Your favorite wood on a snare drum

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
I know they make snares with several different kinds of woods and metals. So far I've accumulated 2 maple snares, an oak snare, and a steel snare.

I've heard various responses about birch snares, but I've never tried one. Am I missing out by not having a birch snare?

What in your opinion is your favorite wood shell on a snare drum? And why?

steverok

Silver Member
I have only owned two wood snare drums, both birch, one by Premier, and one by Yamaha, and both are great.

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I know they make snares with several different kinds of woods and metals. So far I've accumulated 2 maple snares, an oak snare, and a steel snare.

I've heard various responses about birch snares, but I've never tried one. Am I missing out by not having a birch snare?

What in your opinion is your favorite wood shell on a snare drum? And why?
You are missing out! You better go get one! While you're at it, you're missing out on bamboo, bubinga, ash, mahogany, koa, jarrah, and a number of acrylics I'll just misspell, and other metals like brass, aluminum, copper......WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? You should have at least 30 different snares drums right now! It's only money! Treat yourself!

;)

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I'm currently playing a beautiful Guru oak snare. My last two snares have been oak but this is a totally different beast to my ply snare. I also own an ash ply snare that I like - just a stock model - but it is a lovely, versatile snare.

I tried out a Brady jarrah block snare at the London Drum Show a few weeks ago (14x8) and it was superb. It was incredibly sensitive and articulate - as much to do with the exquisite construction as the material.

So many factors go into a snare that the wood is probably the last on the list of sound influences - at least on ply snares. If you're looking to really bring out the best it needs to be a solid, steambent, block or stave construction.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I have a vintage 47 Slingerland Radio King,thats one ply steam bent maple.A vintage 80 Tama superstar 9 ply birch,and a 10 Ludwig CS custom birch.A Ludwig 65 Jazz festival mahogany/poplar/mahogany.A Slingerland 67 Artist maple/poplar/mahogany.A 80's Gretsch maple/gum 6 ply.The rest are mostly brass shelled,aluminum and steel.

It's like having a lot of children.I love then all,but differently,and for different reasons.I really can't say for sure which I like the most,but the BB and the Radio King are at the top of the list.

Steve B

Last edited:

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
You are missing out! You better go get one! While you're at it, you're missing out on bamboo, bubinga, ash, mahogany, koa, jarrah, and a number of acrylics I'll just misspell, and other metals like brass, aluminum, copper......WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? You should have at least 30 different snares drums right now! It's only money! Treat yourself!

;)

Maybe I should sell my maple PDP snare and buy a Stage Custom then! It's a fair trade. Or what else is a good choice for a birch snare around $50-60 used?

mandrew

Gold Member
Since the question is about our favorite WOOD on a snare, I still have to weigh in for maple, with mahogany a darn close second. . .or tie. . .or second, HMMMMMMMM. . .

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
1. Benny Greb snare - Beech and it sounds awesome. Jack of all trades. Tuned high can sound like a metal snare.

2. SQ2 Snare - Medium maple thickness. Great attack and loud when needed yet softer

3. Black Panther Snare - birch medium thickness. A great bargain and also likely to stay in my collection

I love wood snares and I will likely get another.

A

audiotech

I have quite a few favorite wooden snare drums. It would be a heck of a lot easier stating my least favorite. For the record it's my Gretsch Renown.

Tama Starclassic Bubinga

Yamaha Absolute Maple

DW mahogany/poplar/mahogany

Ludwig Classic Maple

Tama Artwood Custom Maple

From top top bottom.

Dennis

RickP

Gold Member
I usually prefer metal shell snare drums (Black Beauty, Ludaloy, bronze) but I do have a couple of wood shell snares that are really nice. I have owned a solid single ply maple and a solid single ply black cherry and I sold those as they just didn't do it for me. One of the reasons was that the bearing edges were full round overs and I found they didn't have enough attack for me.

I really 5 x14 snares , I like them for their versatility. My favourites at this time are a 5 x 14 Ayotte piano black 10 ply maple snare drum, no reinforcing rings and steel triple flange hoops. This drum is resonant, articulate, youdo the crack thing, or do the big full resonant back beat type thing. The tuning range is huge !

The other is a 5 x 14 10 lug Ludwig Legacy Classic OBP snare drum. This snare is warmer than the Ayotte and doesn't have quite the tuning range, but it has a fullness to the sound that is beautiful. It can get surprisingly crisp as well depending on your head choices and tuning.it is a great drum for brushes too.

I tend to prefer ply drums, but I do like the Noble and Cooley Classic SS snares, they use a modern bearing edge and they are really well made. I think the brass fittings contribute a lot to their great sound as well.

Longo and Craviotto and Brady make superb snare drums as well.

sidekick

;)

LOL....I was just thinking about my current snares, 3 total. 3 different woods and I wasn't even considering that at any purchase.

Mohagony, bamboo and the latest, Kapur.

I had quite a few others, mostly maple. Never had a birch snare.