Bad Head? Has This Happened to You?

NC68

Recently either had a string of bad luck or something else is going on. I purchased several heads from different manufacturers to see if switching to another head type or manufacturer would produce a more desirable tom sound. First out of the box was an Evans coated G2. The second was an Aquarian clear super 2. The problem with both heads is when the head in tensioned even to about a medium head tension there exists a wrinkle near the bearing edge of the head. This only disappears if I cranked the head up pretty high. At that tension the wrinkle is gone but the desired tone is way too high. The head is about what a snare drum would be tensioned to at that point.

First thought is well maybe my bearing edge is not making the same amount of contact on the head. I took the batter head off the drum and placed the drum upside down on the bearing edge on a piece of thick glass. Taking a piece of paper and trying to slide the corner tip between the bearing edge and the glass showed that the edge was making uniform contact. I could not get the paper to slide between the edge and the glass at any point of the bearing edge.

Next step was to re-tune the head and mark the head and the rim where the winkle was occurring. Then I rotated the mark on the head to the opposite side of the drum and rotated the rim to another area of the drum away from where the wrinkle originally occurred. After tuning to medium tension the wrinkle followed the mark on the head. This seems to indicate that its not the drum or the rim that's the cause of this loose spot on the head.

Both the Evans and the Aquarian heads had this problem. This was on a 16" floor tom if that matters. It seems this has not been an issue on smaller toms. Having previously used Remo Ambassadors and Emperors I never seemed to have this issue. Do you think I just got some bad heads or am I overlooking something else here. (sorry for the long post!)

BTW - the both heads with the problem fit nicely onto the drum and the rim fit the head with no binding.

Last edited:
Recently either had a string of bad luck or something else is going on. I purchased several heads from different manufacturers to see if switching to another head type or manufacturer would produce a more desirable tom sound. First out of the box was an Evans coated G2. The second was an Aquarian clear super 2. The problem with both heads is when the head in tensioned even to about a medium head tension there exists a wrinkle near the bearing edge of the head. This only disappears if I cranked the head up pretty high. At that tension the wrinkle is gone but the desired tone is way too high. The head is about what a snare drum would be tensioned to at that point.

First thought is well maybe my bearing edge is not making the same amount of contact on the head. I took the batter head off the drum and placed the drum upside down on the bearing edge on a piece of thick glass. Taking a piece of paper and trying to slide the corner tip between the bearing edge and the glass showed that the edge was making uniform contact. I could not get the paper to slide between the edge and the glass at any point of the bearing edge.

Next step was to re-tune the head and mark the head and the rim where the winkle was occurring. Then I rotated the mark on the head to the opposite side of the drum and rotated the rim to another area of the drum away from where the wrinkle originally occurred. After tuning to medium tension the wrinkle followed the mark on the head. This seems to indicate that its not the drum or the rim that's the cause of this loose spot on the head.

Both the Evans and the Aquarian heads had this problem. This was on a 16" floor tom if that matters. It seems this has not been an issue on smaller toms. Having previously used Remo Ambassadors and Emperors I never seemed to have this issue. Do you think I just got some bad heads or am I overlooking something else here. (sorry for the long post!)

BTW - the both heads with the problem fit nicely onto the drum and the rim fit the head with no binding.

My first question is.... Is it a DDrum. I have the same problem on my Dios...

No - not a DDrum, (read the post about the bad DDrum kit).

I think I just got a couple of bad heads. Thanks for asking though.

Definitely check the bearing edge first. Also, an untrue counter-hoop can cause wrinkles that are very difficult to get rid of. If both seem to be in perfect condition, let me know and I'll send you another head.

Best of luck!

No offense meant, but - are you bringing the heads up to tension in small increments, moving from one lug to the opposite lug?

Definitely check the bearing edge first. Also, an untrue counter-hoop can cause wrinkles that are very difficult to get rid of. If both seem to be in perfect condition, let me know and I'll send you another head.

Best of luck!

Please see my original post. I checked the bearing edge and it was even. No dips or inconsistencies. When the head was rotated the small wrinkle followed the head - it did not stay on the same location of the drum which tells me its the head and not the drum.

No offense meant, but - are you bringing the heads up to tension in small increments, moving from one lug to the opposite lug?

No offense taken. I usually finger tight all of the lugs then use the 2 key method in 1/2 turn increments. The issue, especially with the Aquarian head more so than the Evans head is the wrinkled area is about the size of a quarter or pound coin. The head was fairly tight on either side of the wrinkled spot. Never had this issue with the Remo heads I used so maybe I'll go back to them.

If you ever solve the mystery, please post back. Definitely an interesting case.

For whatever it is worth: I use Evans heads, and I have never had a problem with any.

Shoot off an email to [email protected] with the information about your issue and we'll get you taken care of. We stand behind our products 100% and want to make sure you guys are completely satisfied.

Thanks for your patience!

I don't think it's the drums if you had no problems with the Remo's...

I had the exact same issue with a 10" EC2 clear. This is the FIRST bad head I ever seen from Evans so it really threw me for a loop. A 2" wrinkle would not tighten up. Moved the head 90 degrees and the wrinkle was in the same spot on the head. Pulled EC2 from my second kit and put it on, perfect no problem. Exchanged for new head and it was nails.

Been playing Evans for over 20 years so I would say that is an EXCELLENT track record. Not to mention all the Evans heads I've put on other drumsets over the years.

Same problem with the Aquarian Super2 clear. No problem with my 10 and 12 but my 14 is tuned medium and there are wrinkles at 2 lugs, doesn't affect the sound but just thought I'ld mention it. If Roy Burns from Aquarian sends me a new 14" I would happily accept it.

Same problem with the Aquarian Super2 clear. No problem with my 10 and 12 but my 14 is tuned medium and there are wrinkles at 2 lugs, doesn't affect the sound but just thought I'ld mention it. If Roy Burns from Aquarian sends me a new 14" I would happily accept it.

That's the kind of service you'll find with Evans ;-)

I'm way too mature to have laughed like Beavis & Butthead when I read the title of this thread. WAY too mature.

I'm way too mature to have laughed like Beavis & Butthead when I read the title of this thread. WAY too mature.

LOL!!! I didn't even notice that.

Back