Question About double bass pedals

Ok, I play heavy metal/ gringcore which obviously requires fast double bass. The pedals I am using now are a terrible, offbrand piece of junk. I have been researching pedals and have come to a conclusion in which i need some help. I have narrowed my choices down to the Iron Cobra Rolling Glide, or the DW9000. Both of these pedals are in my budget, so price is not a problem. But I have a question on quality. I have read articles say that the IC is the best, and ive also read articles that say the IC is of a lesser quality than the DW9000, and vice versa. It would be great if I could get some honest opions or facts on these two pedals. I play very very fast double bass and I NEED the best of the best.

Thanks

Honestly you can't go wrong with either one. You can read articles all day and some will have a bias towards one brand or another. The 9000 is very customizable which is nice and it's built like a tank! Also comes with the strap option so you can switch from the chain to the strap drive if you want. I own the single version of it and really like it and switched it to the strap drive just to see how it felt and I'm really digging the feel of the strap. It's honestly just a matter of which one feels best to your feet and playing style. In that price range you may also want to check out Axis pedals. Seems to be a very popular one amongst guys who play fast double bass. They are a direct drive, very smooth and light.

They are both top of the line in durability. It all comes down to feel. Play both and purchase the one that feels best to YOU. Also you can check out dw 5000.

Tama and DW's pedals are based off the same original design, which was that of a brand called Camco. Years back, Tama and DW jointly purchased Camco, and shared the design of the pedal. So the Iron Cobra and the 9000 are pretty much the same in terms of basics, but overall, the Iron Cobra is more adjustable (the 9000 doesn't even have independent beater adjustment??), it is a bit lighter, and has better response due to the Cobra Coil (which allows you to have fast rebound without tightening your springs all the way.

Not even to mention that the Iron Cobras are $200+ cheaper than the 9000s. I'd say Iron Cobras, hands down.

For the money, I would take the IC's. However, if they were both the same price I would take the 9002's. I have problems with the IC's and fast single strokes. Something about the way they rebound throws off the syncing of my right and left feet, preventing me from going fast. I don't have this problem on any other pedal.

Tama and DW's pedals are based off the same original design, which was that of a brand called Camco. Years back, Tama and DW jointly purchased Camco, and shared the design of the pedal. So the Iron Cobra and the 9000 are pretty much the same in terms of basics, but overall, the Iron Cobra is more adjustable (the 9000 doesn't even have independent beater adjustment??), it is a bit lighter, and has better response due to the Cobra Coil (which allows you to have fast rebound without tightening your springs all the way.

Not even to mention that the Iron Cobras are $200+ cheaper than the 9000s. I'd say Iron Cobras, hands down.

This is also true. The 5000 was dw's flagship model for double pedals.

This is why the OP needs to test for himself, to me the cobra's felt heavier

I find that comment a little misleading because of one feature, you could then say the IC isn't as adjustable as the 9000 since the 9000 has in infinitely adjustable cam

Ok, I play heavy metal/ gringcore which obviously requires fast double bass. The pedals I am using now are a terrible, offbrand piece of junk. I have been researching pedals and have come to a conclusion in which i need some help. I have narrowed my choices down to the Iron Cobra Rolling Glide, or the DW9000. Both of these pedals are in my budget, so price is not a problem. But I have a question on quality. I have read articles say that the IC is the best, and ive also read articles that say the IC is of a lesser quality than the DW9000, and vice versa. It would be great if I could get some honest opions or facts on these two pedals. I play very very fast double bass and I NEED the best of the best.

Thanks

Before i switched from my Iron Cobra to my Sleishman i was hitting almost 210 with it although not for a full minute as my endurance wasn't built up that well. The Iron Cobra is infinitely adjustable and more so than the 9002 i believe and is a lot cheaper too. However if you are wanting to play fast, don't get the rolling glides. I'm surprised more people haven't pointed this out, nearly everyone i have spoken to who has the rolling glides has been very unsatisfied with them and has switched to the Power Glide models. If you have heard that you can't get speed with the power glide models that is a total joke. Seriously i would really recommend trying them out and you'll probably sway more towards the power glides, there is no point in playing fast if you have no power. The IC's are built like a brick s**t house too so you should have no problems with quality issues or breakages. I had mine for almost 3 years and never had one fault with them.

I just thought i should also point out that the Power Glides now come with the cobra coil too.

