Best pedal for Heavy Metal

Mr. Durden

Hello,

I'm searching for a double pedal in the middle-range price ($300-$400) to performs Lamb of God music's.
(I haven't the skills to play like Chris Adler... yet, I'm trying to develop the skills on a crap double pedal =/ )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQRww_NVJoQ

I searched in many foruns and sites, and for now, i don't have money to buy the Chris Adler Trick 1-v Pro.

The Pearl demon drive 3002D seems to be the best for my purpose, but the DW 5002ADH seems very good too, and costs $100 less.

Ps.:
This is my first post in this forum =P
AND Sorry my english.
THANKS!

Go to the stores and try them yourself.

That's going to be the ultimate determining factor.

I've seen people play faster will $90 cheapies than I play with $300+ eliminators.

Matter of comfort and perseverance.

Good luck

Yeah, it's not so much the tools as it is the player. You could buy the most expensive pedals and still not be able to play well. Get to a music store and try all the pedals and see which one you like. Style of music has nothing to do with it. Good luck on your quest!

I agree with the replies here, it's the drummer, not the pedal...

Choose one that suits your playing, however, such thing as technique and setting used with a pedal is crucial, even if you buy the same pedal as Chris Adler, it is indeed the practice and dedication to feet technique that will make you reach the skill you're looking for. :))

Plenty of great pedals in the 300 range... No worry, you don't need to pay a fortune. But do check any pedal before actually buying it! I've had pedals with unimpressive cosmetics which felt great when I tried them and other "fancy" pedals which after a few seconds made me turn away from them... You can't judge from hype or the price tag.

I've found the Mapex Falcon, the Sonor (2xx Euros) and the 300-ish Yamaha double pedals quite good. And as said, I was disappointed by some pedals double in price.

PS: My dw 2002 double pedal (149 Euros) can go up to 240 bpm (singles) - or more (doubles). Take a better drummer and they can do faster than that, hehe. Forget about pedal hype, get a 'good' pedal (= not crappy, and one which fits your feet perfectly), and the rest is... you guessed it, practice. First I thought this pedal would be just for my beginner phase, and upgraded quickly. I've changed my mind - even cheap pedals can do about anything. Also many players don't like heavy beaters (like those on my dw 2002 pedal). Now I think this is even a good thing - the harder you practice the easier it'll be with lighter beaters and "better" pedals.

Thanks!

But unfortunately, here, where i live doesn't have stores with this pedals =/
I'll import it from eBay.

And this technic that Chris Adler shows in the video, seems to need a Direct drive and a longboard to perform.

The DW 5002ADH it's more atractive to me, but doesn't have the direct drive.

I wonder to know if the direct drive's have much diference than the chain drive.

I've checked the video... Ah, this one - I've seen it in the past already.

Just to clear up: This can be done with ANY pedal, rest assured. Longboards (and it doesn't have to be an Axis for that matter) might make this a bit easier as you have more leverage effect and can place your foot further back on the footplate. But basically - I just copied his foot pattern on my beginner pedal - it works on any pedal. Just practice (look up heel toe, toe toe if you aren't familiar with those techniques yet).

Direct drives do have a different playing feel. When I'll upgrade at some time it will be a direct drive for sure, I find this design very attractive. Whether long or short board... not too important IMO.

Thanks!

But unfortunately, here, where i live doesn't have stores with this pedals =/
I'll import it from eBay.

And this technic that Chris Adler shows in the video, seems to need a Direct drive and a longboard to perform.

The DW 5002ADH it's more atractive to me, but doesn't have the direct drive.

I wonder to know if the direct drive's have much diference than the chain drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSGkxNpP8aU

Just goes to show you can play with any kind of petal...if you're awesome like Gene. I have DW 5000s and Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drives. I find the deciding factor on which one is "faster", is how I tune the batter head on my bass drum. It's all feel man.

There's a pedal that has many options as standard and can be fitted with direct drive unit. I commented on this pedal the other day in another thread, so I just do a "copy and paste" for you, it might be of some interest for you. :)

"Arky's suggestion of the Mapex Falcon is good one. Despite the comments regarding quality issues, which somehow surprise me, it is a pedal that's worthy of attention.

I used the same pedal for almost 30 years, when it was time to change, I had to face the dilema of choosing a new pedal, but which one? The market has so many offering, which cam to choose? what drive system to choose? regular footboard or longboard? what adjustement do I really need? so many questions to ask ourselves before making a choice, it can take a long time.

So with this in mind, I considered the Falcon, as this brilliantly designed pedal with no quality issue whatsover, has got the features of many pedals on the market all thrown into one single pedal design.

It has 2 differents cams for an even or accelerated course of the beater, 2 drive modes, chain or felt (strap), indepedent adjustments of the fooboard angle and beater angle, a reversible beater in which you insert interchangable weights (10g or 20g or none at all) and can fitted with a direct drive sytem (at extra cost, but not very expensive). Plus other useful extras.

I did purchase the Falcon, and I tried all the options (exept the direct drive unit) and they all work really well and you definitely feel the differences with each option, within a few days I was able to choose the best option for my playing. It is the best investment I've done on an accessory for years.

I recomand this pedal to anyone who are unsure about which type to choose, it has many type of pedals with it's own and unique design features."

Link to Falcon pedals: http://www.falconpedal.com/

I started on DW 7000's and moved up to the 9000's and thought they were the end all for me. I wanted to try longboards so I bought Speed Cobras and I felt their quality was a little lacking. I then bought the Falcons and fell in love. They are easily adjustable and have a solid feel. I have the direct drive attachments and they are great. I recently bought Axis A longboards and am still getting use to them. If I were to compare the two, I would say the Axis has a much lighter feel and take a bit to get to use to. I stiil getting use to that light feel so I'm having a hard time with speed transitions. The Falcon is equally as sensitive but just a little bit heavier feeling and a bit easier to control. To me, the Falcon is the best bang for the buck if you want a direct drive and should be a little bit easier to transition from chain to direct drive.

The most tried and true pedals out there for metal guys are the Iron Cobras. Have proven over many years to be very solid and reliable. If you are going to be working your pedals hard, I would definately recommend them over DW.

You dont have to sell your kidney to get direct drive. The Yamahas are under 400 and are excellent, the Mapex Raptor is under $250. Great value.

I think that Iron Speed Cobras but they are bit over your price range; 450 euros... I think that they are the best pedals for metal but if you want a pedal of range 300-400 bucks then you should go for those earlier mentioned Mapex Falcon or Eliminators.

the best i've used? trick pro-1v, can you afford one? nope!

I agree that its the drummer and not the pedal but you buy cheap you get cheap for the most part. But a crappy pedal will limit you and some will just not last.

The drummer right now that is blowing my mind with speed and control is John Longstreth from Origin. His speed and control with singles and doubles is insane.

Gene Hoglan is well known for stating to him that he can play on any pedal and pretty much does.

I think the only time you have to worry about some of the crazy advanced pedals is when you reach that insane John Longstreth level that just about all of us will not obtain.

Back