You learn something new everyday

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Today's new thing is a better way (for me anyway) to play a washy ride cymbal, that removes the wash.

I do play nylon tips for everything, maybe this created this need. Wood tips are just so inconsistent that I ditched them.

I have this really great jazzy sounding 22" Agop "Mantra" ride. It does everything, clear ringing bell (fav bell I own), really useful crash with just a hint of trash, and a gorgeous, really exotic ride sound.

One less than perfect aspect...riding the usual way would build up a slightly detracting roar pretty quick.

Riding the usual way (for me) means the tip hits the cymbal more or less at a 90 degree vertical angle. Which always worked with every other ride I owned. I never even had to think about it.

This cymbal is more finicky. If I want to lose the roar to spotlight the exotic ping sound, I finally figured out that she wants to be ridden with the stick swinging at a near horizontal angle, sort of parallel with the cymbal. It feels funny for a bit, then I got used to it. An extreme glancing, almost skittering tip hit. I have to put a little more juice into the tip snap so the volume is where it needs to be, but that's no big deal. It's how this ride sounds best to me. So now I have definition, or wash if I want it, a really useful crash and just a soul satisfying bell. You can have it all.

That almost flat angle does extract a different flavor out of non washy rides too. I thought maybe a few of you guys might find that useful if you haven't tried to do so already.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I need to see you do this "90-degree" thing. I'm picturing you hitting the cymbal perpendicular to it, which doesn't make any sense. Maybe you meant another angle? Like maybe 45-degrees? or 30-degrees?

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Yeah, the 90 degree thing is not computing. That's a right angle which I highly doubt is how you play.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Then we have the whole "what angle is your cymbal at on the stand?" thing.

Some old timers played their cymbals low and flat....some played them almost full verticle.

You would think having the cymbal almkst verticle would cut down the wash quite a bit too.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"

Like this. Stick swing is more or less vertical. The angle of the cymbal really doesn't factor in if it's not extreme, it's the arc of the stick that's vertical.

What are you guys thinking?

Last edited:

KEEF

I've only ever played my ride like that........... Now I'm wondering what the other way is??

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I've only ever played my ride like that........... Now I'm wondering what the other way is??
Well the other way that's new to me is moving the stick so it's arc goes from right to left, almost horizontal. Almost.

It's a motion loosely related to throwing a Frisbee. Horizontal, right to left arc with the stick.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
This is a technique that works well for a washy ride mainly. It tames the wash and brings out the ping.