Started smoking again!!!

drumkat

After a year of not smoking....alas I have returned to the habit!

I feel dreadful emotionally...

I tried so hard but oh well, maybe I will try again another time

But after a year without a single cigarette I did NOT feel better or healthier

Some smokes are really cheap so I didnt notice the savings made

I guess its just when you consider your children

That should be reason enough to give up

Auntie Madge is very disappointed in you :(

I think I haven't expressed my view on smoking on this forum yet...

To sum it up: It's among the absolute dumbest things you can do on this planet unless somebody is pointing a loaded weapon at you and forcing you to smoke.

STOP IT! Immediately. What a no-brainer.

Congrats for staying abstinent for quite some time! My father kept quitting for years - quit for months, then picked it up again. He's 'clean' for good now.

I never smoked except for 1 time when I tried a cigarette - don't laugh - I was encouraged to do so by my father, I was under 10 years of age at that time. I had to cough like a madman - that lesson was enough.

You don't want to waste your money, throwing it into the mouth of a greedy industry, and - most importantly - contribute to ruining your health, do you?
PAYING money to KILL yourself in small increments - just say 'no'. (*raising my middle finger towards the tobacco industry*)

Your words have actually reached me Arky

Very rare that I take notice of someones words about smoking

I just expressed my view on smoking.
Might have misinterpreted your individual situation - sorry.

Drumkat, don't beat yourself up about it. Sometimes it's not the right time. Well done for managing for a year.

I'm a smoker. I know it's a bad idea - believe me. My mother was a smoking cessation counsellor. One of the points she used to make was that for some people it just wasn't the right time or they would slip because of life situations. I know right now that I couldn't quit - I just don't want to and couldn't even if I did want to.

So well done for managing for a year. Well done for admitting that you're upset at the moment. Maybe in time you'll manage again.

I just expressed my view on smoking.
Might have misinterpreted your individual situation - sorry.

Arky, you have NO need to apologise

I thank you for your honesty

If I didn't want to hear both sides of opinions, I never would have posted

DKat I started and stopped about ten times before I stopped for good. That was about 10 years ago and for me I definitely felt better. Like Duncan said though, it might not be time, but I would have to ask what made you start again? Was there a stressful event that caused this or just oh well. In order to stop smoking you have to stop buying. Try that as the first step.

DKat I started and stopped about ten times before I stopped for good. That was about 10 years ago and for me I definitely felt better. Like Duncan said though, it might not be time, but I would have to ask what made you start again? Was there a stressful event that caused this or just oh well. In order to stop smoking you have to stop buying. Try that as the first step.

Hey boss

I have NO idea why I started smoking again

I think there was the urge all the time but I had the ability to resist

I am doing more night shift at work now

it is the drive home in the morning that REALLY makes me want to smoke

Stop being weak. Stop smoking. If you think playing drums is tough try doing it strapped to an o2 tank.

I was 3 packs a day at two points in my life so don't say "You don't understand, man!"...um, yeah, I do.

Stop being weak. Stop smoking. If you think playing drums is tough try doing it strapped to an o2 tank.

I was 3 packs a day at two points in my life so don't say "You don't understand, man!"...um, yeah, I do.

3 PACKS A DAY!

Holy moly, that is serious dude!

I am weak...no doubt about that!

Hats off to you to kick such a serious habit....So BillRay, how did you quit?

Did you just do it in one go or did it take a few times?

I feel for you, I know it must be extremely difficult the way people describe trying to quit. The reason I never started smoking is, amazingly, the same reason I never started stabbing my eyballs with a fork.

Please stop smoking.

I never smoked and I have been a chronic asthmatic my entire life. Many trips to the ER late at night having trouble breathing. Always have an inhaler nearby. However, I've noticed something in recent years. When I was younger there were virtually no restrictions on smoking anywhere. Even though my parents did not smoke, we had plenty of ashtrays and lighters in the house. Of course, that has changed in recent decades. Now, where I live, smoking is banned almost everywhere. I can live my entire life with no exposure to smoke if I want, and I do. Not only have I not been to an ER for asthma in almost 20 years, but I also barely use my inhaler. In recent years, they tend to expire rather than get used up.

You have my sympathy regarding your addiction. I have seen many people close to me struggle greatly with it, until they died from it. Of course, I have seen some successfully quit. Please stop, for yourself and for those around you.

