You know you are a drummer when...

fixxxer

Again, with the steering wheel......being able to get one hell-a-va groove on with the tempo of your car's blinker at every turn.

Also, braking suddenly because you just need that quick closed hi-hat! (People behind you get a little pissed!)

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
When you buy a car based on how well your hardware case fits in it.
Guilty. The last 2 cars I've bought, I had to visualize whether or not a pair of timpani would fit in it. The last car I bought, we got for a good deal on craigslist, and I told my wife, "This seems to be a decent car, but you know that we're going to have to turn right around and sell it if my marimba doesn't fit in it." She nodded hesitantly, but knowingly. :D

Aeolian

Platinum Member
I remember listening to the radio a while back with my dad. There was an ac/dc song playing. I go he's using 2oo2's right?
When you bother to use lower case o's instead of zeros so it looks like the logo.

On the car thing, I hit my left foot on the deadman pedal for kick patterns so much I'm thinking of setting up my kit left handed. I've almost gotten so used to "playing"'this way.

CorditeBackBeat

On the car thing, I hit my left foot on the deadman pedal for kick patterns so much I'm thinking of setting up my kit left handed. I've almost gotten so used to "playing"'this way.
I'll tell you something funny about this...
I am left handed but learned to play a right handed set and I play open handed. I have tried to set up my kit left handed several times but it just felt weird, even though I play this way "in the car" all the time. I also found I can do many more things open handed such as incorporating toms into the groove that I can't cross handed. Go figure.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Don't forget using the clicking of the turn signal as a metronome. (So THAT's why you see so many people driving for miles with it on...)

THC

The most important thing in ANY vehicle is whether the steering wheel has good tone in the various positions around the wheel. Particularly the 1 o'clock and 10 o'clock positions. The floor board sound is important as well.

The newer plastic steering wheels do not make a decent sounding car kit.

My Dodge truck with a rubber steering wheel cover produces a couple nice tones. My Prius sucks. I have to move the right hand over to the center console to get a decent sound. :)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
My Dodge truck with a rubber steering wheel cover produces a couple nice tones. My Prius sucks. I have to move the right hand over to the center console to get a decent sound. :)
Oh man, I ruined the center console on my first car doing that. I learned the hard way the steering wheel is the only way to go in a car.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
You know you are a drummer when...

Your idea of watching TV involves a practice pad and a pair of sticks.

Last edited:

?uesto

Silver Member
Again, with the steering wheel......being able to get one hell-a-va groove on with the tempo of your car's blinker at every turn.

Also, braking suddenly because you just need that quick closed hi-hat! (People behind you get a little pissed!)
Haha. My gas/brake always serve as my drum pedals. When I start driving a stick shift, I'll destroy my transmission playing the with the clutch. :)

Good answers though. Pretty funny so far.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
You're automatically excluded from "what key should we do this in" discussions.
All eyes look at you when taking up stage space is mentioned.
The sound guy fails to ask you what kind of FOH sound you want.
The sound guy doesn't believe you need any level in the monitors.
The sound guy asks you why you don't have a hole in your kick reso head.
You confuse the sound guy by asking for overheads rather than close mic everything.
The venue manager looks at you & assumes the band will be too loud.
You have to order things in component form to sneak purchaces past the wife.
You're sighted as the main cause of a drop in local property values.
You're the butt of most of the "musos are stupid" jokes.
Everyone assumes you're broke.
You're broke.

THC

You have to order things in component form to sneak purchaces past the wife.

That applies to ALL of our hobbies.

I told my wife a few minutes ago that I was leaving in awhile to go look at a drumset from Craigslist.

She looked at me like I was speaking swahili. "You just sold a kit, you have a kit now, WTF are you going to look at another one for?" "Are you gonna buy it?" "Maybe" "SERIOUSLY?!?"

Muckster

Platinum Member
You have a practice pad in every room of your house.
You're real close to perfecting the car drum kit.
You have a bass drum pedal under your desk at work (i really do!)
Five minutes won't go by without your wife saying: "STOP TAPPING!"

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Many of these resonate with me, especially when it comes to driving in the car, where I'm better off alone because I drive everyone crazy when I wack the steering wheel.

I've also mildly sprained my wrist because I over-exerted myself while air drumming to a Led Zeppelin concert video.

When nothing is available to drum with, or my hands are being used to type or something else, my mouth fills in for the drums. It's amazing how many different sounds you can get out of your mouth. Now at least I know which sounds represent the bass, hi-hat, crash, snare, etc., but I'm sure if anyone heard me they would think it sounds like I'm just frothing at the mouth or have terretts syndrome.

Funnyman

When you almost failed an English report for using the word cymbal and not symbol.
When you download the free I-pod/I-Phone drum application.

DrWorm

That is awesome Muckster! I wish I could get away with that. As it is, I'm surprised no one has said anything about the tapping coming from my cube.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Don't forget using the clicking of the turn signal as a metronome.
Yes. Jamming with the blinker is my favourite way of passing time at traffic lights (even if it's a bit, well, Meg-ish :) ... but only when I'm waiting to turn a corner!