Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage worth buying? (new to forum)

newb713

Hello, new to the forum and pretty new to drumming in general.. I actually play guitar mainly but I want to venture into playing drums and buying a set. I have an opportunity to buy a used Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage kit and the guy's asking price is $1000. What do you guys think would be a fair price for me to offer him? Here's whats included:

*22x17" kick drum
*14x5.5" wood shell snare
*8x8", 10x9", 12x10", 14x12" mounted toms
*18x16" separate floor tom (he bought separately, it's purple and the set is green)
*Zildjian ZBT 20" ride, 16" crash, 14" hi hats, 13" hi hats, 18" china, and cymbal bag
*Throne
*Stick bag/sticks
*Also comes with drum mute pads.

As far as wear, the snare looks like it needs a new head, otherwise the kit looks pretty untouched. The 13" hi hats look pretty worn but the 14" look almost brand new. I know the ZBT cymbals suck in general, they sound like crap. Even though they sound like crap idk how much that adds to the price of the kit if you're buying it used?

Lastly, I live in an apartment so do you think itd be ok with the drum mutes on the kit? I played the kit with the mutes on and it seemed to really kill down the volume of the kit. I dont really care about tone because I'm just trying to get better at drums, so I dont need it to have great tone for just practicing. However, I want a good sounding kit for when I'm using it in a live setting. I'm new to drums but to me, this kit sounded great when I played it. I was thinking of offering him $650, does this seem fair?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

412drummer

I personally would look elsewhere. I would look for a deasont kit on ebay or cl for around $300-$350 then spend the rest on good used cymbals. you can get a lot better gear that way imo and experience.

BGH

Gold Member
The problem with this kit, is that you are paying a BIG upcharge for the hardware and cymbals. The Yamaha hardware is very good, but as you stated the cymbals are not. The drums are worth maybe $300. The used hardware maybe $150-$200. Since the cymbals are almost worthless, $500 is the most I would spend.

But there are tons of kits like this for sale on eBay, craigs and guitar center's used section. If I was going to buy a Stage Series kit, I would buy the newer version which are 100% birch. As 412 said, keep looking. Look for newer, but used Stage Series kits and buy some nice (used) Zildjian A's. You can't go wrong with those, and there are usually a bunch of those for sale as well. Its a buyers market. Don't feel like you need to rush into any one deal.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Absolutely not. Great drums, but that is an unrealistic price. As the previous poster said, maybe $500. For that price, you could buy a new kit of equal or greater value.

Dutch

+ 1 from me. And as a former owner of a Stage Custom set I would suggest you look for a shell pack, without snare. IMO the Stage Custom snares aren't that great, and there are loads of better sounding snares on eBay/Gumtree for not too much money.

And welcome to drumming, enjoy!!

Dutch

newb713

What if he took $600? I did a search on craigslist and guitar center used section and I dont see any "good" drumsets in the $400-700 range but I'm new to this. And if I did see a kit that I thought to be decent quality, it didnt come with a throne or those drum mutes and wanted $500ish so essentially after buying drum mutes and the throne, i'd be back up to around $600 anyway..

What are some other models that are similar or better in quality compared with this yamaha stage custom advantage kit that I should keep an eye out for?

Lets say I could buy the kit minus the cymbals, what price would be "fair" for just the shells/hardware?

slowrocker

Silver Member
What if he took $600? I did a search on craigslist and guitar center used section and I dont see any "good" drumsets in the $400-700 range but I'm new to this. And if I did see a kit that I thought to be decent quality, it didnt come with a throne or those drum mutes and wanted $500ish so essentially after buying drum mutes and the throne, i'd be back up to around $600 anyway..

What are some other models that are similar or better in quality compared with this yamaha stage custom advantage kit that I should keep an eye out for?

Lets say I could buy the kit minus the cymbals, what price would be "fair" for just the shells/hardware?
You don't see any nice sets from $400-700 on GC used? You may want to check again. I just looked and saw x7's and pdp platinums, pearl sessions and masters, superstars and starclassic birch sets and cat maples and a lot of other nice sets. I don't know what you are meaning by no good sets but I saw a lot of nice ones. If you are wanting to see the drums before you buy, then I can't really help you as much there, but there are great deals to be found.

As for similar quality sets, I would say catalina birch sets tama silverstars and if you like maple wood then pdp m5 sets.

BGH

Gold Member
Yup, there are tons of used kits on GC. I took a look and counted over 50 used Yamaha Stage and Tour kits alone from $250-$700.