One final story: I used to ride the train to work. At that time, smoking was banned on the trains, but nowhere else. Once we pulled in to the station downtown (amidst about 16 trains), people getting off would light up instantly. It was like running a gauntlet of smoke to get out of the station and get to work. Eventually, smoking was banned in the station, including the outdoor areas where the trains pulled up. As soon as that happened, when I got off the train, I was overwhelmed by the stench of diesel fumes. Remember, there were about 16 trains. The lesson? Prior to this time, the cigarette smoke was so thick, you could not smell the fumes from 16 diesel locomotives. I think many smokers don't realize how much they 'stink'.

My condolences to you for succumbing and my sympathy to you for engaging in the hardest vice there is to quit. I abhor tobacco, I hate the tobacco companies even worse, and I feel for the people that cigarettes enslave. Dirtiest most disgusting habit I can think of. There's not one good thing about it.

Lol at bud7h4's comment:

The reason I never started smoking is, amazingly, the same reason I never started stabbing my eyballs with a fork.

Pretty friggin funny man.

I'm happy to say I've never given a penny to Big Tobacco. F them for making massive profits at the expense of our health.

Drumkat, sorry to hear about this. Addiction is something I have not experienced, and I don't know where you are coming from. I will say, I know just as many people who have lost their lives due to complications from smoking, as I know who claim to be nearly unaffected from smoking. This is a decision that only you can try to make for yourself. My only personal complaint is that I can't really stand the smell of smokers. I would of course encourage you to quit, but I would never tell you what you should or should not put into your body. You are not weak for being addicted/smoking, that kind of attitude will only hurt you even more.

I knew a guy that smoked a long time, and then succeeded in quitting. 5 years after stopping, the guy developed lung cancer and died from it. You can't put a price on the lost life at the hands of tobacco.

I always hated the smell of it so I never started. I tried it of course, but no, yuck. My 22 YO son used to smoke, much to my horror, but recently substituted one of those devices where you can buy your own oil and just huff nicotine vapor and flavoring. It does seem to be the lesser of the 2 evils, but nicotine is a poison all by itself. I don't trust the flavorings either, they can't be good for you. So it's a lateral move, those smoking devices. My son has one that looks like a "chamber" pot pipe from the 70's, only straight. In a way, those things, and e cigs, are worse, because people do them in public and I'm sorry but they do have a sickly odor about them. And people around them are still inhaling 2nd hand smoke.

But then you get the people who smoke well into their 80's.

Some people die from it, some don't. Go figure.

I smoked for years,and finally ,I gave it up,after quitting 3 times.I just started cutting down,the amount of cigs I permitted my self to smoke on a given day.I also left the rest of the pack in the car.When i did buy smokes,I'd buy the cheapest ,most vile tasting stuff I could find.

I'd take a few drags,and but the cigarette out.When it was time to smoke again,say after two hours,I'd light up the same vile tasting cigarette,that I put out an hour ago,and so on and so on.

You also have to realize what your triggers are.Getting in to the car,after a meal,with a beer,when your upset,after play your drums.ect.Smokers ALL have triggers.Identify them,and take action,like no smoking in the car.No smoking in the house.No smoking after a meal .No smoking with a cup of tea/coffee.

Climb a few sets of stairs,and when you're breathing really hard,lite up and inhale deeply.You'll cough out one of your lungs.

I have COPD,from working at ground zero on and after 9/11.My breathing isn't terrible,but gets worse in certain weather,like high heat and humidity.

If you want to know what how that feels,take a deep breath,....now try to take another one.Or take a coctail straw,like the one you get in a pub,pinch your nose closed,and try to breathe through the straw,while you're playing your drums.No...I'm not kidding.

Make it as vile and inconvienient as possibe,to continue smoking,till it's no longer a pleasureable,and relaxing thing to do.Be tough on your self,and you'll thank yourself later,when you can enjoy your grandkids....and enjoy playing drums with getting completely out of breath.

Steve B

Wow Steve powerful post man. Tragic story about the COPD. And the straw thing made me freak out imagining it.

Steve, a strong post.

You guys are beautiful

Thanks guys.I too .would just love it if the US banned tobaco products,and smoking.The American pharmacy chain of CVS,is banning the sale of tobaoo products in ALL of their stores.Other chains like Wallgreens,which also owns other chains like Duane Reid,are also,strongly considering the same move.

This ban,has tremendous public support,so it's likely to happen,in other corporate chains,as CVS sales,have slready gone up,in a show of support.They know the'll lose money,on loss of tobacco sales,but,the'll make it up in other areas.

NY City,is considering a ban on smoking in public.You already can't snoke in buildings,restaurants,bars and public parks...why not go all the way.

Drumkat...do all you can to fight this addiction.It will be so worth it in the long run.

Steve B

Back