a certain sound, there's a drum head for it, assuming your drums are right for that.

Most of what I play is squarely in the metal world. However, my heads aren't really what most of the metal world uses. Most of my cymbals are marketed more towards jazz and fusion drummers.

Just sayin.

Back