Yamaha Recording customs

kjaer84

It's antique sunburst

What do you think about that? Rare? Easy to sell? No go...?

What color is it? If you want to add or replace some tom, or re-sale the kit, the color may make a huge difference on the price.

Black is a classic, should be easy to find and will sell quick.
The red is beautiful, but more rare.
I love the real wood, but these can be really tricky to find (but matches well with the new Chinese version).
I'd stay off the white.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
The sunburst are pretty rare. Also, I'm not an expert, but I think Yamaha has made 3 different sunburst variations over the kits lifetime. The older 70s and 80s sunburst has a matte finish, and the last ones made in Japan around 2010 had a heavy gloss over the sunburst finish. The finish also looks like it's colored slightly different. I've also seen a few sunburst that are a completely different color, more yellow and orange if that makes sense? The sunburst RC kits are beautiful and my personal favorite, but hard to find. Also, if you ever decide you wanted to add a different sized tom to the kit it might be hard to find a matching drum. Black RCs on the other hand are always for sale on reverb, eBay, almost any site that sells used drums.

BigRed9000

G’day I was googling info about Recording Custom Drums, as I just bought some and it led me to an ancient Drummerworld thread about why RC’s aren’t popular anymore, so here I am to put my hand up and say - I love RC’s!

What’s not to love?

The kit I bought is a Double Bass Drum Rig with 8”,10”,12”,13” Rack Toms and 16”,18” Floor Toms. The Bass Drums are 22” but are different depths (14” and 16”) and a matching 14” x 8” Snare! It is a 1991 Vintage MIJ in Hot Red and was ordered as single drums that made up a custom order.

This kit eluded me 4 years ago when it was sold before I could sink my claws in, but I finally got my chance!

I’ve always been a fan of Birch both in the studio and live, as a lot of my style involves fast hand / foot combos and I appreciate the staccato note of these drums. Having said that I’ve also had Maple and Composite kits that I’ve loved over the years but none as much as this beauty!

I believe that lack of marketing over the years has let RC’s slip off their pedestal a bit but those who know, just know... and Yamaha know that they have a winner so have only now just got Steve Gadd back on the marketing train with the re-vamped model of this prodigious drum series.

Anyway thanks for reading and I will post a couple of pics starting with the ones that were used to advertise the Big Red Beast!

Cheers from Down Under.

Attachments

Last edited:

kalakeitto

Hi guys,

I've been pondering over this interesting kit that went for sale yesterday. I have never ever owned a set of Yamaha's so I thought asking advice from someone more experienced than I am.

It's a mixed set of 24"x14" 9000 Recording Custom bass drum and 12"x12" and 15x12" 8000 Tour Custom toms. Plus a Stage Custom snare. They're from 1988 (toms) and 1991 (bd). Not mint but not any major dings either.
Now the price is about $1070, but there comes a big load of hardware and few ok-cymbals with them, which I think are worth of $500 at least.
What do you think? I think it seems an OK deal, but is there something I'm missing here. Or is it just so truly great that I have to drive the 170+ miles to get them...

Frosticles

Silver Member
Out of all the top end kits I have owned, Nothing plays like the RC's in my opinion. The toms are in a league of their own & never fail to amaze me :) I too though, will use a Maple Bass Drum (22x18) to record with over the 22x16 RC Birch one.

9Y0A5967 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

V-Four

Dang! This looks exactly like the set that I drooled over in the magazines back when I was a teenager (in the 80's) Color and all.

Needless to say (well, maybe it IS needed..), I ended up with a white Ludwig Rocker II with 1 kick 4 mounted toms and 1 FT. I actually miss the Ludwig, now that I think about it..

Lucky Duck.

T.

Attachments

Artstar

Platinum Member
Hi guys,

I've been pondering over this interesting kit that went for sale yesterday. I have never ever owned a set of Yamaha's so I thought asking advice from someone more experienced than I am.

It's a mixed set of 24"x14" 9000 Recording Custom bass drum and 12"x12" and 15x12" 8000 Tour Custom toms. Plus a Stage Custom snare. They're from 1988 (toms) and 1991 (bd). Not mint but not any major dings either.
Now the price is about $1070, but there comes a big load of hardware and few ok-cymbals with them, which I think are worth of $500 at least.
What do you think? I think it seems an OK deal, but is there something I'm missing here. Or is it just so truly great that I have to drive the 170+ miles to get them...
Are those the sizes you want ??? If they are then go for it.. if not.. then I would not settle for that even thought there are other components.

TJK

I’ve always found the bass drum lacking in the RCs on the one I owned. Toms were the cats ass however. My 2000 starclassic maple 22 x 17 was unmatched