But, look, if you want to buy that kit, then go and buy it. Its that simple. We already told you its worth $500 w/o the cymbals, so why are you asking again? No one on here will think ill of you if you buy it. Buy it and use it in good health. And, I bet other than this thread, you won't be contributing much to this forum anyway. We get threads just like this every single day.

Take our advice if you wish. And if you don't, its all good. No worries.

newb713

+ 1 from me. And as a former owner of a Stage Custom set I would suggest you look for a shell pack, without snare. IMO the Stage Custom snares aren't that great, and there are loads of better sounding snares on eBay/Gumtree for not too much money.

And welcome to drumming, enjoy!!

Dutch
Thanks! What snares are not that expensive used? What do you look for in a "good" quality snare?

You don't see any nice sets from $400-700 on GC used? You may want to check again. I just looked and saw x7's and pdp platinums, pearl sessions and masters, superstars and starclassic birch sets and cat maples and a lot of other nice sets. I don't know what you are meaning by no good sets but I saw a lot of nice ones. If you are wanting to see the drums before you buy, then I can't really help you as much there, but there are great deals to be found.

As for similar quality sets, I would say catalina birch sets tama silverstars and if you like maple wood then pdp m5 sets.
Is birch typical for rock? I mostly play rock music..

Yup, there are tons of used kits on GC. I took a look and counted over 50 used Yamaha Stage and Tour kits alone from $250-$700.

But, look, if you want to buy that kit, then go and buy it. Its that simple. We already told you its worth $500 w/o the cymbals, so why are you asking again? No one on here will think ill of you if you buy it. Buy it and use it in good health. And, I bet other than this thread, you won't be contributing much to this forum anyway. We get threads just like this every single day.

Take our advice if you wish. And if you don't, its all good. No worries.
Well I want to get into drumming so honestly I expect to post more than this. Do you think I could sell the extra 2 toms in this kit on ebay or something? The floor tom doesnt match the rest of the set anyway and it's HUGE, it's 18". I was figuring if I did get this set, I would only use 2 or 3 toms while I learn the basics. I've heard from other drummers it's bad to start out with a double bass pedal because you dont even know the fundamentals yet so I figured it was similar thought process with a million toms starting out..? What is your advice on that?

Have any of you used those drum mutes? They have a different feel to them when you hit them obviously but they muffle the sound quite a bit. I live in an apartment so this seems like a NEED. I do not want an electric set.

slowrocker

Silver Member
Is birch typical for rock? I mostly play rock music..
Either will work. I just didn't know if you had a preference. You could find decent birch or maple kits for that price. You may just want to check to get the sizes you want. You can tune a drum to sound a little deeper or higher than normal, but go for the sizes you want, because that makes a big difference for a lot of people. I absolutely do not like to play deep toms. I like shallow toms. I just will not buy a drumset with deep toms or just big rack toms in general. Go with what you like, and then you won't nearly as much regret it.

Dutch

Thanks! What snares are not that expensive used? What do you look for in a "good" quality snare?
You need to investigate. Spend time on eBay, read forum content, check out what your favourite drummers use, read the manufacturers' websites, watch youtube, read more forums, lots of things to do but don't just ask. Because then all you'll get is an opinion from an individual for which someone else probably has an opposite view.

Or just get an Acrolite. Lots of people seem happy with them.

Dutch

BGH

Gold Member
The lower cost snares that guys love are the Ludwig Acrolite (as mentioned) and Pearl Sensitones. The Sensitones are available in different shell materials: steel, aluminum, brass and bronze. The prices vary with the steel shells being the lower cost version. It seems that Ludwig Supraphonic prices have dipped a bit. I'm seeing more of them in the $150 price range these days, but at that price would have some cosmetic issues. You should be able to snag a very nice Acrolite for $100-$140. Less, if you don't need it to be in nice cosmetic shape. I picked up a very nice Acro for $55 on CL and a Supra for $100 on CL a few years ago. The Supra needed some work but nothing too serious. Deals are out there. You just need to be looking and ready to jump if the right deal comes along.

newb713

Either will work. I just didn't know if you had a preference. You could find decent birch or maple kits for that price. You may just want to check to get the sizes you want. You can tune a drum to sound a little deeper or higher than normal, but go for the sizes you want, because that makes a big difference for a lot of people. I absolutely do not like to play deep toms. I like shallow toms. I just will not buy a drumset with deep toms or just big rack toms in general. Go with what you like, and then you won't nearly as much regret it.
can you explain this further, I'm not familiar with what you mean. Are you saying you like smaller rack toms in general? Like what sizes do you consider "good" for you on a kit?