you guys are great.

NUTHA JASON

Senior Administrator
i run a studio in the south west of london and i play in the circuit as well as several festivals and battle of the bands - so i get to meet a lot of local drummers. also as a teacher and inspector i get to meet a lot of drum teachers - and talk shop.

over the last few months the impression i'm getting of local drummers is not good.

it astonishes me how few of them know about things like:
- the stick control book
- who steve gadd or gavin harrison are
- what the open close technique or moeller technique are
- how to tune a kit
- who clyde stubblefield, jabo or zigaboo are.
- youtube has loads of good stuff
- drummerworld exsists
- that drummers actually have magazines.

i mean come on! Some of them are proud that they never practice.

if you are on this forum, it is because you actually want to learn and share good drum knowledge. There are far more drummers out there than there are visitors to all the forums i visit. it seems that a lot of them are basically clueless and don't care.
j

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
I think that this awareness on your part just speaks for where music is today. No respect for the past masters or the history, and just wanting the short cuts to money and fame. IMO the reason that most newer music is crap. I watched the History Channel yesterday on the history of the electric guitar and was very interested in the development. Not because I play or will ever play but simply because it's part of music.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
A year ago I would have been that drummer that you speak of. Who is Steve Gadd? I don't know. Should I care?

I think I've got all this info now just from reading this website, but at some point it all becomes repetitive. So you probably won't be seeing much of me around here anymore. Peace.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I know what the stick book, Steve Gadd and the Moeller technique are, but I have not read, listened to or studied them in any great detail. I do however have a regimented practice routine and use youtube/drum books/magazines to try and improve my playing.

In any event, I believe the cream will always rise to the top. There are those people who will get the breaks based on luck alone, but they are few and far between. The better drummers who practice their craft and use all their resources will be the ones who get the repeat gigs.

edvia

I think that this awareness on your part just speaks for where music is today. No respect for the past masters or the history, and just wanting the short cuts to money and fame. IMO the reason that most newer music is crap. I watched the History Channel yesterday on the history of the electric guitar and was very interested in the development. Not because I play or will ever play but simply because it's part of music.
I watched that same documentary on the History Channel a while back, and for the same reason. I found it fascinating. I have absolutely no talent on guitar (fortunately I make up for it on drums), but I love the instrument. It's a unique piece of American culture that has transformed music around the world. Now if only the History Channel will do a documentary on the evolution of the drum set.

BTW, while I agree that a large percentage of new music is crap, there are still quite a few good bands out there. And despite the OP, I feel that most of the good ones are out of England these days -- Porcupine Tree, Muse, Radiohead, The Pineapple Thief, etc. But given Britain's long history of great bands, perhaps this has always been the case.

topgun2021

Gold Member
There is a drummer at my university who doesn't know what a cowbell is.

This person is an embarrassing musician overall though.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
A year ago I would have been that drummer that you speak of. Who is Steve Gadd? I don't know. Should I care?

I think I've got all this info now just from reading this website, but at some point it all becomes repetitive. So you probably won't be seeing much of me around here anymore. Peace.
Bon... there's some drummer's names that are inescapable, like Steve Gadd or Buddy Rich or ...John Bonham :), irrespectively of the type of music you play, these cats have done so much for the drumming community, every drummer should at least know their names and heard from them, it's understandable for the very beginner to be a stranger to the world of drumming, but once you've been hit by the drumming bug, there's certain names that most drummers should know.

As far as "repetitive" is concerned in regard to drummer's name(s), it's fairly normal and logical to me, they have inspired and influenced generations of drummers, and as a drummer, you're bound to talk about them, that why it's repetitive, but it's nice to know how other drummers feel about them.

I've discovered quite a few pro drummers since I joined the forum, they might not have the same "popularity" as Steve Gadd or Buddy Rich or John Bonham, but some of these guys just blew me away... and it's thanks to the forum members :)

I read much more than I post Bon, and I always find something worthwhile to read on the board, and joining this forum is one of the best thing I've done as a drummer, but as a human being too, ...you Paul and many others are top people, you're all part of my "family", this place is heaven, this place is a gold mine, this place is fraternity between drummers all over the world, and we can chat to each others, share feelings, admire each other's playing, exchange opinions on many topics regarding our cherished instruments... so many good reasons to stick around my dear friend, I agree with Jason, "you guys are great"

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
lol

This is not far from what I consider the norm today. I've worked several places where the former TEACHERS can be put in that category. Most of them didn't know what a paradiddle was, or how to hold a stick for that matter.

It's the wonderful modern world where everyone who knows three chords or a basic money beat without being sure of the difference between & 3 or 3 &, consider themselves top level musicians. It's sort of hillarious, but mostly just sad.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Good words said on this subject, but I think like anything, you take away from this place whatever it is that you want. I understand not all drummers want to be the drum heroes most of us look to when you say names like Gadd, Jordan, or Weckl, or Rich, and that's ok. Being a drummer isn't like being a doctor, or a lawyer, or an educator, so likewise, there's no set-standard curriculum that anyone has to go through in order to make a living as a drummer, if you can make a living at it at all. So, if all you want to do is play the money beat and not know what a Lesson 25 is, that's ok. If you do want to know that stuff, you will go out and get it, and if you don't know where to start, you can always post the question here and get a straight answer.

So it's all good. The only things I think are repetitive here are the "what drum kit should I buy" questions, but I even can understand that. New people join up all the time and it's a question that's important to them. So I no longer even look at those threads, but there's always something else interesting to read or see.

