Yet more band woes...

Daisy

I agree with everyone else. Give up and find another band. This is never going to work. #

A few years ago I joined a start up band. None of them had ever gigged. They all seemed very positive about getting a set together, and talked about the gigs they would be able to find etc etc. But like your band they would only get together once a fortnight, the guitarist cancelled a practice once because he was "busy with his garden", another one texted us as we were setting up for a practice, to tell us he would be late because he was picking up some friends from the airport: he finally arrived two hours later. And then practices started becoming family gatherings, friends or relatives of band members popping in for a chat. The last straw was when the bassist brought one of her grandchildren to the practice because there was "no-one else available to babysit".

Being the only one with gigging experience, I tried to explain how things should be working, but they just got to resent that after a while.

We played our first (and for me, only) "gig" - at a birthday party of a friend of one of the band members After over a year with this band, we had SIX numbers ready, and even then the singer didn't know the lyrics and had them on a stand in front of her.

Yep, run away. You're wasting your time.

Icetech

Gold Member
The stupid thing is, our bassist is a graphic designer, so we could get it done easily. They just don't want the bar owner to 'get one over us' or whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. It's utterly ridiculous. Why can't they look at the positives? Why be in a band if you're going to get all hung up over a stupid poster? I really wonder why I even bother.
You should point out that bands used to spend days plastering flyers everywhere and doing their own PR.. which is how alot of bands actually got fans. Sorry you are having these issues though.. Supposed to be an enjoyable thing.. not stress :(

Juniper

Gold Member
Yeah this is very lame from your bandmates.

I'd have to question the band's commitment if everyone's unwilling to spend a tiny bit of cash for something you could use on promoting yourselves.

Another one for your wasting your time view.

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Sorry to bring this to you guys. Judging by my previous posts (and there aren't many of them), it would seem that I like to moan about my band situation.

In a recent post I complained about the band I was in taking ages to learn songs and still making mistakes. I mentioned that we have a gig on 30th April which we are getting paid to do.

Well, for that gig, the bar owner has asked us to provide a 70×100 cm poster for them to put in their window. The rest of my band said we shouldn't have to fork out the money for the poster. I said I'd pay so we'd stay sweet with the bar owner. They said we shouldn't pay for the poster out of principle because we shouldn't let the bar owner screw us over.

The trouble is, it was me who got us this gig in the first place. What's more, the guitarist already asked me if I could ask the bar owner to change our set time to an earlier time so his kid didn't have to go to bed late. I said no, because maybe the bar owner would pull the plug.

To me, the whole thing is just pathetic. It would cost €4 (less than $10) each to get a nice poster done, which we would keep as a momento or to use for other gigs. I'm really starting to get sick of this attitude. I feel like I don't want to be in a band that has this kind of mindset. Sorry to keep moaning like this but I feel like I have noone else to turn to.
Sounds like your band think that the venue owner is 'the enemy'.

It's an increasingly common topic of conversation occurring on facebook I've noticed.

93civEJ1

I dont think I have ever complained about my gigs, well except maybe 1 or 2 where the venue was terrible.

Headbanger

Some people just like to get together with their friends to hang out. It could be a band, but it could just as easily be a DVD night or playing pool. There's nothing wrong with that as long as everybody is on the same wavelength, but if you're ambitious then you can't be dragging a group of hobbyists around with you.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
We make posters for every gig and someone from the band goes to the venue and posts them about a week in advance. Usually it is 8 x 10 (A4) but sometimes it is 11 x 17.

Your band mates seem to immature to me. Seems to me, like others have said, it will only get worse.

opentune

Platinum Member
erdberber quit already! if you want to do more with your drumming these losers are holding you back.

FreDrummer

Silver Member
The phrases, "The cost of doing business," and "You've got to spend money to make money" come to mind. This is getting absurd (wait a minute, I think it's well beyond that point). The way these "tools" (yeah, Dingus was a good one...) think, they may as well extend it out to the absurd conclusions of the bar owner owes you a new pair of sticks due to the wear and tear put on them at the gig, and the guitarist new strings...

If these guys want to limit things to social club/hobbyist level, fine. Nothing wrong with that, but you are all obviously not on the same page.

AxisDrummer

I was going to say, take a photo, print out some 8 x 10s and put a few in the next venue a week before or so. You can do that on your own printer.

This is exactly what I do for every show and it works. Print out 10-12 flyers on regular computer paper (I try to use glossy photo paper but my printer can be finicky grabbing the slick paper in the rollers).

I plaster them up around the venue in key spots...the bathrooms, near the ATM, change machine, etc....

Yeah I know ink can be pricey (sometimes near the amount we get paid per share!), but it's just a "cost of doing business."

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Some people just like to get together with their friends to hang out. It could be a band, but it could just as easily be a DVD night or playing pool. There's nothing wrong with that as long as everybody is on the same wavelength, but if you're ambitious then you can't be dragging a group of hobbyists around with you.
Right.