This is why the OP needs to test for himself, to me the cobra's felt heavier

I find that comment a little misleading because of one feature, you could then say the IC isn't as adjustable as the 9000 since the 9000 has in infinitely adjustable cam

Oh, the infinitely adjustable cam is useful, no doubt. But personally I find beater angle adjustment more important, and its unfortunate that DW sacrificed it on the 9000 for the huuuge cam.

Now that you mention it, if you think about the physics of it, the Power Glide will go faster. I just thought that the offset cam would give inconsistent strokes if i was trying to pedal fast... I will definently look into the Power Glides instead of the Rolling Glides. And I also heard that the DW 9000s foot boards are weaker than the ICs. This guy sent me some pics of a 9000 that he had broken the foot plate in half!.....Was this just because he was playing way too hard, or is it a fault of DW? And I have also heard that the ICs are not a smooth as the 9000s and that the feel "heavy"

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, if you think about the physics of it, the Power Glide will go faster. I just thought that the offset cam would give inconsistent strokes if i was trying to pedal fast... I will definently look into the Power Glides instead of the Rolling Glides. And I also heard that the DW 9000s foot boards are weaker than the ICs. This guy sent me some pics of a 9000 that he had broken the foot plate in half!.....Was this just because he was playing way too hard, or is it a fault of DW? And I have also heard that the ICs are not a smooth as the 9000s and that the feel "heavy"

As far as the DW pedal boards I've played DW pedals for 20+ years and have NEVER broken a footboard! You have to give it some heavy abuse if you break it. Those pedal boards are pretty stout. now that's not to say that DW or any other pedal board can't break. It's a man made object and anything man made CAN fail, just the reality of it.

As far as feel it's really a personal preference. The 9000 is butter smooth! I tried the IC's and too me they did feel heavy but that's just me. You might feel differently when you play them. I'd seriously go to a shop and try both. I adjusted allot on the 9000 to customize it to my playing style which I really like. Not that there was anything wrong with it out of the box but I decided I wanted to see what the adjustment would do for me and it's been a good thing.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either one. You can read articles all day and some will have a bias towards one brand or another. The 9000 is very customizable which is nice and it's built like a tank! Also comes with the strap option so you can switch from the chain to the strap drive if you want. I own the single version of it and really like it and switched it to the strap drive just to see how it felt and I'm really digging the feel of the strap. It's honestly just a matter of which one feels best to your feet and playing style. In that price range you may also want to check out Axis pedals. Seems to be a very popular one amongst guys who play fast double bass. They are a direct drive, very smooth and light.

Agreed, both are top-of-the-line. If you break these, you can break anything.

I cant seem to find much info on axis pedals..I went to the website, but i couldnt find a price. I REALY like the idea of a direct drive pedal. I have never realy heard of any bands that use it. According to some youtube vidios, they look very fast and responsive

I cant seem to find much info on axis pedals..I went to the website, but i couldnt find a price. I REALY like the idea of a direct drive pedal. I have never realy heard of any bands that use it. According to some youtube vidios, they look very fast and responsive

Axis, Trick and yamaha flying dragon direct drive. All 3 use a direct drive system. If you want a price check musiciansfriend or any miriad of online websites.

I really appreciate everyones help. i am really starting to lean towards the Axis pedals. I am going to check out some more direct drive pedals such as the Pearl Demon Drive. I think direct dive pedals are what I am going to get

The only negative thing I have heard about Axis pedals is that they dont have a lot of power. Would it be possible to put a heavier beater on it? Also, have any of yall played the Pearl Demon Drives, I just recently found out about them. From what i have heard, it sounds like a great pedal. I am goin to GC to play some next week.

With weight comes resistance that you have to overcome to get speed. Just keep that in mind. Mic your bass and you won't have to worry about "power"

Ok I went to GC and played the Iron Cobra, Demon Drive , and the DW 9000. The IC was ok but is didnt have the feel I was looking for. The Demon Drive felt great but I had trouble trying to adjust to the response of it. BUT, I played the 9000s that were set up on a pearl kit. I absolutely fell in love with them. I have never played any high quality pedals before, and I loved them all, but I think im going to go with the 9000s.

The only negative thing I have heard about Axis pedals is that they dont have a lot of power. Would it be possible to put a heavier beater on it? Also, have any of yall played the Pearl Demon Drives, I just recently found out about them. From what i have heard, it sounds like a great pedal. I am goin to GC to play some next week.

Well i can tell you now, that is wrong from whoever you have heard that off. And i shouldn't worry about changing to a heavier beater, the sonic hammers are possibly the heaviest beaters in the business. But hey if you like the 9000s that is cool man, it's great you've found something you like.

Back