zildjian cymbals

spaulwalt

I recently inherited a drum set.....the cymbals are zildjian and one in particular has written on it who it was made for and then it is signed in marker by Ar------ Zildjian. Just wondering if it is worth anything, it has like nail heads or something drilled into the cymbal.....anyone if you can help. Thanksdukes drums.jpg

chillyrock

Don't know how much help I can be but, the holes were probably for rivets to give a sizzle sound. As for the signatures , it may be just signed by one of the Zildjian family for that drummer. I've never heard of that drummer.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

chillyrock

Just to add to Bills'....the 20 grand, was a blues/soul club/hotel in Detroit. I still don't know who the drummer is but, you may have something there.

Rhett

If this is a 50's ride, then depending on the weight, it would be worth between $200 and $400. But you may be closer to $200 with such bad key holing on the center hole.

But then again, if that is a real signature from Avedis Zildjian and this turns out to be a very thin/lightweight ride, it could be worth over $500. If you snap a pic of the zildjian stamp/imprint on the top of the ride I can tell you its age within a few years or so.

www.hdcustomdrums.com

spaulwalt

My friend Duke Hyde played for different bandss, died at the age of 88 almost 20 years ago. He told me that he had played with Count Bassie and Duke Ellington at one point. I do know this I was with him at the Traverse City Jazz Festival many years ago....and they introduced him and brought him up on stage....so.....??? I would assume that some of the stuff he told me maybe true....FYI

BillBachman

Gold Member
Yup, looking at the stamp confirms in what I initially saw in the lathing underneath--mid to late 50's and I'm starting to think that stamp went into the early 60's right up to the Ringo effect where they started making them differently with more machine use (still great, just different).

On one hand the keyholing of that degree kills the value, on the other hand the Avedis signature adds to the value. I'd still take the first $200 that came my way for it if I was selling it. The fact that it's polished doesn't help either.

On a side note I'm a cymbalholic and I've collected/bought/sold around 500 USA made vintage Zildjians.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
That A Zildjian ride you have there is deffinately a 50's big stamp.Post more photo's of the stamps if you can and DO NOT polish the cymbals.Most collectors perfer them with the petina.

Steve B

barryabko

Those are certainly not factory drilled rivet holes. Whoever drilled those had a few beers first and then measured with the lights off!

Barry

Rhett

The ride is considered a 60's ride based on the stamp, even though it may have been manufactured in the late 50's to 60's. The real determiner of the value will be the weight at this point. The other guy is right. If anyone offers you $200 for it, I would take it. If you tried to sell it w/o the signature, it would probably only sell for $100-$135 on Ebay, and you may not even get that much with the keyholing.

But if that is a real signature, I really have no idea the amount a signature from Avedis would add to the value. It all depends on who is buying it I guess.