Our former guitarist just wanted to rehearse.

Jesus, what's the point of THAT ??

Icetech

Gold Member
Right.

Our former guitarist just wanted to rehearse.

Jesus, what's the point of THAT ??

Well.. i only drum cause i love it and i like to learn.. and drumming has taught me alot.. no desire to ever be in a band or have anyone even see me play. Different people have different reasons :) Plus i will always suck too hard to be in a band:)

P.S. if you do quit... make sure you have all your gear and stuff first.. never trust anyone :) just saying...

Erberderber

Thank you all for your comments. They were great, I very nearly called it a day last night, but I slept on it and decided to hang on for a bit longer. I have contacted them all and strongly told them how I feel about it. They have suddenly sprung into action and there will be a poster. Now they're talking about how much they're looking forward to gigging and saying they want to go into the studio soon. I dunno, I'll see it out until the gig, which I want to do especially as I finally get to use my own kit (new cymbals and heads) for the first time in absolutely ages as all rehearsals and gigs I've done over the past year have supplied kits and my flat isn't big enough to set up my kit. I'll see if things have improved/deteriorated after that and then make a decision.

I have started looking for another band, no harm in that, more than anything because I simply want to play more than I am now. I have a rewarding day job/career so I'm not looking to go high places with the drumming. I just want to play with a decent level of commitment and enjoy doing rehearsals and small gigs, then see where it goes.

Icetech

Gold Member
Awesome, hope it works out:) who knows maybe they will even carry a cymbal stand in for you one day :)

Woolwich

Silver Member
I'm glad this has cleared up, but without wanting to sound like the pessimist, I honestly have the feeling this is all going to unwind eventually :-( When I say that the only thing that could be remotely interpreted as being ever so lightly less than reasonable in your post was the size of the poster requested (A3 is the biggest I've used in the UK) then that tells you everything. And learning that one of your guys is a graphic designer anyway! Unbelievable.
Give it a few more weeks but I get the impression as others have pointed out that you're not all on the same page. The bar owner will easily find a replacement band (remember, yours hasn't even been advertised yet), and you'd do better to not have an association with these numpties at all than be "the guy from that band who were rubbish when we saw them".
It sounds like the other band members are in it for the social aspect of being in a band, which is great, but you want to gig and treat the band as a proper endeavour which actually isn't hard to do.
Keep us posted and best of luck.

tcspears

Gold Member
I don't think the bar owner is trying to get one over on your band, he just wants a poster...

As a band, they should have some sort of promotional material, even if the players aren't always the same. I'm freelance and work with countless groups, and they all have posters, post cards, et cetera, that they hang up and hand out. It's especially easy when your Bass player is a designer... it would take him 30 minutes to make a logo and a poster...

Erberderber

I'm glad this has cleared up, but without wanting to sound like the pessimist, I honestly have the feeling this is all going to unwind eventually :-( When I say that the only thing that could be remotely interpreted as being ever so lightly less than reasonable in your post was the size of the poster requested (A3 is the biggest I've used in the UK) then that tells you everything. And learning that one of your guys is a graphic designer anyway! Unbelievable.
Give it a few more weeks but I get the impression as others have pointed out that you're not all on the same page. The bar owner will easily find a replacement band (remember, yours hasn't even been advertised yet), and you'd do better to not have an association with these numpties at all than be "the guy from that band who were rubbish when we saw them".
It sounds like the other band members are in it for the social aspect of being in a band, which is great, but you want to gig and treat the band as a proper endeavour which actually isn't hard to do.
Keep us posted and best of luck.
You summed it up perfectly. I do think it will probably unwind over time, but will hang around until the gig at least. I'm not too worried about "being that guy in the rubbish band" because the venue is a low key place off the gig going radar and most of the crowd will be family or friends. It is however one of the reasons why I left a different group last year. At the last gig I did with that band I wanted the stage to swallow me up.

I also agree with tcspears, the bar owner simply wants a poster to cover the big window at the front facing the street. For me it's part of a band's policy. In work and leisure I've always had the approach of 'what can we do for you?' Judging by my band's behaviour recently, they have a 'what can you do for us? attitude.

moxman

Silver Member
It's only 27 x 40 inches. About 2 feet by about 3 ½ feet .... Your band mates sound like petty, sniveling idiots. Do they fight over who bought the last round, too? Or just insist on separate checks? Yeesh.
Lol.. yes it is kind of petty. That is a huge poster size.. most bars will want at least 11x17.. and yes the band should supply them. It's all part of marketing yourself. You can either print off a generic poster that leaves a whitespace area so different venues to write in the dates and details in black marker.. or as color printing is cheap these days - print off a custom poster for each venue and change the details on each poster (but keep a generic poster template like band photo, logo etc.)