Your idea of a good snare sound on a record?

I actually like a bit of ring. If i'm honest TS i used to be just like you when i first started having an interest in drums. I thought "oh i hate it when snares ring" but then i realised that the ring is half the point of the snare drum sound! The other thing is that you would probably find that if you listened to most of the recordings of your "ideal" snare drum sound without any of the other instruments then it would be a ringy sound because without that when the other instruments are mixed in you end up with that cardboard box sound that you said. So yeah that's what i like.

Carter Beauford from the Dave Matthews Band got a great snare tone on the albums Under the Table and Dreaming and Crash. The drum sounds warm, but at the same time it's really tight-sounding with plenty of hi-end articulation (what I like to call the "crack" factor) I think he used a drum which was custom-made by legendary drum tech Jeff Ochletree, but I'm not quite certain on that one.

I actually like a bit of ring. If i'm honest TS i used to be just like you when i first started having an interest in drums. I thought "oh i hate it when snares ring" but then i realised that the ring is half the point of the snare drum sound! The other thing is that you would probably find that if you listened to most of the recordings of your "ideal" snare drum sound without any of the other instruments then it would be a ringy sound because without that when the other instruments are mixed in you end up with that cardboard box sound that you said. So yeah that's what i like.
Actually I'm using a snare that rings quite a lot ATM and when I mix music over it it sounds like a cardboard box

"bittersweet" - stanton moore - galactic
"i don't need no doctor" - steve jordan - john scofield & john mayer
"sprung monkey" - stanton moore
"cissy strut" - zigaboo modeliste - the meters
"in repair" - steve jordan - john mayer
"trouble" - brady blade - dave matthews
"#41" - carter beauford - dave matthews band
"hamp's hump" - stanton moore - galactic
"pungee" - zig modeliste - the meters
"thinking" - zig modeliste - the meters
"mudfootball" - adam topol - jack johnson

Actually I'm using a snare that rings quite a lot ATM and when I mix music over it it sounds like a cardboard box

I used to get that too. When i got a decent snare drum though that i could tune higher i found that i could actually hear it which is good. Also close miking the snare really helps.

Queensryche "Empire", the whole album.

Dream Theater "A Change of Seasons"

Those two have always stood out to me.

Carter Beauford from the Dave Matthews Band got a great snare tone on the albums Under the Table and Dreaming and Crash. The drum sounds warm, but at the same time it's really tight-sounding with plenty of hi-end articulation (what I like to call the "crack" factor) I think he used a drum which was custom-made by legendary drum tech Jeff Ochletree, but I'm not quite certain on that one.

Thanks for reminding me of that snare sound. One of my definite favorites!

But I am fairly certain that was an Ocheltree Phantom Steel snare. It was a limited run rather than a real custom job. Steve Smith used one for years as his main snare. I have a very similar Ocheltree Dangerous model. Great snare. (Heavy, though!)

It's so hard to pick favorites with so many, but I keep coming back to the incredible drumming sounds Gregg Bissonette laid down on Joe Satriani's "The Extremist" album. Every piece of the kit and every cymbal sound so amazing.

Joe Morello's snare on Time Out is perfect. My least favorite is the snare on Icky Thump, it sounds like all the drums were recorded from far away, but the snare sounds like it was miced too and turned up way too loud.

I really just love the sound of a snare drum. There are so many kinds of snares and so many ways of tuning them, and I pretty much just love them all. Most versatile drum in the kit. I CELEBRATE THE SNARE ECLECTIC!

However, I have to say that just about my all-time fave is a Supra, and Bonham's in particular. I've always thought of his snare as sounding like an ax chopping wood. A great big ax and a huge piece of wood! Hammer of the Gods!

There are so many great snare sounds out there,some of my fav's is Bonham's of

course,but I also like the snare on Gadd's 50 ways too leave you lover and also Mike

Portnoy's snare on Dream Theater's Awake I like more of a poppy,snappy type snare

instead of the snare sound of the 80's where the wires are totally loose and like they had

a snare on a floor tom LOL the dw Edge snares are pretty-sweet but expensive.

Keep swattin'
Bonzolead

My favorite snare sound is Gavin Harrison's, I really love this snare!!
I emailed Gavin about it and ended up buying one, 14x6.5 Sonor Cottonwood.
http://drummerworld.com/Videos/gavinharrisonfutile.html
I also really like the sound of Chris Layton's snare on a lot of the old SRV tunes.

Speaking of snares, anyone hear the new one from Pearl Jam, "brother". I can't stand that snare sound.....

Back