Your "go to" snare

Groov-E

Silver Member
For me, the sound. Then the built quality. After that comes the look - unless the snare is incredibly hideous. :)

I just played e.g. the new Recording Custom Aluminium snare. A hell of a snare, really really great, no, awesome(!) sounding. It's not terribly pretty, the snare strainer is also a bit uncomfy for me but the sound of it really makes me want to buy one.
I played on 2 steel RC snares and both sounded amazing.

The maple hybrid 14x6 I also played would also make a great all-rounder, never thought I'd say that about a wood snare but that was just ignorance on my part.

I was waiting for a fairly-priced brass snare, so I can't wait to try one out for myself.

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
I also played the new RC Brass snare but the Aluminium was just better for my ears. 480 Euros roughly. Not cheap but not really expensive either when you consider the quality of the drum.

Groov-E

Silver Member
I also played the new RC Brass snare but the Aluminium was just better for my ears. 480 Euros roughly. Not cheap but not really expensive either when you consider the quality of the drum.
Here they are between 650-700$cad (retail price) depending on depth, so a bit under 500$us and around 465euros. Street price for stock merchandise is probably more around 600$.

To me it is a fair price in the current market.

G

Ghostnote

aye, sound. My most played is a £250 job from ebay. However I think we are influenced by the beauty of snares and the exclusivity of them. Who doesn't love a nice segmented, stave or steambent snare? Who doesn't like a nice exotic veneer?

I learned not to listen to my inner magpie (when it comes to drums at least) a long time ago :)

One thing to note though is that all my snares have the same 45 degree sharp bearing edges, maybe it's time for a more rounded one...... dammit there I go again
Not to egg you on, but my 5x15 Legacy has rounded bearing edges and they definitely bring something to the table. One of the aspects I like about the Oriollo shells is they offer rounded edges on the batter side and sharp 45's on the snare side with their spun aluminum shells. If I can get them to build me an aluminum 6.5x15, I'm pretty confident it would become my "go to" drum.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I don't know if I've become accustomed to the sounds I prefer, but I bought two snares a long time ago and I didn't buy another until I started hanging around this place. Whenever I heard any other snares, I didn't care for any of them to what I already had.

My go-to snares are the two I got a long time ago, a 6.5 Ludwig hammered bronze and a 7.25 Sonorlite.

It doesn't mean they sound the best to me anywhere, it just means they sound better to me most of the time.