First post: Evans VS Remo

JHwibbs

Hi guys. I have been using Coated ambassadors over clear abassadors for about five years. However, the coating wears off quickly and I am thinking about switching to Evans. What are the pros and cons of Evans heads? I play mostly jazz.

Hi guys. I have been using Coated ambassadors over clear abassadors for about five years. However, the coating wears off quickly and I am thinking about switching to Evans. What are the pros and cons of Evans heads? I play mostly jazz.

There really isn't that much difference. 10 mil Mylar is 10 Mil Mylar. I've found the Evans coating to last a lot longer

Played Clear Emperors for years. Tried Evans G2 clears and have been sold on Evans ever since. For me personally, the Evans heads last longer. Currently using EC2 Clears.

If you like Ambassadors you'll probably like Evans G1s.

I'm a rock guy so I use 2 ply heads. G2s. I haven't had any coating issues with Evans heads. I use Ambassadors on my snare and it will lose most of it's coating before the G2s on my toms even start to chip. The Evans coating is far more durable than Remo's.

They also make a Jazz series of heads called J1s. It has an etched finish rather than a coating. I used one on a snare and liked it.

HTH

Closest Aquarian solution to the G2 is either a Super-2 or Response 2.
Here's the link to Super-2's

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/products/display.asp?id=31

The Super-2's are, I believe the closest to an Evans G2 although they are missing from this comparison page for Aquarian heads:

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/drumhead_tips/default.asp

For the most part I'm an Aquarian guy. However, I will go to Evans as well. I was 'gifted' a whole set of Evans heads for my drums so I currently have G2 coated over G1 resos on toms, coated PCRD on a couple of snares, coated G2 on another snare, and an EMAD on one of my bass drums.

I do happen to like Remo's coated underside CS dot head for my metal snares a tad bit better than the Evans/Aquarian equivalents. That's strictly on a sound level. The durability of Aquarian is unmatched in my experience, especially when it comes to coating on heads. Evans coating also lasted longer than Remo in my experience although both brands of heads lost their 'liveliness' before Aquarian.

HTH

Jim

I used to use Remo on everything until about 8 years ago. I tried some G2 coated heads on my toms and I was sold. I tried the g1 on my snares but I have found I like the Remo sound better for my snares.

Haven't tried many evans on my toms, only the ec2 coated, but I didn't have any good resos so I didn't get a good sound.

But I use evans for my snare, it's a tama metalworks one. The stocks heads that come with it are the best for it, I have tried other heads such as remo emperor x and some others, but nothing beats the sound of it with an evans power center reverse dot with a hazy 300 as the reso.

For toms I use clear emperors over clear ambassadors now.

If your a jazz guy try the aquarian texture coated. Had one on my snare when i brought it sounded frickin fantastic till my rock hitting went straight through it :( .Cant go wrong with the good old G1 though.And the coating does last longer but in my experience are a little duller than Remo.

I have been playing Evans alot more recently, just picked up some heads yesterday.

But I might check out some Aquarian's next. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Back