DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Playing (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Drum cover with Yamaha PHX (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139456)

kaide 11-17-2017 04:04 PM

Drum cover with Yamaha PHX

I just bought this used Yamaha PHX kit and wanted to test it with studio miking. I read many threads from this forum about PHX and had those for testdrive over a month. After changing new heads it really started to sound good...so here's Charlie Puth - How Long cover with Yamaha PHX and Longo solid cherry snare. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh289pPN2vo

GruntersDad 11-17-2017 06:11 PM

Re: Drum cover with Yamaha PHX

The sound is great but to me it sounds more like EQ than the true tom sound

Steady Freddy 11-17-2017 09:06 PM

Great playing and drum sound. I've seen some of your videos before. Like em a lot!

williamsbclontz 11-17-2017 09:21 PM

Beautiful kit. Bass drum sounds so perfect. I've never even sat behind a phx, im jealous

kaide 11-18-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GruntersDad (Post 1533197)
The sound is great but to me it sounds more like EQ than the true tom sound

There's actually very little eq, just a little top end. I have a 200-300 ms gate on toms but nothing else. But I agree it sounds like it was heavily mixed :) Snare is the only drum with some 0,6 seconds plate reverb, other drums are dry except a little reverb on overheads.

kaide 11-18-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steady Freddy (Post 1533239)
Great playing and drum sound. I've seen some of your videos before. Like em a lot!

Thanks Steady Freddy!

Andy 12-14-2017 10:32 AM

Just wanted to chime in & say how much I'm enjoying your playing - absolutely musical loveliness :)

2bsticks 12-14-2017 04:17 PM

Your drums and your playing sound great Kai, also your tom head comparison video was also top notch and that Brady kit sounded sweet too. Thanks for sharing.

TK-421 12-14-2017 10:51 PM

Love the groove and your tasty fills. The kit sounds great, and the snare is killer. Is that a Longo? I couldn't quite see the badge well enough to tell, but that what it looked like. I also noticed you're not using a ride. Is it just not setup for this video, or do you not use one period? Seems like a weird question, but I know the drummer for The Subways doesn't use a hi nat, so I suppose anything is possible.

kaide 12-18-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 1537216)
Just wanted to chime in & say how much I'm enjoying your playing - absolutely musical loveliness :)

Thanks for the great feedback Andy!

kaide 12-18-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bsticks (Post 1537252)
Your drums and your playing sound great Kai, also your tom head comparison video was also top notch and that Brady kit sounded sweet too. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks 2bsticks! Yes PHX and Brady are really nice drums :)

kaide 12-18-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 1537341)
Love the groove and your tasty fills. The kit sounds great, and the snare is killer. Is that a Longo? I couldn't quite see the badge well enough to tell, but that what it looked like. I also noticed you're not using a ride. Is it just not setup for this video, or do you not use one period? Seems like a weird question, but I know the drummer for The Subways doesn't use a hi nat, so I suppose anything is possible.

Thanks TK-421! Yes that's a Longo 14x5,5 solid cherry with a very cutting tight sound. There's not ride because I thought that I won't need it and I had just setup the kit without cymbals so I only added what I needed for this song.

Tamaefx 12-18-2017 11:02 AM

Great playing ! It's true that it sounds a lot EQ'ed (bass and toms), but it totally fits the music style :), as is your groovy drumming.

whiteknightx 12-19-2017 03:02 AM

that was terrific. Great playing, and the toms sound perfect to me. THat's how I picture perfect toms sound.

CYP 12-21-2017 06:48 AM

Sounds great man! Love the restraint you showed in the fill style, was obvious that something like 2:40 was possible, but you were tasty to wait until then for some fireworks :)

kaide 12-22-2017 08:58 AM

Hey thanks guys for the Great feedback!!!! Merry Christmas :)

Micael Öberg 12-23-2017 03:53 PM

Sounds nice and solid

lefty2 12-27-2017 03:16 AM

i'm with the sounds great crowd too. Your playing is top notch also. Very nice video.

Stroker 12-27-2017 04:12 AM

Superb playing, Sir, and the sound is tremendous!

MercilessDrummer 01-01-2018 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaide (Post 1533378)
There's actually very little eq, just a little top end. I have a 200-300 ms gate on toms but nothing else. But I agree it sounds like it was heavily mixed :) Snare is the only drum with some 0,6 seconds plate reverb, other drums are dry except a little reverb on overheads.

I thought the same as Grunter. I was thinking I wish it wasn't so saturated but as it turns out maybe the drums are just so damn good.

Phenomenal drumming. Not over played, tight, great fills. Also the setup is very tasty. I never got used to two floor toms, but the simplicity of the cymbals and the quality of the drums is nice.