The Who 50 years Tour

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
The Who is making plans to wrap up their road career.

Guitarist Pete Townshend tells the UK's "Evening Standard" that the band intends to mark their 50th anniversary in 2015 with a world tour, which will also be their final trek.

Townshend explains that there are "still plenty of places" the group hasn't ever performed. He adds that he'd like to go to Eastern Europe and other locations where fans haven't had the chance to see the group "play all the old hits."

The Who formed in 1964. Their debut album, My Generation, was released in the UK in December 1965.

Read more: http://www.schnittshow.com/articles...o-retire-from-touring-11771300/#ixzz2im2KUGzZ

I don't know, without Keith and now John the who have not been "The Who" since 1978. I mean really Kenny Jones? great with Small Faces/Faces, with the who not so much. Simon Phillips one of my personal favorites, phenomenal technician but too "stiff" for the who (anyone know why has he's been scrubbed from from the history of the band?0. Now we have Zak Starkey whom I feel has been the the best choice for the band, just loose enough but not sloppy. None the less it still ain't "The Who" to me.
Rant over

While still enjoy them,I did see the real deal back in the 60's and early 70's at various NY venues like the Fillmore East and Forest Hills Tennis Stadium.I got to witness first hand Moon the Loon's endless energy and Daltry hitting all the notes,and their excellent harmonies,which that never really got credit for.There was no auto tune back then.

The first time I saw them..well,think "Live at Leeds" but with the great acoustics and smaller size of the Fillmore East,where you got a contact high,if you wanted it or not.

The last time I saw them it was the "Concert for NY" at the Garden,after 9/11,while in my class A uniform.That was some night.Townsend LOVES NY,and it showed that evening.

Steve B

The who died with Moon. You can replace drummers but he was more than that to the band. He kept them in the news even when they weren't playing with his offstage antics. They should have called it quits like Zep.

If this was the lineup, I'd be right in the front row! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_40c4fj0j8

WOW....that was amazing.Both of us are big time Simon Phillips fans Andy..

The first time I heard him with the Who,was on a simulcast on WNEW FM in NY,in 1989 during the "Tommy" 20th anniversary reunion tour.They were at the Radio City Music Hall in NY City.

I thought Simons playing was just super and his interpretation of Moonies drumming parts,paid homage to the originals,without playing it note for note.

That man also knows how to tune drums,so they cut and project and still sound musical.

Thanks for posting,cheers.:)

Steve B

The who died with Moon. You can replace drummers but he was more than that to the band. He kept them in the news even when they weren't playing with his offstage antics. They should have called it quits like Zep.

True. But I'm glad they didn't. That 9/11 concert performance with Starkey on drums gave me goosebumps. Those old tunes still rock!

I love The Who. To me, they are THE most important rock band in history.

I never get tired of them. Heck, I even love the Kenny Jones era.

I would hope to think "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia" are still listened to a 100 years from now.

That said, they should have retired by now. Rodger's voice is shot. Pete doesn't have much left. I saw them a few years ago, and while I was very entertained, the show was almost more about the backing band. It's just sad to see.

I can't explain... I think is love... for The Who!

The Who need to just stop touring and stop making music. It's over. It's been over for a long time.

After reading Pete's autobiography, I have even less respect for him. What an dick.

I used to be mad on the Who for many years.

I lost a lot of my enthusiasm for them when Townshend got into trouble for noncing around the internet and I struggle to watch them now if I'm being honest, it spooks me a little too much.

Quadrophenia though...one of the best albums I've heard in my life.

Back