Sparkboss

I can second everything said in this thread.

As a matter of fact i have so much to say, i've got no clue where to start or how to organize what i've got to say! haha.

Anyway, i agree in full with the OP. I've met many drummers with whom i attempt to have an in depth drum conversation with about drums, but they don't know hardly any of the technical or historical information. And that includes the legends!!! There was even one guy in particular who was in a band (sort of a rival band of mine lol, highschool..) comprised of fairly talented fellas', including himself. However talent in the drumming world will never outdo knowledge. This guy had a drum teacher, who he idolized, and they both sort of followed dave weckl's doings like a religion. When i discovered this, i was surprised that he knew who he was since weckl isn't a huge name. This almost led me to believe that he knew a decent bit, then i sat behind his kit an cringed when i played his terribly tuned drumset. But shouldn't a teacher "teach" somebody how to tune their drums?? This moment was when i noticed that even people giving and recieving lessons may be as unprofessional as any other.

@ Gruntersdad. I would agree that there is some modern music that IS crap, but i wouldn't go as far to say ALL of it is crap. there is a very broad category of fairly new styles of music, and many of them actually do have a love and respect for the music as some of the older styles do. I am trying to be as unbiased as i can when i say this, but i feel that a genre is just like any other piece of equipment / preferrence in drumming, it is highly personal :)

@ Midnight Zephyr. DON'T YOU LEAVE US YOU WILL REGRET IT FOREVER. Repetition just solidifies as habit and knowledge, right? I'll admit that i get bored reading many things on here, but that's when i just start a new thread with what's on my mind, or use the search function to look for what i'm interested in! The other day i literally spent my 12 hour shift at work just reading what all the wise men on here had to say about mixing their own monitors at a gig! ( i got lucky i know ;) )

I myself started out as one of the un-educated wanna be super drummers, and i prided myself with my progress and little practice. However after about a year and a half of drumming i made a great decision, and i joined the REMO forums. There are very many info junkies there that helped me creat a great base to teach myself. i was able to ask any question and get amazing input from awesome people, and i learned so many things that all the other drummers i knew in person had no clue about! Took a big break from drumming, but once i noticed that drummerworld had a forum, i had to have a piece of it! I think that coming here to just talk about drums was another great decision, as i'm always willing to learn more, and i could talk about drums ALL DAY! Even my girlfriend says she doesn't wan't to hear my drum talk because she knows that i'll go on forever....

Anyway! i've only been actively posting on this forum for about two weeks now and i can tell that this is easily one of the best communities of people i have ever gotten involved with. Nowhere else have i ever been able to have a casual conversation with anybody from a started, to an extremely knowledgeable veteran, or even an pro drummer. Plus you guys help a rediculous amount when it comes to making decisions on anything from rudimental practice to purchasing thousands of dollars worth of equipment.

Couldn't wish for a better group of guys / gals

PS.. Sorry to say so much.. Told you i had a lot to say

Last edited:

bigd

Silver Member
I spend a lot of time in the company of professional players/teachers as well as with my son who aspires to be one of these people. The drum/percussion geekdom that I am exposed to far outsurpasses the conversations around here.They have their own forums where things are discussed.

I like it here because people seem to drum for just the total enjoyment of drumming and rocking out. I think it's fun and there's nothing wrong with that. If someone really has fun playing drums what does it matter if they know the greats or not. They are in it for they're own satisfaction and enjoyment.

MaryO

Platinum Member
Oh my...where to begin? This place has taught me so much and so many have been so willing to offer advice, wisdom and even equipment. The fact that there is such a range of talent, interests and involvement is what makes these forums so wonderful. I can truly say that without my time here, I would have given up on my drumming shortly after starting.
The patience that so many of you have shown with a total noob like me is amazing and I can say I learn at least one thing every time I read this forum. And thanks to this forum, I now CAN say that I know what a paradiddle is, who Steve Gadd is and the difference between a 3 & and a & 3 and so much more :)

I won't ramble on but I can say on this day of Thanksgiving, my Drummerworld family is something I'm definitely thankful for this year :)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
There is a drummer at my university who doesn't know what a cowbell is.

This person is an embarrassing musician overall though.
Cows wear bells? & why would I want bovine apparel on my drum kit anyhow. Sheesh, next you'll be telling me you shouldn't buy two cowbells before you can master one! Can you trigger them?

Anon La Ply

Renegade

I think I've got all this info now just from reading this website, but at some point it all becomes repetitive.
+1

I was exactly like Jason's local drummers in the 80s, except that I was a Steve Gadd tragic.

Agree that there are a lot of repetitiveness. If you really MUST get a life, then that's what you have to do, though it will be a shame not to see you around here. I occasionally consider getting a life too, but then I take a deep breath and persevere ;-)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Mary your new avatar is awesome. Leopard print gets me hot. You look great. Grea your avatar continues to creep me out lol. And Bon didn't really mean that, right man? Say it aint so!

MaryO

Platinum Member
Mary your new avatar is awesome. Leopard print gets me hot. You look great. Grea your avatar continues to creep me out lol. And Bon didn't really mean that, right man? Say it aint so!
Thanks Larry! Just had new pics made. This is the only one Ive seen so far, hoping to get the rest back in the next week or so. Avatar is kind of hard to see, check out this thread to see the full size pic... http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88951. And I must say, Grea's avatar creeps me out too, thought I was the only one!

Now back to our regularly scheduled postings...