Your top 5 non-standard additions to a kit

davidr

Basically, I just added a tambourine to my kit because I'm doing covers and every pop song seems to use tambourine. This got me thinking, what are the most useful, interesting and fun non-standard things to add to a kit? I'm including cowbell as standard just because its so obvious, but other than that I mean anything that's not a cymbal, tom, normal snare etc.

jwildman

1. China Cymbal
2. Splash Cymbal
3. Double Bass Pedal
4. Side Snare
5. Auxillary Percussion (Tambourine, Cowbells, Jamblocks)
China and splash because they aren't the norm in the regular hats/crash/ride setup. Although it might go against your standards.

R

Random Name 123

I like a raw kit - mine's only a three piece, and that's not to be pretentious. Aside from being easy to transport and assemble, I like the challenge of making beats sound as diverse as possible with just a bass, snare and floor tom (and a couple of cymbals).

That said, I'm thinking of adding some bongos where the rack toms would be.

If not that, then I also thought of a conga to the left of my hi-hat. Might be interesting.

Apart from those, I'd only ever add a tambourine. Don't like the cowbell sound.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I use chimes, (love that sound) tambourine, 2 cowbells (high and low) and I'm just starting to incorporate the vibra slap. Gotta have a 10" splash too. After that Id go bongos, timbale. That stuff always adds fun, it all sounds so happy. You can't be depressed and want to play any of these.

davidr

1. China Cymbal
2. Splash Cymbal
3. Double Bass Pedal
4. Side Snare
5. Auxillary Percussion (Tambourine, Cowbells, Jamblocks)
China and splash because they aren't the norm in the regular hats/crash/ride setup. Although it might go against your standards.
I consider these pretty standard. When I say non-standard I meant not cymbals unless you have a broken one that sounds cool or those ones Johnny Rabb uses on his snare. just to clarify. Same for double bass pedal. I guess I mean things like chimes etc or electronic pads even. Hmmmm...

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

I would have to say that having a second bass drum with a single pedal attached to it beside my double bass pedal (for the right-side bass drum) would be my #1 "extra" luxury. I'm thinking of adding (fabricating or buying) a 'wind chime' for a few songs, and maybe a pedal-mounted (second) cowbell- probable a remote cable type. Maybe even a pedal-mounted tambourine setup.

Cheers,
C. P.

W

wy yung

Basically, I just added a tambourine to my kit because I'm doing covers and every pop song seems to use tambourine. This got me thinking, what are the most useful, interesting and fun non-standard things to add to a kit? I'm including cowbell as standard just because its so obvious, but other than that I mean anything that's not a cymbal, tom, normal snare etc.
There's lots of things to add. How about a VibraSlap? Or a repinique? Bell tree? It's as limited as one's imagination.

The problem is one ends up spending lots of money! My poor wallet.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
-Octobans

-Custom home made chimes (I'm not talking the ones that are made in a shop, I mean the hand crafted ones that gots character)

-Any sort of Hammerax Cymbal ;)

-The new Korg Wave Drum

hmmmm..... I'm sure theres more but thats all I can think of right now.

-Jonathan

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Duck call, flexitone, slide whistle, Peking opera gong, finger cymbals, thunder sheet, claves, fire bell, glockenspiel, xylophone, timpani, congas, timbales...

Well, that's from the last musical I played, anyways!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Duck call, flexitone, slide whistle, Peking opera gong, finger cymbals, thunder sheet, claves, fire bell, glockenspiel, xylophone, timpani, congas, timbales...

Well, that's from the last musical I played, anyways!
What a great list of extra toys. I would have loved to have seen you in action playing that lot, Caddy. Do you have any recordings of the show to share?

Tropellor

I often use a Ribbon Crasher for effects, I also have an MPC 500 beside me for certain bands (I play it live using roland pads, or play along to sequences)

CreeplyTuna

Silver Member
I don't know if this counts, but I put a clamped a tom to a cymbal stand so it wasn't directly over my bass. That being said, I also stuck my 2nd tom out to the left, still connected to the bass so it hangs, and is just millimeters from the edge of the bass, much lower than before. My bass is now angled towards the right, and my snare in the center of my, now much much closer and lower toms, the way it would be on a double bass drum kit, but with only one bass drum.

It doesn't sound as cool writing it out, I see now, but any drummer seeing it for the first time would find it odd and different. I love the way it's set up now though. My hit hat is in the perfect place, and i moved my double bass pedal to the right of my hi hat, instead of on the left, where the bar that connects the two pedals ran over top my foot, and was extended as far and it could possibly go. My ride is closer to me, and so is my second crash, and I put a splash under it, which looks really cool, but i can also reach it easier. Cuz of a cheap clamp, my whole kit got rearranged and now looks "non-standard."

D

Doctor Dirt

If were doing a straight R&R sets and I don't sing any of my tunes or covers I bring a small 8" TV if I know of a good local show on. Sports are obviously good to watch while playing and it relaxes me. I give some scores out and commentate the games in between tunes. The Florida college football is a huge draw here so some attention given is appreciated by the audiance. I play bad guy and always root for the other team, it gets a rise from everyone and helps keep the focus on us.
So my added piece is a TV, no audio and a good prop. R&R (rock n roll) bores me so I turn R&R into Rest n Relaxation hahahaha!!!! Honestly I fall into a coma when they start that CCR crap, man thats a boring a band, that drummer got paid for doing nada! Doc

topgun2021

Gold Member
For that people that say chimes. Do you mean wind chimes, or chimes you hit with mallets?

I think I am going to find a way to play a hummingbird feeder so I can hang one off a cymbal stand.