YouTube Covers keep getting pulled

AzHeat

Platinum Member
So here's the rub...Google can do what they want, be it collect your data and sell it for major profit. Yeah, yeah, I know, you can opt out, but good luck with that. They then take copyrighted music and sell commercials with it. Then lecture on the rules when you trying to post a video to ask what am I doing wrong! If you play cover songs in a bar, the bartender makes money and if it's a respectable joint, they will pay you for the effort. Not once have I seen a bar owner track songs to pay ASCAP fees. If my church on the other hand, plays a worship song, they have to pay royalties to the record companies.

I in no way suggest the unlawful obtaining of any copyrighted material, but the whole what's legal and what's not part is super slanted.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
If a TV show or commercial is playing music, you can bet they belong to ASCAP or have paid royalties. Bars are supposed to pay a fee to have cover bands. If you close you will see a decal on the juke box where the vending company has paid it's fees. The bar owner plays a flat fee for this, not per song. One of my friends, a rep for Big Bang and other drum companies just lost a great gig because the owner decided to no longer pay the fee. He had the gig for a while and had a great following. I think the "what's legal and what's not" has issues and I'm sure plenty get away with it. I've had Youtube vids blocked. You tube is only protecting themselves from lawsuits, not censoring you. I am going to spend some time today and find that article where they said they were going to crack down. In the mean time use songs that have already become public domain.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I am, by no means taking sides here, but only try to find out the policy as well.
Ultimately, we're all on the same side anyway. I don't see anyone here taking the position of the copyright abolitionist. It's about how and where legal lines should be drawn.

Side note: I was literally in the room with Martin Guigui the first time the ATT commercial that mis-appropriated "Sticky Love" intro played. The look on his face was priceless.

Last edited:

Mongrel

Silver Member
I feel your pain Dizeee...

I think what the issue is for Dizeee, and myself as well, is that there have been "drum covers" of copyrighted tunes probably since day one. Many of these are almost studio quality in their production with HD video. Many if these sights generate money for their owners through subscribers etc. and none of them seem to be affected to any great degree by "copyright" issues (at least not to the naked eye). Even if they post something stating they are not doing it for commercial purposes...they still seem to generate income via advertising and subscriptions. I may be wrong, but on the surface at least it seems pretty close to what is happening.

Now, along cones a guy like Dizeee or me who just wants to share their playing with some friends using a backing track to do it...and...BAM! The "copyright" shields go up. Doesn't matter that anyone with a 1/4 of a functioning brain understands what is going on, and that no one is trying to "pull anything" or profit off another's work-the cover gets pulled....

That is what I think has Dizzeee (and myself honestly) a littled "upset". We have no intention of stealing anything or taking any credit for anything, while there are other drummers out there racking up subscribers and getting away with it. Fair is fair and all that...

Anyway, it looks like Dizeee got a few vids up so all is well...

Destroyer772

Gold Member
I feel the same way Mongrel, I just dont get it. I have a few friends (my kids as well) that enjoy my video's, hell even my Mother. Watching Y.T Drum Covers is what helped me get going again after not sitting behind a kit for 20 years. Now I am doing it more so to get good at recording. What is the harm, but we are in a small group here. A lot of people despise drum cover's for what ever reason. I can post a drum cover on here and it may get 100 views on the forum but only around 10 views on the actual video. If I am going to open up and read a thread I sure as heck am going to take a minute of my time and watch the video. I like to watch other people play, for me its a good way to learn and to give a little support to another Drummer. I am never to good to do that.

Mongrel

Silver Member
For me, I am more interested in getting feedback on my playing, mostly from a creative standpoint and "groove". I am not interested in doing note-for-note covers and showing how well I can copy a drum part at this point.

What I really enjoy is putting drums to music that has no drums, folk tunes, or whatever. But I have even had those blocked.

What I was able to do was turn the volume of the "cover tune" way down and play over that. Just enough that when tbe drum volume drops you can hear the tune in the background... It allows the listener to know if I am on track with the tune or not.

