Any photographers here using and Ipad or similar device?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Looking at something much lighter than a 15" laptop to travel with for storing/viewing photos. Would also need it for watching &listening to videos online. Any thoughts?

Looking at something much lighter than a 15" laptop to travel with for storing/viewing photos. Would also need it for watching &listening to videos online. Any thoughts?

I'm not a photographer. I can see a great use case for an iPad in these situations here, particularly the new high-resolution iPad. Depending on what you need to do you have several choice. Do you want one with 3G connectivity so you can upload your pictures to a server on the go? Or do you strictly need one for use in the field and then uploading them to a home computer once you have arrived at home?

There is definitely a use case. You would have to buy the separate 'camera connection kit' as well as the iPad but I've certainly heard of photographers using them.

Thanks for the replies guys. I may eventually go with an Android based tablet for travel with 3g (4g?) feature and a large memory to store and email photos. Plus watching videos and web browsing.

I'm sick of carrying around a 5lb. laptop, however the keyboard and DVD drive will be miseed.
Thanks again.

Android 4.1 looks quite good but the prices for an Android tablet are roughly the same prices as an iPad. Personally, I can't see a compelling reason to buy an Android tablet over the iPad and I doubt if any of the current Android offerings have the high-density display that is on the New iPad. To me, that would be the clincher if you're doing photography.

Depending on the size of the photos, using an iPhone as a camera and the iPad as storage/ playback device it will hold decent amount of photos. I also have a 500 GB solid state backup by Seagate, that I store photos on as to not over burden the the iPad.

Oh I wasn't even aware I could use an external hard drive with an Apple product. Duh...
The I-pad screen is quite nice for photos I have to agree. The price though is tough at this time. Maybe when a 7" version arrives I'll look at that.
The new drums are the prioriy at this time financially, but I'll keep looking at the tablets in the near future. Thanks for the help guys.

The guy you need here is Bo Eder. He is a pro photographer and surely has given thought to this one before.

However, there are portable storage devices for photographers, but they are not cheap.

Well I'm looking at them now for a purchase around Christmas. There's supposed to be some new models released in November, so the current ones may go down in price. We'll see. I think I need one with both wi-fi and 4g. But that adds a service provider contract every month I think.

Sorry man,but i'm still an old school 35 mm film guy,...Canon A-1,and Nikon M-3,in manual mode of course.You can even use the Nikon when the battery dies,try that with a digital camera.:)

Steve B

I think I would have to see an example of Photoshop or some other photo editing software app in operation before I could make a decision on an iPad or other tablet. It would be pretty great to tour with, tho, gotta admit that. But I tend to save all my photos until the tour's over and I can sit down at the Tower and work on them in wife-annoying detail.
I'd likely go with an iPad [I have a Mac Tower already] for the convenience, and be happy with the bonus of occasionally doing mobile editing if needed.

Back