Evans G Plus Review

B-squared

Silver Member
It should be obvious from the title that I just tried these heads (coated version). After reading some posts here, I was tempted to try a line of Evans heads different from those I have played (G1's, G2's, and a couple others) . I wanted 1-ply for my Ludwig CM's and I thought the newer G14 sounded a little too thick for a first try, so I went with the G Pluses after reading this old review:

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/...s/heads/g-plus-coated-drumheads-171827/review

I have never really been all that affected by the latest or greatest heads or sticks. To me, if they aren't something I don't like for whatever reason, then OK, no big deal. However, these heads are different. They sound incredible, they have that indestructible Evans coating, and they FEEL great. There is a nice rebound and they have the greatest dynamic range of anything I've ever played, which is nice because my band plays about every style there is, from jazz, to country, to hip-hop, to hard rock. I play accordingly, which is to say, I don't always hit softly. Of the music calls for it, I can hit as hard as anybody. These heads can take it all, and they don't dent or lose coating. As somebody who never really raved about any heads before in 43 years of drumming, I have to say: "These are AMAZING"!

Thanks for the review B-squared. After trying clear Emperors over Ambassadors and Pinstripes over Ambassadors for the past 8 or so months, I feel these thin shells could benefit from a loose tuning, same type of drum head setup and am looking to go coated on both top and bottom. Though I want to try a thicker one ply head, such as you did, because I want less attack and more drum. Though I don't want them to dent and wear on me too quick which is why I too was thinking of Ambassador X's over X's or G Plus over G Plus coated. The good thing about Evans G Plus is that it's either coated or clear. Kinds sucks Remo chose to stay coated with the X's.

Thanks for the review B-squared. After trying clear Emperors over Ambassadors and Pinstripes over Ambassadors for the past 8 or so months, I feel these thin shells could benefit from a loose tuning, same type of drum head setup and am looking to go coated on both top and bottom. Though I want to try a thicker one ply head, such as you did, because I want less attack and more drum. Though I don't want them to dent and wear on me too quick which is why I too was thinking of Ambassador X's over X's or G Plus over G Plus coated. The good thing about Evans G Plus is that it's either coated or clear. Kinds sucks Remo chose to stay coated with the X's.

You could always go with the new G14 if you want a single ply even thicker than the G Plus.

Thank you PDP. If you try them, I hope you like them as much as I do.

You could always go with the new G14 if you want a single ply even thicker than the G Plus.

That's true and probably will some day but I want to try the 12 mil's first. I think I am going to just go with the Ambassador X's for now as Guitar Center has a pre pack of 10,12, 14 and 16 for 39.99. For about $70 I can do top and bottom with the X's as to about $100 for top and bottom with the Evans heads. Those Evans heads get up there with the total price and that's just not something I can afford currently lol! I do appreciate the tip marko and for the positive thoughts on the Evans 12 mil's B-squared. It only helps to reassure my thoughts on going with these thicker single ply heads.

Back