Dizeee

I feel your pain Dizeee...

I think what the issue is for Dizeee, and myself as well, is that there have been "drum covers" of copyrighted tunes probably since day one. Many of these are almost studio quality in their production with HD video. Many if these sights generate money for their owners through subscribers etc. and none of them seem to be affected to any great degree by "copyright" issues (at least not to the naked eye). Even if they post something stating they are not doing it for commercial purposes...they still seem to generate income via advertising and subscriptions. I may be wrong, but on the surface at least it seems pretty close to what is happening.

Now, along cones a guy like Dizeee or me who just wants to share their playing with some friends using a backing track to do it...and...BAM! The "copyright" shields go up. Doesn't matter that anyone with a 1/4 of a functioning brain understands what is going on, and that no one is trying to "pull anything" or profit off another's work-the cover gets pulled....

That is what I think has Dizzeee (and myself honestly) a littled "upset". We have no intention of stealing anything or taking any credit for anything, while there are other drummers out there racking up subscribers and getting away with it. Fair is fair and all that...

Anyway, it looks like Dizeee got a few vids up so all is well...
Exactly that.

Nothing more needs saying. Send me to jail!

Dizeee

And again, both of the replies above from Destroyer and Mongrel are right on the money.

I have some tunes linked to the ones I posted, which may now again be blocked.

I don't get the guardianship. Ok, maybe I do understand it.

But I'm no threat. Or so i thought. Maybe I am just so darn good I am being watched. lol

DrumWild

I've done a couple of drum covers in the past that got pulled right away. I guess you could call them "drum karaoke," since I'm playing along with the original track.

The weirdest I've experienced is that the videos I have of me playing an instrument for my band's recordings has a copyright claim from CD Baby on behalf of the band and myself.

So I'm essentially striking myself.

CD Baby will claim all advertising for the videos. I'm sure all 28 plays will be raking in the dough.

Nate'sKit

If a TV show or commercial is playing music, you can bet they belong to ASCAP or have paid royalties. Bars are supposed to pay a fee to have cover bands. If you close you will see a decal on the juke box where the vending company has paid it's fees. The bar owner plays a flat fee for this, not per song. One of my friends, a rep for Big Bang and other drum companies just lost a great gig because the owner decided to no longer pay the fee. He had the gig for a while and had a great following. I think the "what's legal and what's not" has issues and I'm sure plenty get away with it. I've had Youtube vids blocked. You tube is only protecting themselves from lawsuits, not censoring you. I am going to spend some time today and find that article where they said they were going to crack down. In the mean time use songs that have already become public domain.
We had a nice Jazz Jam going at a coffee shop here. Sunday early evenings. It was mainly for the youngsters in the near by high school Jazz program, although there were some graduates of the program that had gone on to college music programs along with some of us old heads. Then the owner gets the letter from ASCAP.

It seems that ASCAP got wind of things from the facebook event pages that said for potential participants to bring Realbook I and II. The owner initially wanted to continue on but later decided against it. It would have been a pretty good hit to her financially. ASCAP had no legally recognizable proof that would stand up in court at that point as they had yet to visit the venue.

Nobody was arguing against copyright protection but it was sad that we lost this nice little learning opportunity. It was the only music that the shop had.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
The record companies copyright the stuff and YouTube have an algorithm that detects it and does that. Think of the app shazam.

Some people will eq the song slightly different or pitch shift it to change it enough it isn't detected. This can get you into trouble though and I don't recommend or condone doing this.

Other record companies will let you post, but you get an popup you accept that it is copyright materials, and that the owner of the material is going to put ads on your video and they receive the profits. I have done this several times.

3. Don't try to monetize other peoples material as it will be blocked right away.

I would be happy to watch people cover my bands songs on YouTube. I am not happy when our albums end up on every torrent site in the world. I guess different people have different opinions and feelings on this. What I don't want to see is someone make money off an ad when I try to click on my owns band's song on YouTube.